• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Response to a post (About myself being Gender Fluid)

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
@VoidCat said in a thread I probably wasn't allowed to post on, and I didn't out of courtesy:

Imma tag @Snow White. Because these folk are trans(I think snow White is but I'm not sure they may just be gender fluid and not like the label trans)

I wanted to thank @VoidCat for the insights, but answer that I identifed as trans at one point, but now identify as Gender Fluid because:

1. I couldn't take all the debate in real life when I identified as trans. Especially when I considered it just a label.

2. As trans, I felt there was an expectation for me to "pass", ie look like the other gender. That's not to say I couldn't. However, I also consider gender to be a bit of a fluid thing, and in a general sense, while it's often treated a bit more binary by people than I feel it actually truly is. Perhaps it's binary for some, though - I'm not really debating that. And yes, there are some who treat their gender in a straight up, binary fashion, while some, like myself, are a bit more fluid with it - it's even that way among some cis people (especially cis women).

My other thoughts:

3. If you ask me which restroom I'd use, I'd say: "Whatever one it seems the most appropriate for myself, a Gender Fluid person, to use, and in a social sense, rather than what my own personal opinion is."

4. Since we're in the debate section, I admit that conservatives can try to make the argument that "Gender has gone too far", and point to "Gender Fluid" labels as being another symptom of that. However, despite myself not agreeing with conservatives completely on much of anything regarding this matter, I'd like to suggest that myself identifying as Gender Fluid may be quite logical because it's like I'm saying "Look, I realize that there's a bit of a culture war going on. And I've chosen to be somewhat pacifist, in this instance, and try to look outside of it", and I'm awaiting better questions and better ideas and better solutions in regards to the subject of the trans debate.

That's not to say I don't both sympathize with trans people, and support them from afar in a fairly large sense, as well.

It's also not to say that all conservative opinions voiced at me are falling on deaf ears.

Personally, I think it's time for new labels altogether. The old ones have too much pain and hurt and controversy and heartache and confusion. And I think this time, when deciding these labels, conservatives and liberals both should be consulted. It shouldn't be a push from just one side. And I also feel that we need crystal clear labels. Labels so clear, that when a person uses them, the other person knows immediately whether they are trans or cis or exactly what or who they are.

I think if we can get conservatives to agree that trans people are here to stay, and that they do agree with it, we too should make a compromise (on my side) and make sure these matters are clear to other people, including conservatives (at least the ones who are more reasonable about the subject).

Honestly, this is probably one of the more hot button threads I've made. It may go well. It may not. Sometimes, emotions run high in these kinds of threads. But still, I feel it's an important subject, so I'm crossing my fingers for the best, and sending this thread off with a song:

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Part 2:

I think one way of getting away from the labels is developing a separate term and terminology rather than grouping trans women and cis women (or trans men and cis men) together in the context of human language. It's certainly okay for some people to group the two together. However, I also think we shouldn't "force" people to group the two together. We should give others the personal autonomy to come to it on their own terms.

If we're just going to force people to accept something, they'll be prone at rejecting a concept completely, not even hearing the specific good points of something.

Last edited:

Kfox

@VoidCat said in a thread I probably wasn't allowed to post on, and I didn't out of courtesy:

I wanted to thank @VoidCat for the insights, but answer that I identifed as trans at one point, but now identify as Gender Fluid because:

1. I couldn't take all the debate in real life when I identified as trans. Especially when I considered it just a label.

2. As trans, I felt there was an expectation for me to "pass", ie look like the other gender. That's not to say I couldn't. However, I also consider gender to be a bit of a fluid thing, and in a general sense, while it's often treated a bit more binary by people than I feel it actually truly is. Perhaps it's binary for some, though - I'm not really debating that. And yes, there are some who treat their gender in a straight up, binary fashion, while some, like myself, are a bit more fluid with it - it's even that way among some cis people (especially cis women).

