• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious Survey for College Class

ajgrewell

Hello all! My name is Austin and I am currently a college student in Northern California, USA. I am taking a "History of World Religions" class this semester and it has really opened my eyes to the different kinds of religion that the world has to offer. As a final project for the class, our instructor has assigned us a project to interview a person of non-Christian faith about their religion. If you would like, please respond to some of the following questions leaving a first name and what religion you associate with. It would help out a lot!

1. What beliefs and values in your religion make it attractive and meaningful to you?
2. What are some key practices, rituals and festivals in your religion?
3.What are the important symbols in your religion (if any)?
4.What must a person do to be officially recognized as a follower of your religion?
5.What is the role of this religion in your social life?
6. What does your religion believe happens to a person after death in this world?
7.Where does the universe come from, how was it created, and for what purpose?
8. Do women have a different role than men in this religion?

Thanks again everyone for your help, I really appreciate all responses!

Austin

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I'd answer but it would take a book, maybe two, so to quote a far greater mind ... "Greetings!"

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
Hello all! My name is Austin and I am currently a college student in Northern California, USA. I am taking a "History of World Religions" class this semester and it has really opened my eyes to the different kinds of religion that the world has to offer. As a final project for the class, our instructor has assigned us a project to interview a person of non-Christian faith about their religion. If you would like, please respond to some of the following questions leaving a first name and what religion you associate with. It would help out a lot!

1. What beliefs and values in your religion make it attractive and meaningful to you?
4.What must a person do to be officially recognized as a follower of your religion?
6. What does your religion believe happens to a person after death in this world?

Austin
Ahmadiyya Mulims
Peace be on all.
1. What beliefs and values in your religion make it attractive and meaningful to you?[

Understanding about Ever-Alive God, Morals, Purpose of life, How to live with self, How to live with world, Various rights.....

== Proclaiming 'There is none worthy of worship but Allah, Muhammad is his Messenger'

== Five daily Prayers -- Fasting [Ramadhan] -- Charity [Zakaat] -- Performing Hajj -- Believe and practice in Holy Quran and all its teachings and that it is evergreen and for all humanity -- God sent teachings and Prophets (Messengers) in previous times too but they were time and nation bound [All Messengers have died including Prophet Jesus, peace be on him and second coming means coming of someone else like him....as Elia / John the Baptist case)-- All holy attributes of Allah --All Messengers -- Holy Prophet (pbuh)'s practice on Holy Quran and its Explantion by Promised Messiah and his Khalifs -- Angels -- Satan /Negative force -- Some matters are destined, some are associated with effort -- Day of Judgment -- No spread of faith by force -- Salvation comes with Grace of God; Grace of God is linked with true belief and good deeds -- Latter days Reformer called 'Promised Messiah and Mahdi' has come to bring God and humanity closer and spread peace and stop religious wars and he has come as ardent devotee of Holy Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessing on him) -- There is no compulsion in religions to choose from -- All matters shall be judged on Day of Judgment -- Successorship (called Khilafat, Now fifth one is heading by Grace of Allah ) of Promised Reformer is working now with Ahmadiyya Muslim Comunities in 200 plus countries with motto Love for all hatred for none. -- The Ahmadiyya Khilafat has no political ambitions it is spirtual overseer and keeps checks an guides in morals and progress of Community and members in all walks of life-- Be good citizen of country of residence -- Give precedence to faith over worldly matters -- Pay rights of God and rights of people -- How to do fruitful Prayers.

== Two Eid festivals; one after Ramadhan, and few weeks latter another, to remember the spirit of sacrifice of Holy Abraham and Holy Ishmael, peace be on them.

== Every year, there are Annual Gatherings in many countries, where Ahmadiyya Muslims gather for three days for spiritual learing and worship togather. These are called Jalsa Salana.

Kabah, Holy Quran, Minaret of Promised Messiah, Ahmadiyya Flag

Proclaim:'There is none worthy of worship but Allah, Muhammad is his Messenger'
Accept the Refomer who came according to prophecies of Hazrat Muhammad s.a.w, which are based on Holy Quran.....It means do his Bai'at with his Khalifah and practice teaching of true Islam and tell the world too.

Driving force and it is Way of life.

