• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Right to die legislation.

David1967

Premium Member
How do you feel about this? People that I know feel very strongly about this whether for or against it. Some states and countries have this others don't. Do you think that a person should have the right to legally end their lives to escape the suffering of, for example, a terminal illness? If yes, with what limitations. If no, why? Please share your thoughts on this.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Very much for Right to Die legislation. BUT I have some reservations about family members pressurising ill relatives to die.
So, it would have to be a fairly transparent system with doctors signing off before committing to doing the deed.

David1967

Premium Member
Very much for Right to Die legislation. BUT I have some reservations about family members pressurising ill relatives to die.
So, it would have to be a fairly transparent system with doctors signing off before committing to doing the deed.

I agree. Very thoughtful opinion.

Aquitaine

How do you feel about this? People that I know feel very strongly about this whether for or against it. Some states and countries have this others don't. Do you think that a person should have the right to legally end their lives to escape the suffering of, for example, a terminal illness? If yes, with what limitations. If no, why? Please share your thoughts on this.
Ideally, anyone over the age of 25 who have no children, other dependants or debts should be allowed to legally and humanely end their life via assistance from a medical professional.
An artificially prolonged waiting period should be in effect: 1, 2 or 3 years.
Lots of regulation needed to prevent abuse.
The only aspect I'm uncertain about if confidentiality: should the family/workplace be informed, or should it all remain private between the doctor and patient?

It should absolutely be legal for people with painful terminal illnesses, including children if they so wish. People should not be made to suffer needlessly just to calm some peoples' fear about their own mortality, or because it intereferes with their religious perspective etc.

David1967

Premium Member
Pretty much. It's not up to anybody other than yourself whether you are alive or bot.

I agree with you to a point, but if someone is suffering from a treatable mental illness that causes them to have suicidal thoughts, should we not try and get them help?

FTNZ

Agnostic Atheist Ex-Christian
Ideally, anyone over the age of 25 who have no children, other dependants or debts should be allowed to legally and humanely end their life via assistance from a medical professional.
An artificially prolonged waiting period should be in effect: 1, 2 or 3 years.
Lots of regulation needed to prevent abuse.
The only aspect I'm uncertain about if confidentiality: should the family/workplace be informed, or should it all remain private between the doctor and patient?

It should absolutely be legal for people with painful terminal illnesses, including children if they so wish. People should not be made to suffer needlessly just to calm some peoples' fear about their own mortality, or because it intereferes with their religious perspective etc.
I support voluntary euthanasia with sensible rules to prevent abuse. I don't think criteria about age, having children, dependents, or debts should be involved as they are irrelevant. Not sure what you mean by a waiting period but it doesn't seem necessary and I think it would disadvantage some people. I don't see why doctor-patient confidentiality should be breached and especially why a workplace should be informed. I think the criteria would need to be wider than just pain, as there are many other symptoms of illness that may be intractable. And IMO the illness need not be terminal, either.

In summary, I think suicide should be legalised, period. There are times when a person is not physically capable of doing this, so medical assistance should be provided. Doctors should be allowed to opt out if they wish, but patients should be told at the outset that this doctor does not provide this service. If necessary, government should incentivise people to train for the necessary skills, so that there are enough people able to help. There are many doctors who want to be able to provide this service, including a NZ doctor who developed terminal cancer and used his story to join the law reform campaign.

I have always said that if I was diagnosed with dementia or another progressive illness that would totally destroy my quality of life, I would end my life before things progressed beyond the point where I could act. I would much prefer it if it was legal and straightforward for a doctor to do it for me, as it has more chance of success, and would probably be more humane. My family's views on the matter are irrelevant because I believe in absolute bodily autonomy. They all know I feel this way and they accept it and agree. If I had to do this I would certainly let people know and have a process of putting my affairs in order first.

There was a case recently in NZ of an elderly couple who were long time advocates for voluntary euthanasia law reform. Their four children were well aware of their views and supported their parents in them. One day one of the children found them deceased, lying on their bed holding hands. I think that was beautiful, and the ultimate expression of self determination and dignity.