My other thoughts:

3. If you ask me which restroom I'd use, I'd say: "Whatever one it seems the most appropriate for myself, a Gender Fluid person, to use, and in a social sense, rather than what my own personal opinion is."

4. Since we're in the debate section, I admit that conservatives can try to make the argument that "Gender has gone too far", and point to "Gender Fluid" labels as being another symptom of that. However, despite myself not agreeing with conservatives completely on much of anything regarding this matter, I'd like to suggest that myself identifying as Gender Fluid may be quite logical because it's like I'm saying "Look, I realize that there's a bit of a culture war going on. And I've chosen to be somewhat pacifist, in this instance, and try to look outside of it", and I'm awaiting better questions and better ideas and better solutions in regards to the subject of the trans debate.

That's not to say I don't both sympathize with trans people, and support them from afar in a fairly large sense, as well.

It's also not to say that all conservative opinions voiced at me are falling on deaf ears.

Personally, I think it's time for new labels altogether. The old ones have too much pain and hurt and controversy and heartache and confusion. And I think this time, when deciding these labels, conservatives and liberals both should be consulted. It shouldn't be a push from just one side. And I also feel that we need crystal clear labels. Labels so clear, that when a person uses them, the other person knows immediately whether they are trans or cis or exactly what or who they are.

I think if we can get conservatives to agree that trans people are here to stay, and that they do agree with it, we too should make a compromise (on my side) and make sure these matters are clear to other people, including conservatives (at least the ones who are more reasonable about the subject).

Honestly, this is probably one of the more hot button threads I've made. It may go well. It may not. Sometimes, emotions run high in these kinds of threads. But still, I feel it's an important subject, so I'm crossing my fingers for the best, and sending this thread off with a song:

With all of the complications associated with Gender, maybe we should get rid of gender all together; and only label people according to their biology; like we do with animals.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
With all of the complications associated with Gender, maybe we should get rid of gender all together; and only label people according to their biology; like we do with animals.

I feel that could actually lead to more confusion. Because it doesn't tell you who's trans, etc. For example, let's say you were talking to someone online who told you they were a woman. But they're actually a pre-OP trans man. Normally, they would tell you that they're a trans man. But under what you suggested, they would tell you that they're a woman.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Sadly, this wouldn't resolve the "issue" either given biological sex isn't actually all that straightforward either.

The core "issue" is we have a group of humans that wants to keep everything a simplistic binary that doesn't reflect the realities of either gender (social construct) or sex (physiological, also informed by social constructs). But a new set of "crystal clear" categories like Snow White suggests in the opening post would run into problems too even if it introduced more nuance. Why? Because the map is not the territory. It doesn't matter how many word-things we put on observed and experienced phenomena, it still is not that phenomena - it's how we've chosen to package and understand it to communicate. Applied word-things can be changed and have mismatches with the territory in specific situations.

Maybe a better approach is to remember that word-things are shortcuts that do not preclude thinking. What I mean by that is humans create maps of territory because they need cognitive shorthands as the experience life to navigate it more efficiently. It helps with faster decision-making by removing the need to think and consider - if someone says "let's go to a restaurant" you have an idea of what that experience will be because you have a map for the territory "restaurant." You know you'll be served food, probably get to sit down, and socialize. But there's fluidity to the word-thing "restaurant" too in terms of the type of food, the atmosphere. So the word-thing shortcut only takes the mind so far and from there some thinking needs to happen. Word-things that map "sex" and "gender" ought to be considered similarly. If someone says they are "woman" what does that actually tell you about them, and what doesn't it tell you about them? Just remember to think and not stereotype too much.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/they/it/neopronouns
I feel that transitioning does change your biology. At least if you go on hormones. Like hormonely I have due to starting T hormone levels similar to a cis dude. Would that not make my hormonal sex male? I mean many things make up sex hormones, chromosomes, reproductive organs... Heck going on T has changed my reproductive organs. My clit has enlarged giving my gentials an appearance that looks ambiguous. And the behavior of those genitals have changed to be more masc...as in orgasms are more focused on gentials rather then full body, and the clit behaves very similar to a penis in having erections and could potentially be used in penetration. It no longer is similar to a cis woman's. The hormones have also changed my secondary characteristics- the hair on my face is getting darker I may grow a beard. The bone structure is different like cis men my shoulders are getting more broader. My voice is deepening. I no longer get periods.

