• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious/Spiritual Holidays/Feats/Fasts for August:

Comet

Harvey Wallbanger
Anybody know of any? I'd like to find one in August to uphold... I've decided to fast for the holiday I uphold, another, and another, but I thought I'd pick one in August to do a fourth... FAST once every 4 months...

I have March 16th, June 29th, and December 26th... August just fit.... any ideas would be helpful and hopefully point me in the right direction.

Draka

Wonder Woman
August 1st is Lughnasadh. A Celtic Pagan holiday celebrating the sun god Lugh and also considered one of the three main harvest festivals. It being a harvest, and therefore a feast, festival though, it might not be exactly suited to a fasting day. :p But hey, thought I'd throw it out there. Though I'm sure you could maybe adjust it by fasting on the 1st and then feasting on the second as to somehow make the feast and harvest that much more appreciated. If you want anymore information about it feel free to ask. I can always post something from my EBOS.

Jordan St. Francis

Funny you would ask...as it is only one of my most favourite holy days and the name sake of my childhood parish (Saint Mary of the Assumption). This day is quite venerable in its antiquity, observed by both Catholic and Orthodox alike:

August 15th is the Feast of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary. It is the day the Church commemorates the consummation of her life of obedience to Christ.

CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Assumption of Mary

Nisou Kitsune

Resident Anime Freak
Lammas, also called Lughnasadh, falls at the beginning of the harvest season. Apples are ready and grain is beginning to ripen. It's also a day for honoring Lugh, the Celtic craftsman god. I have a ridiculously large feast on this day, which would be the equivalent to Thanksgiving.

Maybe you should feast instead of fast, but thats just my biased opinion ;) Lol

BruceDLimber

Baha'is have no holy days in August--just two of our regular Nineteen-day Feasts on the 1st and 20th of the month (which we celebrate internally, and which in fact often take place the evening before as that's part of the same day <just as in all the other Abrahamic religions>).

Peace, :)

Bruce

As a follow-up on Bruce here, the month of Perfection (Kamal) begins on August 1, and the month of Names (Asma') on August 20. Of course, the Baha'i day begins at sunset the day before...

In the Baha'i Faith, Baha'u'llah has prescribed that on every first day of each Baha'i month (19 days), we must offer a (spiritual) Feast [just as the Jewish Sabbath, the Christian Sunday, and the Islamic Friday], which consists of the recitation of prayers and the Scriptures in a reverent, prayerful and meditative manner. Nine is always a nice number to utilise, so as a Christian, you could recite, chant or sing nine passages from the Bible, and also have friends participate!

:namaste

Flankerl

Well in august there are two special days.

9th august Tisha B Av which remembers the destruction of the temples by the hands of the babylonians and romans. So this day is obviously a day to fast.

And on the 15th its Tu B Av which is somewhat like valentinesday. But not like valentinesday.

Though i dont see a reason for you to follow any customs of us. But you are free to do anything you like. Obviously.