• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Righteousness

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Is righteousness based on what we wear as a religion, or how we manifest beliefs by our actions?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Is righteousness based on what we wear as a religion, or how we manifest beliefs by our actions?
I think righteousness is what we can do.
Matthew 25:31-46

And then, to do it right we have to know how doing is related to what we believe.

I think that a person need not believe in something for his actions to be considered righteous.
On the other hand, wrong beliefs can interfere with the right actions, imo.

So, right does not lead to right. Wrong more so does not lead to right.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I think righteousness is what we can do.
Matthew 25:31-46

And then, to do it right we have to know how doing is related to what we believe.

I think that a person need not believe in something for his actions to be considered righteous.
On the other hand, wrong beliefs can interfere with the right actions, imo.

So, right does not lead to right. Wrong more so does not lead to right.

so it isn't what we wear that is a concern but how we act towards others as self?

not the plurality in the verse. sometimes we get carried away in our vanity and self importance above others based on how we look vs how we act.

Isaiah 64:6
But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.

Last edited:

WalterTrull

Godfella
Oh, probably neither. I am assuming righteousness means just. God is just. God is life. Life is just. We must be just. Always understood or happy, - not, but just.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
so it isn't what we wear that is a concern but how we act towards others as self?
I think it is God's concern what we wear. We can't know what is right to wear. Obviously.
How we act toward others while respecting God is what matters. imo.

What I mean is what we wear is important, but not our concern.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Righteousness is based on the assumption that one is right more than anything else. That requires no small amount of ego, arrogance, and/or self-assuredness. The term "righteousness" in particular has a tone of hubris to this one's ears... of putting oneself and one's causes on a pedestal above all other points of view. I don't really use the term that often.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Righteousness is based on the assumption that one is right more than anything else. That requires no small amount of ego, arrogance, and/or self-assuredness. The term "righteousness" in particular has a tone of hubris to this one's ears... of putting oneself and one's causes on a pedestal above all other points of view. I don't really use the term that often.

self-righteousness ≠ righteousness.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
In the Christian understanding... righteousness is what God has made us into.... and because of it we should carry a cart-load of good works. But definitely not defined by our works but rather by God's work through The Cross

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
In the Christian understanding... righteousness is what God has made us into.... and because of it we should carry a cart-load of good works. But definitely not defined by our works but rather by God's work through The Cross
Has made or makes?

Kenny

Premium Member
I believe in is making. God is making us into souls for good works.
OK... I have no problem with your belief system... I am just establishing what Christian scriptures declares...

Perhaps its a matter of definitions as to what righteousness mean. Your statement, in Christian lingo, is called the renewing of the mind and has nothing to do with being righteouse before God.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
OK... I have no problem with your belief system... I am just establishing what Christian scriptures declares...

Perhaps its a matter of definitions as to what righteousness mean. Your statement, in Christian lingo, is called the renewing of the mind and has nothing to do with being righteouse before God.
There is no being righteous before God. I am sure!

Kenny

Premium Member
There is no being righteous before God. I am sure!
It's a gift He gives as we trust Jesus who made those who ask, righteous. It is the righteousness that Jesus gives to us that make us righteous.

Certainly our personal righteousness cannot stand before God but it isn't the believers personal righeousness but that when God gave through The cross

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It's a gift He gives as we trust Jesus who made those who ask, righteous. It is the righteousness that Jesus gives to us that make us righteous.

Certainly our personal righteousness cannot stand before God but it isn't the believers personal righeousness but that when God gave through The cross
OK. I trust that the righteousness that Jesus won for us is something that can be at hand always.
Jesus never gives up on us. BUT, we can give up on the real Jesus and then what good is a person's righteousness?

Kenny

Premium Member
OK. I trust that the righteousness that Jesus won for us is something that can be at hand always.
Jesus never gives up on us. BUT, we can give up on the real Jesus and then what good is a person's righteousness?
When you receive a gift, it is yours. Yes He never gives up on you. If works didn't get you the gift, (not a work release program, or a community service requirement, or purchaseable) then works isn't what makes you keep the gift. It is His love that keeps you righteous. You might break fellowship but you never break relationship. The sacrifice wasn't for just yesterday's sin but tomorrow's too.

Thus, regardless of your personal righteousness,

"I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,

39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

If your trust is in Jesus... you are always righteous by His righteousness

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
When you receive a gift, it is yours. Yes He never gives up on you. If works didn't get you the gift, (not a work release program, or a community service requirement, or purchaseable) then works isn't what makes you keep the gift. It is His love that keeps you righteous. You might break fellowship but you never break relationship. The sacrifice wasn't for just yesterday's sin but tomorrow's too.

Thus, regardless of your personal righteousness,

"I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,

39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

If your trust is in Jesus... you are always righteous by His righteousness
I agree. If you keep trusting Jesus then you are always righteous by his righteousness.