Body leaves and disintegrate into basic elements. Soul seperates and goes to Allah to be accountable for deeds. It is all upto God. As general rule taught is Holy Quran, good deed doers in world would go to paradise, bad deeds doers will be sent to Hospital called Hell. After treatment (suffering) they would be sent to paradise....God is ultimate decision-maker. To get grant of love and extreme nearness of God is the ultimate aim of a good deed doer humble believer.

God started the universe with ceation and process of directed evolution; at each step where numerous possiblities were options, God pushed things into a particular direction, objective was human. Human was made to worship God in terms of love. Worship must lead to pay human rights. The Purpose of Human is discussed in detail.

Men are born of women. Soulwise they are same. Body wise they are different. Male carries XY chromosome, female XX i.e., male comes with variation, woman with abundance....Men and woman generates servants of God in the life. Their sphere of responsiblities is different, just as their bascis. They complement each other, not compete.......When their roles is disturbed, both gender do same work society is disturbed and houses get empty, family is disturbed, children go astray, short circuits occur (pre marital things, doubts take over, family breaks) and unrest starts which lead to all kinds of troubles. Woman in True Islam.

Note: Current Issues are mentioned and guided in in Friday Sermons by Ahmadiyya Khalifah (may Allah be his Helper) in alislam.org regularly which keeps all Ahmadiyya Muslims focused and fully aware of their role in world.

Last edited:

Ablaze

Buddham Saranam Gacchami
Name: Abhaya
Religion: Buddhism

The core beliefs of Buddhism are the Four Noble Truths (1. the existence of suffering, 2. the cause of suffering = craving, 3. the cessation of suffering = the end of craving, 4. the path to liberation from suffering = the Eightfold Path) and the Eightfold Path (1. noble view, 2. noble intention, 3. noble speech, 4. noble action, 5. noble livelihood, 6. noble effort, 7. noble mindfulness, 8. noble concentration). These foundations provide an outline of the symptom, diagnosis, prognosis, and cure for our condition, followed by a roadmap for how to practice the path to freedom. Buddhist values include abstaining from causing harm, practicing upright conduct, and purifying the mind. What makes Buddhism meaningful is how it encourages the cultivation of perfect wisdom, ethical virtue, and meditative concentration.

Uposatha (Lunar) Observance: During each phase of the moon, devout Buddhist practitioners adopt the eight precepts (1. to refrain from killing, 2. to refrain from stealing, 3. to refrain from sexual conduct, 4. to refrain from lying, 5. to refrain from intoxicants, 6. to refrain from eating after mid-day, 7. to refrain from singing, dancing, media entertainment, cosmetic beautification, and other distractions, 8. to refrain from using a luxurious bed) to help settle the mind into deeper states of calm and concentration.

Vesak: During the full moon of the fifth/sixth month of the lunar calendar (usually April or May but sometimes June), Buddhists observe this annual commemoration of the Buddha's birth, enlightenment, and death. Ceremonies include gathering at temples for chanting and other rituals. Serious practitioners recommit to the ethical guidelines laid forth by the precepts and meditate.

Rohatsu: This is the observance of the Buddha's enlightenment on the eighth day of the twelth month (December 8th) in the Zen tradition. Typically this involves extended "sesshin" - an intensive meditation retreat. Mindful awareness is brought to all aspects of life, whether work, cooking, eating, sitting meditation, walking meditation, or various other activities. Tea ceremonies and meal ceremonies are common during Rohatsu.

3. What are the important symbols in your religion (if any)?

Among the most prevalent symbols in Buddhism is the lotus flower. In fact, lotus imagery is found in all Buddhist traditions. The lotus symbolizes the capacity to transcend the impurities of the world. With roots firmly planted in mud, the flower floats calmly atop the surface of the pond. Rising above murky waters, it unfurls its petals. The lotus is symbolic of the Buddha's awakening, as shown by the following scriptural quotes:

"As the flower of a lotus, arisen in water, blossoms, pure-scented and pleasing the mind, yet is not drenched by the water, in the same way, born in the world, the Buddha abides in the world; And like the lotus by water, he does not get drenched by the world." (Udayin Thera, Theragatha 15.2)

"Like a blue lotus, rising up, unsmeared by water, unsmeared am I by the world, and so, brahman, I'm awake." (Dona Sutta, Anguttara Nikaya 4.36)

