• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Results Thread

gnomon

standing_alone said:
Sweet! I'm glad the Dems took the House. Now if they develop a backbone and some policy ideas, we may get somewhere! :D

Well, that's the rub. It's not like they didn't have it so many times before...well, let's just hope. I'll stop being the skeptic for a bit.

I recommend the Washington Post and their updates on ballot initiatives. Some of 'em are pretty scary.

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/elections/2006/ballot-items/

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Well, it looks like the House will be solidly locked up. The Democrats bid for the Senate will come up one or two spots short. I think VA, TN and MO will all go Republican, which Montana goes to the Democrats as the fourth D pickup. Very impressive.

And in a practical sense, all that really matters is that one of the two houses go over so that the minority party will have the power to manage investigations and issue subpoenas for now. Bush would have vetoed any actual legislation coming out of a Democtratic congress anyway.

It's been fun. Have a great night everybody.

doppelganger

Webb just took his first lead with 99% reporting!

This is big. The last precincts are usually city precincts, which will trend toward Webb. It looks like Macaca may be no more . . . stay tuned . . .

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
With 99% in, Webb is ahead!

This is big. The last precincts are usually city precincts, which will trend toward Webb. It looks like Macaca may be no more . . . stay tuned . . .

Heh, you beat me!

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
doppelgänger said:

WHOOOT!!!

BE STILL, MY BEATING HEART!

doppelganger

They are still calling TN, MT and MO too close to call, but I think all three are pretty well locked up. TN and MO are almost certain to end up Republican. MT is going Democrat. IF Webb hangs on to his very narrow lead in VA, the Senate will be 50-50 with tiebreaking votes cast by Darth Cheney.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
doppelgänger said:
They are still calling TN, MT and MO too close to call, but I think all three are pretty well locked up. TN and MO are almost certain to end up Republican. MT is going Democrat. IF Webb hangs on to his very narrow lead in VA, the Senate will be 50-50 with tiebreaking votes cast by Darth Cheney.

How would that balance in the Senate affect Bush's ability to appoint judges?

Ody

RevOxley_501 said:
georgia went republican all the way

what a suprise

Kill me

btw---in about 10 seconds im posting a journal about GA elections on the Livejournal link in my sig

I'm a LJ raider, don't tempt me.

doppelganger

Sunstone said:
How would that balance in the Senate affect Bush's ability to appoint judges?

They'll have to be fairly moderate. If he loses even a couple fiscal conservative Goldwater types with another religiously inspired appointment, it won't go through.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Virginia still too close to call. They're saying that no matter who is declared the winner the loser will demand a recount.

Senator Macaca is talking at the moment. :cover:

doppelganger

Yeah . . . looks like it's going to be a while in VA. However, I spoke too soon on MO. McCaskill was trailing by 5% or more all night, but with 74% reporting, she now leads Talent. This was the race that featured the Michael J. Fox ad on stem cell research.

UPDATE: Now it's back down to 71% reporting at both NBC and CNN with Talent leading. What's going on? They both just had 74% with McCaskill leading about five minutes ago.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Keith Ellison won! He will be the Rep for Minnesota's 5th congressional district! Yay! :clap2:

Why am I so excited about the victory of a soon to be freshman congressman in Minnesota? Because Keith Ellison will be the first Muslim American elected to our Congress. And because Ellison has proven himself able to reach across divisions and bring a wide spectrum of people together behind him. He's an African American Muslim who has the support of people of all races and religious backgrounds. Look for him in the future. He's going to be a bright star in Dem politics.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
The Colorado House, Senate and Governorship went Democrat tonight. A great wailing and knashing of teeth can be heard from where I'm at coming from the direction of the Focus on the Family Headquarters here in Colorado Springs.

doppelganger

Corker (R) beats Ford (D) for TN Senate. Close, back and forth race over the last month, but Corker's GOTV was strong down the stretch.

doppelganger

Sunstone said:
The Colorado House, Senate and Governorship went Democrat tonight. A great wailing and knashing of teeth can be heard from where I'm at coming from the direction of the Focus on the Family Headquarters here in Colorado Springs.

Perhaps they should repent in sackcloth and ashes.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Omigawd! CNN is broadcasting from Tryst right now! That's a local trendy cafe in my neighborhood.