• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RF's Failed Search Function

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
We kept hearing that it'll be fixed.
Promises, promises.
(Should we cut staff pay in half til it's done?)
It works a little bit, but still not worth using.
What's a poster to do?
I've taken to using Dogpile to search for text
beginning with "religious forums". This is the
best way I've found to locate threads.

Ella S.

*temp banned*
I'm not a web developer by any means, but I do know the basics of HTML, SQL, CSS, etc. I am a little curious about what the issue is with the search function, since it seems like it would be a relatively simple tool to code.

Is there an issue with how the threads are logged? Or is it just a matter of gaining access to the web development tools used by this site's server administration?

I notice that it's quite common for websites like this to have a communication gap between the web administrators and the actual devs and sysadmins. It killed one of the previous forums I was on because the site admin vanished in the face of what seemed to be a SQL buffer overflow.

If that's the case, then you could theoretically code your own web crawler specifically for this site and host it on another site. That's a lot of work that I wouldn't blame the mods for not wanting to do, though.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm not a web developer by any means, but I do know the basics of HTML, SQL, CSS, etc. I am a little curious about what the issue is with the search function, since it seems like it would be a relatively simple tool to code.

Is there an issue with how the threads are logged? Or is it just a matter of gaining access to the web development tools used by this site's server administration?

I notice that it's quite common for websites like this to have a communication gap between the web administrators and the actual devs and sysadmins. It killed one of the previous forums I was on because the site admin vanished in the face of what seemed to be a SQL buffer overflow.

If that's the case, then you could theoretically code your own web crawler specifically for this site and host it on another site. That's a lot of work that I wouldn't blame the mods for not wanting to do, though.
The only modern computer terminology I'm familiar with...
Keyboard
Screen
IBM card

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Promises, promises.
What's a poster to do?

Scotty figured out what the problem is.

27945b96-dccc-4314-b49e-247475d80d03_text.gif

Even Dr. Daystrom is stumped.

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?

So were you born super intelligent or was this something you managed to develop as you grew?
All of your posts are a pleasure to read as I am an admirer of smart people!

What's a poster to do?

I've found that if you type something into the search bar and run the search it doesn't work properly.

But on the results page if you click on "search" in the toolbar it then takes you to a search page that works (at leats it does for me):handpointdown:

upload_2023-1-6_22-23-4.png

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
@Revoltingest - complain complain complain. I for one laud and applaud the hard working and dedicated starff's every effort.
I'll laud their success...when it arrives.
Blaming staff for something beyond their control
isn't fair, but it is still loads of fun...like setting a
dingo loose in the staff day care facility. Fun day
that was.
Til then....
OIP.VuOtKdpLkLUUd3BtpbnUVAHaEK

Last edited:

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
The only modern computer terminology I'm familiar with...
Keyboard
Screen
IBM card

Wow! You're really advanced with this stuff... I only know the first two.

I don't have to learn computer stuff. I have a teenage son.

"I need help with my computer! I don't know why it isn't working!"

".... Mom, you have to turn it on first..."

"I need help! The sound isn't working!"

"...Mom, you have it on mute..."

He's so smart.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Wow! You're really advanced with this stuff... I only know the first two.

I don't have to learn computer stuff. I have a teenage son.

"I need help with my computer! I don't know why it isn't working!"

".... Mom, you have to turn it on first..."

"I need help! The sound isn't working!"

"...Mom, you have it on mute..."

He's so smart.
You're young.
I remember moving from punched paper tape to
the more advanced IBM cards. Oh happy day!

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
You're young.
I remember moving from punched paper tape to
the more advanced IBM cards. Oh happy day!

I don't know what a punched paper tape is, either. :)

I might be young, but my tech know how is legendarily lacking. I left school in 2003. That's about where my tech learning stopped.

My phone:

61bHDcV9k2L.jpg

But, I thought ahead. By having the kids so far apart(oldest 16, youngest 4), there will be young folks around for years to come who can help me figure out that I can't log in somewhere because I have caps lock on.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I don't know what a punched paper tape is, either. :)

I might be young, but my tech know how is legendarily lacking. I left school in 2003. That's about where my tech learning stopped.

My phone:

View attachment 70226

But, I thought ahead. By having the kids so far apart(oldest 16, youngest 4), there will be young folks around for years to come who can help me figure out that I can't log in somewhere because I have caps lock on.
In high school (graduated in 71) we wrote programs
on paper tape. Then we fed it into a machine that
communicated with a mainframe somewhere else.
b9c23c73fd80a9a4a3c6488f433c3b5b--paper-tape-computers.jpg

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
In high school (graduated in 71) we wrote programs
on paper tape. Then we fed it into a machine that
communicated with a mainframe somewhere else.
b9c23c73fd80a9a4a3c6488f433c3b5b--paper-tape-computers.jpg

Sounds fun!

That looks like it could double for a fashion accessory.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Promises, promises.
What's a poster to do?

I've been using the advanced search and it works well for me.

I use it when I'm looking for a specific topic in my posts (see here) or specific posts by other members (for example, you).

FYI, click on "More" and you will find it.

Search Screenshot.png

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I've found that if you type something into the search bar and run the search it doesn't work properly.

But on the results page if you click on "search" in the toolbar it then takes you to a search page that works (at leats it does for me):handpointdown:

View attachment 70225

I knew you were good with history! Now we can add one more piece of evidence to the list. :D