"As the prickly lotus is unsmeared by water & mud, so the sage, an exponent of peace, without greed, is unsmeared by sensuality & the world." (Magandiya Sutta, Sutta Nipata 4.9)

"Just as a red, blue, or white lotus born in the water and growing in the water, rises up above the water and stands with no water adhering to it, in the same way the Tathagata — freed, dissociated, & released from these ten things — dwells with unrestricted awareness." (Bahuna Sutta, Anguttara Nikaya 10.81)

4. What must a person do to be officially recognized as a follower of your religion?

Generally, taking refuge in the Buddha (the capacity for awakening), the Dharma (the teachings reflecting the Way), and the Sangha (the community of dedicated practitioners) is the official requirement for being recognized as a Buddhist. Arguably, making an effort to maintain the five precepts (1. to refrain from killing, 2. to refrain from stealing, 3. to refrain from sexual misconduct, 4. to refrain from lying, 5. to refrain from intoxicants) is also necessary. Recognizing the three traits (not-self, impermanence, dissatisfaction) that characterize all worldly existence is another distinguishing factor.

5. What is the role of this religion in your social life?

I tend to associate more with others who take an interest in contemplative practice. Unlike most people, I have never had an interest in sensory indulgences. Instead, I prefer socializing with people who think deeply about meaningful subject matter - beyond small-talk, superficialities, and idle chatter.

Rebirth. The Buddha did not support the existence of a permanent self that persists from life to life, like a soul. He discouraged needless speculation on the matter, deeming it unnecessary to the cessation of suffering. In place of reincarnation, which implies an eternal identity that returns after death to inhabit a new body, the Buddha used the term "punabbhava," which translates literally to re-becoming. Rebirth as the recycling of the impersonal aggregates that make up the psychophysical being. The result is that the new life is neither the same nor different from the previous life.

7. Where does the universe come from, how was it created, and for what purpose?

The Buddha called this needless metaphysical speculation detached from the goal of the holy life. Such speculations are inessential and often lead to more questions than answers. They distract the Buddhist practitioner from the path of liberation.

Women and men are equally capable of spiritual progress and enlightenment in Buddhism. Various traditionally Buddhist cultures may have negative views of women, but there is nothing inherent in gender that makes one superior and the other inferior.

"What difference does being a woman make when the mind's well-centered, when knowledge is progressing, seeing clearly, rightly, into the Dhamma. Anyone who thinks 'I'm a woman' or 'a man' or 'Am I anything at all?' — that's who Mara's fit to address." (Soma Sutta, Samyutta Nikaya 5.2)

Best wishes.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

It's interesting to have the question phrased this way, because contemporary Paganism is more about practice and ritual than beliefs and values. That's part of what makes it meaningful to me: you do little things every day to acknowledge and honor the sacredness all around you. It's fundamentally experiential, visceral, and lively. What I believe about the gods is secondary to my experience of them. The coldness of Winter Spirit and the beauty of Snow Spirit touches me regardless of my beliefs about them.

I'm pretty terrible at formal rituals, so much of what I do is spur-of-the-moment recognition or mindfulness of the gods. For example, if a Storm Spirit rolls into town, I always acknowledge it in some way; an incense offering or a flute song if I happen to be at home. Much of what I do is couched in the context of the Great Cycle that governs us all, particularly the solar/seasonal cycle.

Use of symbolism is a major part of most Neopagan paths and to go through all of them would take quite some time. The most important icon in my path, though, is a personal emblem of mine based on the wheel cross. It's essentially a representation of the Great Cycle in its fourfold interpretation, which focuses on the Four Elements and four seasons.

LULz. There is no "official recognition" for being a contemporary Pagan. For the most part, Neopaganism is not an organized religion, and we don't have membership rosters. There are organizations you can join, from local covens to druid groves, but you don't need recognition from any of these organizations to be a Neopagan.

Currently, not much. I have participated in local Neopagan communities and groups in the past, but I haven't for quite some time (partly due to lack of options). If I feel a craving for that, I'll quit being a waned member of my local Unitarian Universalist fellowship and pop in for a service.

There are no proclaimed doctrines in Neopaganism shared by all adherents. From a personal standpoint, I have no "beliefs" about it, we have knowledge about it. We know that animal bodies decay and are broken down; such transformations release the stored matter and energy and they can then become part of something else. You could call that reincarnation; reality operates in transformations of matter and energy, not absolute creation or destruction. Any individual organism also leaves an ancestral legacy. That legacy could be an impact on the environment or ecology of an area, or it could be something like an ideology or memory.

I don't honestly care; my path focuses on the here and now. Go read a science textbook, or, if you prefer something more poetic, pop open one of the many Pagan mythologies on the matter. Such tales hold no significant meaning in my path other than for intellectual or aesthetic curiosity.

Only insofar as anatomical differences necessitate different roles or offer different assets. I'll spare you the gory details, in part because the topic is taboo enough that it probably belongs on the Eros room for our 18+ members.

underthesun

Terrible with Titles
Welcome to the forums, Austin! I hope you stick around for more than just for your class -- there's a lot to learn and a lot of fun to be had on these forums. :)

I'm Rae, and I identify as a panentheist; it's not really a religion, but it does classify my religious beliefs.

I was most attracted to panentheism because of the concept of there being an underlying, spiritual connection with the natural aspects of the world. I always felt that humans shared a spiritual connection with other organisms and the environment as a whole, among other things, and panentheism was really the only thing that connected those dots for me. I also really appreciate the way that Panentheism, for me, doesn't truly conflict with any of the other religions of the world; I can understand and respect the practices of each religion without having to alter the beliefs I have.

Because panentheists can each have a wide variety of different beliefs and there is not any one general framework, I can't offer you an easy answer. Personally, I celebrate the solstices and equinoxes, but I don't have any real rituals that go along with that; I usually just have a nice little feast and spend some time meditating or otherwise connecting with nature or the Divine.

3. What are the important symbols in your religion (if any)?
Again, this would greatly vary by person. I've known many panentheists that carried around different pendants or had altars at home dedicated to different deities. I personally view the symbol of the sun as my personal reminder of my spiritual views, but that's just me. I'm trying to find a necklace with the sun on it, but I haven't managed to locate one yet, so I have nothing with the symbol even on it.

4. What must a person do to be officially recognized as a follower of your religion?
There is no requirement for this.

5. What is the role of this religion in your social life?
There isn't a huge role that my spiritual beliefs play in my social life. I suppose it helps me to be more accepting and understanding of every individual's differences and different religions.

Again, I believe this could vary greatly from person to person. I personally don't believe in any kind of afterlife, simply that the essence of the Divine within each of us continues on and connects with the world around us, but not in any conscious form.

7. Where does the universe come from, how was it created, and for what purpose?
I don't believe in any higher 'purpose' for the universe, or for life in general. My best guess is only what scientists are talking about at the moment, but even that I'm not sure about. I don't see a point to contemplating these kinds of thoughts, though, so it doesn't bother me to not know.

Again, this would probably vary, but I do believe that most panentheists would agree with me in saying that the gender of the individual doesn't really matter at all in regards to his/her spirituality.​

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member

You can call me Ismael (not my real name). I'm an eclectic solitary animist/shamanist. (Note: I apologize, but I'm on painkillers and muscle relaxers right now due to a pinched nerve, so my responses may be affected by these other spirits that are sharing life with me right now.)

Individualism, connection to nature, tolerance, intellectual challenge, science, creativity, personal and social activism...

Observances of natural cycles and events, including lunar phases and seasonal changes, as well as personal milestones.

None

Declare and honestly believe that all the universe is/has spirit. Behave accordingly. however, since I'm a solitary practitioner, there are no other members. I do recognize that there are other animists and shamanists out there, though. Generally, there is no or only little formal structure for such belief systems, anyway.

I am married to a person with similar beliefs, and have some friends who do, too. But I also have friends and others I regularly socialize with who are members of other more traditional religions.

Everything goes on in one form or another. I accept reincarnation/transmigration/whatever you want to call it occurs, but doubt that it could be proven in a scientific sense, and probably not in the way described in other belief systems.

That's a good beer-and-pizza discussion. Evidence suggests that what we experience as the universe started about 13.8 billion years ago; how that happened and its purpose (if any) is not immediately obvious...nor do I consider it particularly important to have a specific answer for this. We're here now, and have to respond to what we experience.

