• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Respect for Religious Beliefs?

Light On

Someone asked a few pages back what I meant by not respecting atheists saying they are atheists to appear "cool".

You mean you've never heard of that? Man! Over a 2 week period I probably ran into 6 or 7 of them! Not even on this forum.. But a horse forum. They were maybe.. 12? 13? Said they didn't belive in God even though they said they were "spiritual". What the heck is that supposed to mean?

I hate it when people take the bible and spin it around to their likings. That infuriates me. So do I respect everyone's beliefs? No.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Someone asked a few pages back what I meant by not respecting atheists saying they are atheists to appear "cool".

You mean you've never heard of that? Man! Over a 2 week period I probably ran into 6 or 7 of them! Not even on this forum.. But a horse forum. They were maybe.. 12? 13? Said they didn't belive in God even though they said they were "spiritual". What the heck is that supposed to mean?

I hate it when people take the bible and spin it around to their likings. That infuriates me. So do I respect everyone's beliefs? No.

Theism is not a prerequisite for spirituality, and neither is the Bible.

What is the prerequisite for spirituality? Selflessness, discipline, charity, humility, being content, etc...

Jeremiah

"Said they didn't belive [sic] in God even though they said they were "spiritual". What the heck is that supposed to mean?"

It just means they are passionately, philosophically inclined. Albert Camus, also claimed to be "spiritual".

Don't over look the fact that, atheist are humans just like you. There is nothing the theist can feel or understand that the atheist cannot also come to know and vice versa.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
How could Baha'is accept virtually all other religions as legitimate and God-sent when just about every religion is contradictory with everything else?
Jehova's Witnesses say Jesus is a created being like the Archangel Michael; Christians say Jesus is God the one and only, always has been and always will be;
Muslims say Jesus was a prophet, just a man like Moses or Muhammed; Mormons say Jesus used to be a man but became a God;
Jews don't believe he was the messiah;
Hindus and Buddhists mainly believe he was a good man, but a mere man nontheless.

There is absolutely no way that one person can simultaneously be a man, God from a man, God eternally, and a created being like an angel.

It's like me saying I'm a human, animal, a rock, and a loaf of bread all at the same time.
You're right. and any dogma which holds that any human figure shrouded by the dust of history is anything more than man is deserving of criticism and analyzing in light of modern reason and sanity. but I digress. an important question, is do all forms of beliefs deserve respect (as opposed to the general religion, and the religious public).

Smoke

Done here.

Wow, there's no fooling you. I bet they'd watch watch what they say if they knew about your psychic ability to discern their motives.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Wow, there's no fooling you. I bet they'd watch watch what they say if they knew about your psychic ability to discern their motives.
Spiritual gifts can be mysterious...
sometime its being the star of a Galilian party for turning water into wine, and sometimes its giving a quick and accurate psychological analysis of teen agers on the internet. the Lord works in mysterious ways.

Jeremiah

And, not to mention, her uncanny ability to defy probability. Running into atheist is common on site likes this one, but 6-7 outspoken atheist in just 2 weeks on a Horse forums, all ranging in age, 12 - 13 is just crazy unlikely. Outside philosophy, religious and atheist forums, in my 10+ years of foruming I can recall running into two other, self proclaimed, atheist.

I don't understand where people are finding all these vocal atheist. On the net, those that are spiritually and/or philosophically incline cluster together, but in the real world I have ran into only one other individual that was an outspoken atheist.

Last edited:

Jeremiah

Even if you are specifically looking for them...and adding anyone who is not your specified specific flavour of religion as an atheist?

People do often tend see what they what want to see. Although, people also tend to hyperbolize allot as well.

Last edited: