• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Republicans outraged over a Sikh praying at the RNC

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
Mefferd Outraged That People 'Who Don't Have The Slightest Similarity to Us' Allowed to Pray at RNC | rightwingwatch.org

This is something else. Conservative Protestant Christians are outraged that a Sikh would be allowed to offer prayers at the RNC. They're also miffed that Romney is a Mormon, and indicated that they think he shouldn't be allowed to pray there, either. They think too many different gods, false gods, mind you, are being invocated there. The last quote of this piece is just epic, "I'm not saying people from different religions can't vote Republican, but what this really is is a syncretism that is kind of seeping under the door like a gas." To me, this is the conservative mindset. Subjugate people who don't believe like you, act like you, think like you. Any thoughts?

MD

qualiaphile
In a way this is good news, tells more minorities not to vote republican. I know lots of hindus/muslims/sikhs who are anti tax, pro capitalism, pro libertarian, pro life, pro military spending, anti universal health care, etc. And they ALL vote democrat because this is how minorities view the Republican party. Heck I even know pro Israel Jews who vote democrat!

Last edited:

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
In a way this is good news, tells more minorities not to vote republican. I know lots of hindus/muslims/sikhs who are anti tax, pro capitalism, pro libertarian, pro life, pro military spending, anti universal health care, etc. And they ALL vote democrat because this is how minorities view the Republican party. Heck I even know pro Israel Jews who vote democrat!

Right. They're chasing people away who would normally agree with them and vote for them simply because they wear their bigotry on their sleeve.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I read the OP title, & find that it generalizes too much from the opinion of a couple Pubs.
Moreover, the article speculates about what might happen but hasn't happened yet.
Certainly, Xianity & Judaism rule the roost in the party....& in the Dems too, albeit with greater subtlety.
But we should be fair in criticism.
Certainly, we'd object to Dems being demonized if a couple of them uttered some bigoted statements.

Last edited:

MD

qualiaphile
Right. They're chasing people away who would normally agree with them and vote for them simply because they wear their bigotry on their sleeve.

Yeap. Even I sometimes agree with a few things they say. But then I see Bill O'Reilly or Glenn Beck or an article like this and realize I would never vote for the Republican party as it stands today.

I honestly believe Ron Paul was the most qualified candidate from the republican party. I felt that he was so good that some democrats would have definitely voted for him. But then again most republicans would not have, and the democrats who would have 'defected' would have been far too inadequate compared to the republicans who wouldn't have voted period. Thus, Romney came out on top.

If the republicans lose this election (which I hope), there's a good chance more and more people like Ron Paul will become popular. I'm young and he had an impact on me. Aside from his anti universal health care and his anti GW stance, I would have to say I agree with him on almost all his views. I can only imagine the impact he had on other people.

Last edited:

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
He can come pray with the Dems. Gays are welcome in our party, minorities are welcome and those that are pro-choice are welcome.......heck, we'll accept anyone......I love when Republicans show their true nature.....

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
So a couple republicans are upset over a prayer from a non-christian and a liberal posts a tweet wishing that all the RNC attendees would die in a flood.

Seems to be politics as usual.

Harmonious

This is just sad
Yes it is. While Janet Meffered is outraged, shouldn't we be focused on the fact that the people at the RNC are looking forward to tonight's invocation as much as they were Rabbi Meir Soloveichik on Tuesday, and Ken and Priscilla Hutchins on Wednesday?

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
He can come pray with the Dems. Gays are welcome in our party, minorities are welcome and those that are pro-choice are welcome.......heck, we'll accept anyone......I love when Republicans show their true nature.....
Is it their true nature, or is it just confirmation bias?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So a couple republicans are upset over a prayer from a non-christian and a liberal posts a tweet wishing that all the RNC attendees would die in a flood.
Seems to be politics as usual.
And that is what is so polarizing.
We see in this thread that anti-Pub partisans are also chomping at the bit to see only the worst in their foe.
I have plenty of reasons to not vote for Republicans, so I needn't rely upon false confirmation bias.

Don't be all hate'n here people.
There are real issues to consider instead.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
And that is what is so polarizing.
We see in this thread that anti-Pub partisans are also chomping at the bit to see only the worst in their foe.
I have plenty of reasons to not vote for Republicans, so I needn't rely upon false confirmation bias.
Shhhhhhh! No one is supposed to come right out and say that! It makes them uncomfortable.;)

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
Actually, Revolting, I find that I'm normally just as disgusted at Democrats as I am Republicans, just for different reasons. This being a religion forum, I thought I'd post something from the RNC that was based on religion. Are there better reasons to not vote Republican? Yes. But it's their stance on religion that I focus on. So while their pro-death, pro-slavery, anti-poor, anti-minority stances, not to mention their horrendous economics, bad foreign policy, and atrocious education policy, not to mention their rejection of the greenhouse effect and their seeming desire to destroy this planet, are all very good reasons to not vote for them, I like to focus on their religious views and policies, i.e., their idea that anyone who is not a conservative Protestant Christian shouldn't have any rights at all. And this article perfectly illustrates the fact that they think this way. It's not moot, it's a manifestation of their inherent elitism.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
In a way this is good news, tells more minorities not to vote republican.
In all honesty, it's this kind of prejudice that is gradually turning me from a Republican into a Democrat. I voted for Obama last time, and the way things are looking right now, he'll get my vote again. I am absolutely sickened by the piety and intolerance of the religious right.

Harmonious

In all honesty, it's this kind of prejudice that is gradually turning me from a Republican into a Democrat. I voted for Obama last time, and the way things are looking right now, he'll get my vote again. I am absolutely sickened by the piety and intolerance of the religious right.
Why are you focused on one intolerant voice, a blogger I never heard of until I saw this thread, instead of rejoicing with the others at the RNC who gladly welcome the invocations of the Rabbi on Tuesday, Christians yesterday, and the Sikh today?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Republicans outraged over a Sikh praying at the RNC
All Republicans? ...
10% of the Republicans? ...
1% of the Republicans? ...
0.1% of the Republicans? ...​

Conservative Protestant Christians are outraged that a Sikh would be allowed to offer prayers at the RNC.
All Conservative Protestant Christians? ...
10% of the Conservative Protestant Christians? ...
1% of the Conservative Protestant Christians? ...
0.1% of the Conservative Protestant Christians? ...​

Any thoughts?
Paint with a more appropriate brush.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Actually, Revolting, I find that I'm normally just as disgusted at Democrats as I am Republicans, just for different reasons. This being a religion forum, I thought I'd post something from the RNC that was based on religion. Are there better reasons to not vote Republican? Yes. But it's their stance on religion that I focus on. So while their pro-death, pro-slavery, anti-poor, anti-minority stances, not to mention their horrendous economics, bad foreign policy, and atrocious education policy, not to mention their rejection of the greenhouse effect and their seeming desire to destroy this planet, are all very good reasons to not vote for them, I like to focus on their religious views and policies, i.e., their idea that anyone who is not a conservative Protestant Christian shouldn't have any rights at all. And this article perfectly illustrates the fact that they think this way. It's not moot, it's a manifestation of their inherent elitism.
Pro-slavery? Desire to destroy the planet? Oh, dear....
Are we talking about the same party in the same century?
No wonder those 2 sides just can't talk to each other.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
Pro-slavery? Desire to destroy the planet? Oh, dear....
Are we talking about the same party in the same century?
No wonder those 2 sides just can't talk to each other.
Glad to know I was not the only one who thought "WTF?" when I read that.