Everyone has their own set of roles in life: since I'm a solitary practitioner, I can't really say that anyone else is "in" my religion. But no, there is nothing about animism/shamanism as I believe it that necessarily says a person's gender is important to roles that are not directly related to their biological gender or functioning.

Austin

Hope my responses are helpful. Good luck!

wildcat

My name is Anna, and I identify as Neopagan, Naturalistic Polytheist. Or Nature-Worshipper if you want to be simple.

I can't say my religion gives me values. I form my own values, the same way I form my own sense of (subjective) morality. The gods don't offer those directly, values and morality are for human animals to live by. What makes my religion and beliefs attractive and meaningful is that it connects me to the Earth and Universe on a deeper level, it gives me joy to recognize and revere all aspects of the Universe and life, and from observing nature and connecting to it, I've come to learn personal lessons and revelations.

Given that I'm free-flowing in my beliefs, essentially forming my own personal religion, this question is a bit irrelevant. But some practices that I do are making offerings to the nature gods as a way to show my appreciation. Walking through nature and showing my reverence at every tree and flower is another act I consider a spiritual practice.

Again, irrelevant in the fact that there is no religion telling me what symbols to use. But I do have my own symbols. A tree is a significant symbol to me given various things it represents to me personally, and the stag is another personal symbol that I use. It would take a long time to explain what the significance is, so, I'll stop. :p

Nothing. If you revere and worship nature, or view the gods as natural gods that are nature, as the forces and drives behind nature, you could claim the title if you wish. Most Neopagan paths don't require any sort of "official" recognition as far as I'm aware. With a path like mine, there definitely wouldn't be. My title is simply a description of what I believe, not a formed religion.

It doesn't have any role in my social life. I don't know any other pagans in my real life, although I am apart of a pagan forum for discussion. I don't need to get in touch with other pagans to practice and enjoy my religion.

I personally do not believe that the consciousness survives death. I have simply seen no evidence to believe such, and logically, I don't see why it should. I believe that we each have our own turn at a conscious experience in the Universe, we should appreciate it, and then, we will die and our energy will transform and live on. It's my wish to be buried in a coffin that can degrade quickly, so that my body's energy can go back into the Earth and feed into new life as soon as possible, to continue the cycle of energy in the Universe. That's a very calming and lovely belief for me.

I don't know where the Universe came from, I don't see how any religion can make that claim. It doesn't affect my nature-worship. I can see and feel what the Universe has created, and I worship and appreciate it. How was it created? The Big Bang Theory is the best available explanation on that topic, and anything science can propose, I'll incorporate into my knowledge. Origins don't affect my religion, only add to the mystery of the Universe. The purpose? I don't know, and will never claim to know, maybe there is no intended purpose, maybe the purpose is simply existence itself, and that's okay. All I know is that I can form my own purpose and meaning for my life, and that's the only thing that matters.

Nope. No reason for there to be a difference. :)

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Why anti-Christian?

How is needing non-Christian responses as required by an assignment anti-Christian, exactly?

More likely than not, it's a deliberate move to encourage students to explore the diversity of religious belief given a strong majority of people in the United States are Christian. Smart move, if the professor actually wants the students to learn about the world's religions instead of the one most common in their country of residence!

ajgrewell

Our community is mainly Christian. Our instructor wanted us to explore a religion that is outside our comfort zone that we don't see everyday.

idea

Question Everything
How is needing non-Christian responses as required by an assignment anti-Christian, exactly?

Singling out, and refusing to include a specific group of people - it doesn't matter who that group of people is - is wrong. In an art class, if the assignment was "choose an artist to write a report on - except European artists, you can do a paper on anyone except Europeans.... or write a report on a musician - except Jazz, anything counts except Jazz.

Exclusionary assignments are prejudiced, if I were in the class, I would protest. A more appropriate assignment would be - "Choose a religious group that you currently do not know anything about, and research them." To assume that everyone in the class is either Christian, or is familiar with Christianity, is wrong.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Singling out, and refusing to include a specific group of people - it doesn't matter who that group of people is - is wrong. In an art class, if the assignment was "choose an artist to write a report on - except European artists, you can do a paper on anyone except Europeans.... or write a report on a musician - except Jazz, anything counts except Jazz.

