• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Retention rates.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
The retention rate of Atheists is 30%, the lowest, because those belonging to Atheism became as such without a positive proof or evidence in its favor; they must shift it as soon as they realize their blunder.

Regards

I totally don't believe that. Atheists, as I said before, probably shift to 'not sure' or 'don't care'. I would hardly call it a blunder. In fact I rather like atheism. It seems way more plausible than some faiths.

In some ways atheism and Hinduism are far closer than Hinduism and any of the 3 Abrahamic faiths.

Last edited:

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
It's rather surprising to see Christianity divided by denomination rather than the general designation of Christian in the Chart. I think Buddhism, Hinduism, and Judaism shouldnt have been lumped together comparatively with the Christian designations.

That's because it's a Christian site/study so they are more concerned with Christianity.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
In some ways atheism and Hinduism are far closer than Hinduism and any of the 3 Abrahamic faiths.

I don't agree with this either, but I wouldn't be able to say with confidence which religions Hinduism has the mot in common with. It has much in common with the Abrahmaic religions, with 'pagan' religions, with other Eastern religions and also with atheistic sentiment. It's hard to compare Hinduism with atheism as atheism is not a belief system.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
The retention rate of Atheists is 30%, the lowest, because those belonging to Atheism became as such without a positive proof or evidence in its favor; they must shift it as soon as they realize their blunder.

Regards

It surprises me that the statistic is so low but having said that my observation is that atheists tend to covert to religions like Buddhism...which is mostly atheistic anyway.

In addition, the pattern seems to be that more and more people are becoming atheist or agnostic and I believe this will continue to rise over time.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I totally don't believe that. Atheists, as I said before, probably shift to 'not sure' or 'don't care'. I would hardly call it a blunder. In fact I rather like atheism. It seems way more plausible than some faiths.

I so agree!

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
It surprises me that the statistic is so low but having said that my observation is that atheists tend to covert to religions like Buddhism...which is mostly atheistic anyway.

In addition, the pattern seems to be that more and more people are becoming atheist or agnostic and I believe this will continue to rise over time.

30% is way too low as a retention rate for Atheism as such. Most of us never adopt a religion at all.

The only way I can believe that number as anywhere close to accurate is if it applies to people raised into atheism, i.e., by Atheist parents.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Regards

That... is simply not realistic.

Things do not happen that way in this world we live in.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

And sometimes or more often; you might be wrong.

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I don't agree with this either, but I wouldn't be able to say with confidence which religions Hinduism has the mot in common with. It has much in common with the Abrahmaic religions, with 'pagan' religions, with other Eastern religions and also with atheistic sentiment. It's hard to compare Hinduism with atheism as atheism is not a belief system.

I agree with you here.

Regards

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

Sure. That's why I said 'in some ways' . Really depends on the atheist, and on the Hindu. I was only going on one experience really, a discussion with my atheist brother who through his ignorance of Hinduism, accused me of being like those 'other religious fanatics' (in other words, the Christian proseltysers he knew). I just wanted to get him to shut up and listen for 2 seconds, but he would have none of that. :)

All I wanted to say was, "We may have more in common than I do with them."

But maybe the real reason I retain a fondness for atheism is that I was raised agnostic bordering on atheism.

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

From no-religion they journey to religion.

Regards

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
But maybe the real reason I retain a fondness for atheism is that I was raised agnostic bordering on atheism.

That is interesting. I'm curious on what you mean exactly. Did you feel that you were expected to be agnostic or "borderline atheistic"?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
That is interesting. I'm curious on what you mean exactly. Did you feel that you were expected to be agnostic or "borderline atheistic"?

Dad rarely talked about it, and when he did, it was neutral of negative. He quit the church at age 8 or so when after a particular sermon on neighbourliness, the neighbours in a rich car drove right by his sisters and him ... on a rainy wet day. He saw the hypocracy and made a decision then and there. Except for weddings and funerals, he never went back. So it was mostly agnostic, with the occasional rant on atheism thrown in. I had freedom to search, so at age 17 or so I did. I can remember going to that same church once, as well as another ... once. Wasn't for me. Mom stuck me in vacation Bible school once I was too young to remember much. But later a cousin told me I made such a fuss about going that they let me stay home after the second day.

Then I discovered something just so magical. :)

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Thoughts?
-If it's for the US, the highest retention rates (Hindus, Jews, Muslims) correspond to religious and ethnic minority groups in the US. There's more going on there than religion.

-Descriptors like "atheism" and "none" aren't really comparable to religion. Families don't go to atheist churches and celebrate their atheism together, or their "none". There is only a limited community around atheism, and it's not exactly a weekly family thing, so kids and atheism/none is not exactly a big thing.

-Except for Jehova's Witnesses, most of the actual religions on the list with the lowest retention rates are liberal denominations of Christianity. I've been reading over time that liberal/moderate Christian churches in the US are indeed having growth problems. Evangelicals are doing fine, and secularism is growing, but the middle way of moderate and liberal Christianity doesn't seem to be doing well. It seems that people are moving away from them either to Evangelism, or to secularism, or syncretism.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Here's a study comparing retention rates by religion. (Just for US, I think) I think all faiths struggle to some extent these days. With much more education available, people shift around a lot more in belief, that I suspect they did even 50 years back.

I don't see it as a bad thing, just an observation on life.

Thoughts?

Religious retention rates
This reminds me of a study done comparing self reporting of church attendance with actual behavior. Ask people how often they go to church and they give you one answer. Ask them to describe what they do on Sunday and church attendance drops over half.
Tom

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I take it that you mean atheists?

Atheism, of course, needs nothing. After all, it is nothing. :)

I've always thought of agnosticism as no belief, and atheism as a belief. After all, one is saying, "I don't know, maybe, maybe not" whereas the other says , "Oh yeah, I know all right. There absolutely is no God."

But my understanding could be way off too.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I've always thought of agnosticism as no belief, and atheism as a belief. After all, one is saying, "I don't know, maybe, maybe not" whereas the other says , "Oh yeah, I know all right. There absolutely is no God."

But my understanding could be way off too.

That is one of those endless discussions... Agnosticism, at least in one of its possible forms, is itself a belief (that of the existence of God being impossible to determine).

Those discussions are troubled, and perhaps pointless and hopeless, IMO because one would be hard pressed to determine what "God" would be.

Nevertheless, all that Atheism "needs" is the absence of any belief in the existence of deities. Even if by default.