I value the preciousness of life so much that I would never consider ending mine unless my current or future distress was significant. If that happens, I hope the law will have been changed so that I can make my own decision, prevent suffering, and die with dignity.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I agree with you to a point, but if someone is suffering from a treatable mental illness that causes them to have suicidal thoughts, should we not try and get them help?
Not if said person doesn't want and likely won't respond to treatment.

FTNZ

Yes. But the kind of law reform I envisage would take this into account. I have lost several friends to suicide caused by mental illness. In some cases, the illness is so difficult to treat that it may not even be possible to treat. So the "treatable" part can be difficult to judge.

FTNZ

Not if said person doesn't want and likely won't respond to treatment.
I disagree. Often a person does not want treatment at that time, but using legal force to hold them in a safe environment while treatment is attempted does save lives. It is very difficult to be sure that they likely won't respond to treatment.

David1967

Premium Member
I support voluntary euthanasia with sensible rules to prevent abuse. I don't think criteria about age, having children, dependents, or debts should be involved as they are irrelevant. Not sure what you mean by a waiting period but it doesn't seem necessary and I think it would disadvantage some people. I don't see why doctor-patient confidentiality should be breached and especially why a workplace should be informed. I think the criteria would need to be wider than just pain, as there are many other symptoms of illness that may be intractable. And IMO the illness need not be terminal, either.

In summary, I think suicide should be legalised, period. There are times when a person is not physically capable of doing this, so medical assistance should be provided. Doctors should be allowed to opt out if they wish, but patients should be told at the outset that this doctor does not provide this service. If necessary, government should incentivise people to train for the necessary skills, so that there are enough people able to help. There are many doctors who want to be able to provide this service, including a NZ doctor who developed terminal cancer and used his story to join the law reform campaign.

I have always said that if I was diagnosed with dementia or another progressive illness that would totally destroy my quality of life, I would end my life before things progressed beyond the point where I could act. I would much prefer it if it was legal and straightforward for a doctor to do it for me, as it has more chance of success, and would probably be more humane. My family's views on the matter are irrelevant because I believe in absolute bodily autonomy. They all know I feel this way and they accept it and agree. If I had to do this I would certainly let people know and have a process of putting my affairs in order first.

There was a case recently in NZ of an elderly couple who were long time advocates for voluntary euthanasia law reform. Their four children were well aware of their views and supported their parents in them. One day one of the children found them deceased, lying on their bed holding hands. I think that was beautiful, and the ultimate expression of self determination and dignity.

I value the preciousness of life so much that I would never consider ending mine unless my current or future distress was significant. If that happens, I hope the law will have been changed so that I can make my own decision, prevent suffering, and die with dignity.

As I get older this is something that I often think of. I don't want to outlive my health, which now is very good. I'm 49 and in very good physical shape. When my health fails and I need assistance to live, well, I just hope I have the right to end this life with dignity before I end up in the Hell that is a nursing home.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I disagree. Often a person does not want treatment at that time, but using legal force to hold them in a safe environment while treatment is attempted does save lives. It is very difficult to be sure that they likely won't respond to treatment.
What kind of mental illnesses do you have in mind?

David1967

Premium Member

I agree with you. I know people who are thankful that they were transported to a medical facility that helped them through such a time.

David1967

Premium Member
One's life is one's own.
To end it is one's right.
If help is needed, then this should be legal to secure that right.
Regulation to prevent errors & mischief would be appropriate.

Short, sensible, to the point answer REV. Thanks.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

FTNZ

As I get older this is something that I often think of. I don't want to outlive my health, which now is very good. I'm 49 and in very good physical shape. When my health fails and I need assistance to live, well, I just hope I have the right to end this life with dignity before I end up in the Hell that is a nursing home.
I don't mind living in a nursing home as long as I have my wits about me. I will be one cantankerous old lady, lol.

David1967

Premium Member
I don't mind living in a nursing home as long as I have my wits about me. I will be one cantankerous old lady, lol.

When I get to the point in life that I cant go to the bathroom by myself and bathe myself.....I'm outa here. That's just me.