• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious rules/guidelines

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Yes of course i can rephrase it :)

Is it when someone tries to impose a belief onto others that the heated debate arise?

Well, let me try to explain. If you look at human cultural history there is a trend. It is not the only one, but the one we are fighting most over.
Who decides what a good life is and what makes a good human a good human? In general that is morality and there are two ways to go about that in a reductive way. There is an objective source for that or it is to hold the other human as a human even if different than you.
There is more off course, but that is the fight in short.

Messianic Israelite

Just understand that if you try to impose "His Law" on me, I'm going to demand a say in your religion.

Hi 9-10ths_Penguin. Good evening. The Word of Yahweh doesn't work like that. We either obey it, and receive blessings or we disobey it and receive a curse. In our faith we aren't forcing anyone to keep the Biblical Laws. We're all here voluntarily because we want to keep the commandments and prove our love to Yahweh. I have never said I want a say in how things are done in my faith just because I keep the Laws. We are all working to please Yahweh through the keeping of His Laws.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
Interesting discussion so far.

To return to the OP, it's far from simple, as many religious rules are also rules that would probably exist without religion, for example the rule forbidding murder. Some religious rules are pretty much totally religious, like Muslim dress codes. In between we have rules that are applied generally, but have been given a religious slant.

It's fairly simple to say that purely religious rules should stay withing the religion.The problem arises when they try to enforce their own versions of these "mixed" rules on everyone, because there is often some correspondence to non-religious life. In short, we can see what they are getting at, up to a point.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
Hi 9-10ths_Penguin. Good evening. The Word of Yahweh doesn't work like that. We either obey it, and receive blessings or we disobey it and receive a curse. In our faith we aren't forcing anyone to keep the Biblical Laws. We're all here voluntarily because we want to keep the commandments and prove our love to Yahweh. I have never said I want a say in how things are done in my faith just because I keep the Laws. We are all working to please Yahweh through the keeping of His Laws.

But how do you know that your version of "The Word of Yahweh" is the correct one? There are so many versions.

I ask because you don't say "we believe" anywhere. You just make statements that you present as absolute truth.

Truth in love

You're using two different meanings of "law" as if they were the same.

The "law" of gravity is a description of how the physical world works. The "law" against murder is a human created rule that has to be enforced.

Actually the physical and the more spiritual laws are laws.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
But how do you know that your version of "The Word of Yahweh" is the correct one? There are so many versions.

I ask because you don't say "we believe" anywhere. You just make statements that you present as absolute truth.

Yes, I noticed that too. It lacks the required "I believe/feel/think" as indicated in the rule against preaching and proselytizing.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The rules or guidelines in any religion or spiritual teaching only apply to those who follow the religion they believe in.

The rules don't account for those who are not believers of the religious teaching.

Any thoughts?
Humans have evolved to live as gregarious primates, getting great advantages from being able to act cooperatively. Along with that they've evolved moral tendencies appropriate to that status ─ child nurture and protection, dislike of the one who harms, like of fairness and reciprocity, respect for authority, loyalty to the group and a sense of self-worth through self-denial. We've also evolved a conscience and a capacity for empathy. But life being complex, these tendencies compete with need, appetite, desire, custom, obligation, compulsion and so on.

But no surprise that various expressions of (for example) the Golden Rule existed in antiquity long before the bible God did.

Audie

Veteran Member
Humans have evolved to live as gregarious primates, getting great advantages from being able to act cooperatively. Along with that they've evolved moral tendencies appropriate to that status ─ child nurture and protection, dislike of the one who harms, like of fairness and reciprocity, respect for authority, loyalty to the group and a sense of self-worth through self-denial. We've also evolved a conscience and a capacity for empathy. But life being complex, these tendencies compete with need, appetite, desire, custom, obligation, compulsion and so on.

But no surprise that various expressions of (for example) the Golden Rule existed in antiquity long before the bible God did.
Christians claiming the golden rule is absurd.
And profoundly ignorant.