Basically my biology is changing. Hormonally im no longer a female. I may be chromosomally tho i never had my chromosomes checked but my hormonal sex is no longer female. And id say my reproductive organs are now ambiguous sexwise.

Last edited:

Kfox

I feel that could actually lead to more confusion. Because it doesn't tell you who's trans, etc. For example, let's say you were talking to someone online who told you they were a woman. But they're actually a pre-OP trans man. Normally, they would tell you that they're a trans man. But under what you suggested, they would tell you that they're a woman.
Under my suggestion; If a biological male who identifies as a woman told me he were a woman, he would be giving me false information. To tell the truth he would have to tell me he is a man, and if he wishes he can go so far as say he identifies as a woman, and perhaps even explain what what it means to identify as a woman.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Under my suggestion; If a biological male who identifies as a woman told me he were a woman, he would be giving me false information. To tell the truth he would have to tell me he is a man, and if he wishes he can go so far as say he identifies as a woman, and perhaps even explain what what it means to identify as a woman.

That's fine, but that wasn't the question.

Kfox

Sadly, this wouldn't resolve the "issue" either given biological sex isn't actually all that straightforward either.

The core "issue" is we have a group of humans that wants to keep everything a simplistic binary that doesn't reflect the realities of either gender (social construct) or sex (physiological, also informed by social constructs).
Actually if we distinguish according to biology instead of gender, it does reflect the simplistic binary of sex.
If someone says they are "woman" what does that actually tell you about them,
Under my idea it tells me they are a biological human female.
and what doesn't it tell you about them? Just remember to think and not stereotype too much.
It doesn’t tell me anything else about them.

Kfox

I feel that transitioning does change your biology. At least if you go on hormones. Like hormonely I have due to starting T hormone levels similar to a cis dude. Would that not make my hormonal sex male? I mean many things make up sex hormones, chromosomes, reproductive organs... Heck going on T has changed my reproductive organs. My clit has enlarged giving my gentials an appearance that looks ambiguous. And the behavior of those genitals have changed to be more masc...as in orgasms are more focused on gentials rather then full body, and the clit behaves very similar to a penis in having erections and could potentially be used in penetration. It no longer is similar to a cis woman's. The hormones have also changed my secondary characteristics- the hair on my face is getting darker I may grow a beard. The bone structure is different like cis men my shoulders are getting more broader. My voice is deepening. I no longer get periods.
Many female Bodybuilders have experience many of the same things; but that doesn’t make them a male. Taking steroids does not make a woman a man. If you have the “Y” sex chromosome, you are a man; if all of your chromosomes are “X”, you are female.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Actually if we distinguish according to biology instead of gender, it does reflect the simplistic binary of sex.
You probably didn't learn about this in school. I didn't - I only learned about it because I studied biology in undergrad.

To add, it gets even less binary when we stop looking just at humans. Plant sexes would break some people's brains, I think.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Perhaps I've misunderstood you. So there is no confusion; what is the difference between a pre-Op trans male vs a trans male?

Sorry about that. I may have made it too confusing. I'll try to explain it a bit simpler:

Say a person who was born a woman was on testosterone hormones as part of transitioning. They had no surgery done, but they look and act like a male. Under what you propose, they can say that they are a woman. However, wouldn't you still want to know that they're on testosterone and look and act like a male?

Which shows the need for better terminology, in my opinion, rather than just relying entirely upon biological terminology.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/they/it/neopronouns
Many female Bodybuilders have experience many of the same things; but that doesn’t make them a male. Taking steroids does not make a woman a man. If you have the “Y” sex chromosome, you are a man; if all of your chromosomes are “X”, you are female.
And how many folk get their chromosomes checked?