• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RF as a Microcosm

Jistyr

Inquisitive Youngin'
An odd question has come over me recently, and I am interested to know what everyone here thinks about it:

Can Religious Forums ever be viewed as an appropriate microcosm of the world/society?

This forum certainly has enough different religious perspectives to cover all of the prominent ones in society. And many of the discussions and quarrels that take place here are almost synonymous with those of the real world.

I have my own opinion on the subject, but I really want to hear what you all think about the concept.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
It might, but there are things I say here that I don't say anywhere else. I usually don't seek out atheists to debate about religion. If I am with an atheist, I don't talk about religion at all.

Jistyr

Inquisitive Youngin'
It might, but there are things I say here that I don't say anywhere else. I usually don't seek out atheists to debate about religion. If I am with an atheist, I don't talk about religion at all.
True. There is a big difference between a person on the internet and a person in the real world.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
IMO, No. RF attracts an exceptionally well-informed and thoughtful lot, much more likely than most to have taken the time to be familiar not only with the details and ideas of their own cultural traditions, but also more likely to have explored some other cultures' traditions with a level of open-mindedness.

Jistyr

Inquisitive Youngin'
doppelgänger;1056382 said:
IMO, No. RF attracts an exceptionally well-informed and thoughtful lot, much more likely than most to have taken the time to be familiar not only with the details and ideas of their own cultural traditions, but also more likely to have explored some other cultures' traditions with a level of open-mindedness.

penguino said:
No not at all, we are too nice and diplomatic people to represent the wider picture.

I agree.

I would also personally answer no, because, no offense to the world, but the members at RF are much more intellectual and civil than society at large. The people here like to get to the bottom of the issues that they discuss, and understand them inside and out, unlike the majority of people who just regurgitate the same words they heard before on the subject.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
An odd question has come over me recently, and I am interested to know what everyone here thinks about it:

Can Religious Forums ever be viewed as an appropriate microcosm of the world/society?
Every single person on this forum has a high enough standard of living that they have internet access.

A few months ago, I saw a news/interview/current affairs program that mentioned that 70% of the world's population has never heard a dial tone.

So... to answer your question, my intuition says probably not.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
A microcosm? No.

We are too affluent, too intelligent and (except for me) too darn good looking! :D

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
I would say not. I would say we all have a thing in common, in that, we ALL here, have some interest or some reason to be discussing things of a spiritual or religious nature. Not everyone wants to talk about such things with everyone else. Or even cares.

So who DO we represent?

-people with internet access
-people who want to discuss religioin/spirituality
-intellectuals
-nice and diplomatic people
-a well-informed and thoughtful lot
-those with open-mindedness.
-affluence(?)
-intelligence (mostly ;))
-good-looking people (!)

seems already we're reasonably limited with relation to representing the bigger picture

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I don't believe so. First of all, RF is made up of people who have an interest in exploring ideas and beliefs. Much of the world really doesn't. Everyone here has at least enough education to be able to contribute verbally to some of the many conversations that are going on. Many of the people in the world couldn't if they wanted to. Also -- there are far, far too many Latter-day Saints here to make RF an appropriate microcosm of the world. :D If this were the real world, RF would have to have 15 million members before the first Latter-day Saint could join.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
So who DO we represent?

-intellectuals
-affluence(?)
-intelligence (mostly
wink.gif
)
-good-looking people (!)
ok, so add

- excess LDSers?

Fluffy

A fool
No. If RF was representative of the real world then the world wouldn't be plagued with so many problems.

Of course in RF we don't actually have to deal with any realities so you could say it is easier for us. However, compared with other forums, I feel that there must be something special about us.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
So who DO we represent?

-intellectuals
-affluence(?)
-intelligence (mostly;)
wink.gif
)
-good-looking people (!)
- excess LDSers
Add:
-Special people

Fluffy

A fool
We are a microcosm of BYU ;). Not that this would be a bad thing. Given how badly Mormons are treated elsewhere on the net I'm very glad that we are friendly enough to attract them.

I feel that RF, due to its lack of religious agenda beyond equality, is likely to attract more people for minority groups such as liberal Christianity, atheists, paganism etc.

Additionally, due to the language of RF being English, I feel that we are likely to attract a greater number of people from English speaking countries. We don't have any members from France as far as I am aware.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
So who DO we represent?

-intellectuals
-affluence(?)
-intelligence (mostly
wink.gif
wink.gif
)
-good-looking people (!)
-excess LDSers
-Special people
-No Frenchies :p (ok, people who speak English)

We are a very specific group of representatives aren't we?