Exclusionary assignments are prejudiced, if I were in the class, I would protest. A more appropriate assignment would be - "Choose a religious group that you currently do not know anything about, and research them." To assume that everyone in the class is either Christian, or is familiar with Christianity, is wrong.

Austin said the assignment was to explore a religion outside their comfort zoneand that , the class is mostly Christian.
He also asked for non-Christian responses.

This all makes sense if the assignment simply was "Choose a religious group you currently don't know anything about and research them" with Austin deciding that excluded Christians IN HIS CASE.

You're making an assumption that the professor excluded Christians.

Anyways, back to OP.
I'm assuming you only want religious responses, so I'll hold off, but if you want an atheist response, let me know.

Good luck with it, and welcome to RF.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Our community is mainly Christian. Our instructor wanted us to explore a religion that is outside our comfort zone that we don't see everyday.

I think this is a common assignment. Several times I've hosted groups of students at our Hindu temple. Their assignment was to visit a house of worship different than your own. We get people from the major university in town, the Baptist Seminary college, and from a formerly Christian now university extension college.

Good on these professors for showing diversity.

Kalidas

Well I guess I will try and give the Hindu perspective. I'm sure Vinayaka will do so soon too.
As an FYI I was once a Christian so my answers may not be "traditional" Hindu. Besides depending on the sect you may get different answer so here is the perspective of a Shakta(goddess worshiper) Hindu perspective.
1. What beliefs and values in your religion make it attractive and meaningful to you? The openness of the religion. It is said in the Rig Veda that "Truth is one sages call it by many names".

2. What are some key practices, rituals and festivals in your religion? key practice would be living daily in a matter that helps to promote the strength and life of dharma. Rituals are generally conducted every day in the form of "Pujas" which includes prayers, chants, other rituals, meditation,writing,reading or none of those or some of those or all of those. To me the two BIG festivals are Devi Navratri(the nine night of the Devi) and Diwali.

3.What are the important symbols in your religion (if any)? The Aum, Swastika, and the yantra associated with Kali Maa

4.What must a person do to be officially recognized as a follower of your religion? This answer will very GREATLY depending on who you talk to. Some such as myself would say it's all about HOW you live and not what you say. Are you living like a Hindu? If not I would say you are not no matter how hard you try to say you are. Some people may say you NEED to go through all the Samskaras(rites of passage) or maybe just half of them. I actually would like to begin the process of going through some of them.

5.What is the role of this religion in your social life? I am friends with MANY different kinds of people. HELL my wife is not a Hindu but actually a Pagan. Don't worry though Hindus and Pagans get along with each other VERY well.

6. What does your religion believe happens to a person after death in this world? That depends. Generally reincarnation. Yet some people in their lifetime WILL reach moksha(liberation) from the cycle of Karma and the cycle of birth and death will end. This is a goal promised to all people no body will be forgotten. Thing of it like this as I breathe in and out so does God. Breathe out: creation/breath in: disillusion

7.Where does the universe come from, how was it created, and for what purpose? The Universe is but what small part (but still a part) of God herself. Maybe not God exactly but she is in all things and all things are in her. Why? I don't know and don't really think there to be a why.

8. Do women have a different role than men in this religion? I think TRADITIONALLY they do and did but this is changing and that makes me happy. To me women are on equal footing with men, there are even women priest, swamis, and gurus. I mean heck I worship God in the form of a Woman.

idea

Question Everything
Austin said the assignment was to .
... our instructor has assigned us a project to interview a person of non-Christian faith about their religion. ...

It was specifically "non-Christian", and, sadly, the exclusion and persecution of Christians is a common thing.

...Their assignment was to visit a house of worship different than your own. ....
"Different than your own" is a perfectly fine assignment - I was in a class that did that too.

Last edited:

Kalidas

It was specifically "non-Christian", and, sadly, the exclusion and persecution of Christians is a common thing.

"Different than your own" is a perfectly fine assignment - I was in a class that did that too.

I hear this complaint a lot. "America persecutes christians"

Religion in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Who exactly are the people perecuting Christians? Other Christians?

He never stated the progessor excluded Chriatians from the entire assignment. Even IF the professor DID they DO make up 76% of America and the class is about WORLD religions so learning about other religions other than the most popular one in America will go a long way to increasing knowledge that is not exactly common knowledge in America.

Last edited: