• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reveal your age with a pic

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Ah, yes, those modern innovations.

Used_Punchcard_%285151286161%29.jpg

Before my time.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Ah, yes, those modern innovations.

Used_Punchcard_%285151286161%29.jpg
Best not to drop a stack of them apparently, but these were for the professionals, and not for the likes of us (me) who were getting to grips with home computers and what they offered then. :D

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I actually programmed in Qbasic in high school during the 90's. It was obsolete even then, but I guess it was to teach us how coding in general works. I even won an award for it, yet that's all faded from my memory over the decades. Had all kinds of neat games that I had created saved to a 3.5 floppy that unfortunately became lost to the sands of time. I started dabbling in python these days.
I wrote a tic tac toe playing program in BASIC.
It was absurdly simple, & not really worth doing,
but I just liked the idea that a computer could
play a game.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Best not to drop a stack of them apparently, but these were for the professionals, and not for the likes of us (me) who were getting to grips with home computers and what they offered then. :D
IBM cards, eh.
So modern!
It was quite an advancement over punched paper tape that I used.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
IBM cards, eh.
So modern!
It was quite an advancement over punched paper tape that I used.
Well we had the tape too, for our PDP-8s, but these were under the control of our computer experts and not for the engineers, even if some of us managed to get into the systems and play with them. :eek: Note. Best to not have system passwords printed out somewhere. :D

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I wrote a tic tac toe playing program in BASIC.
It was absurdly simple, & not really worth doing,
but I just liked the idea that a computer could
play a game.
I made a game called "Tanks on Ice" where two players each controlled a tank (they shared a keyboard) and the tanks slid about trying to shoot each other as the border slowly closed in. It was janky but my classmates loved it and my teacher was impressed. I really regret losing that game (and not sticking to learning programming). Hopefully I'll eventually learn enough to recreate something like it in python.