• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious Questionnaire - Please help

timelight

I have already posted this in the introduction area, although I was told that I had to post it here instead.
Anyway, I was hoping some of you could help. I am doing a project at college, and the title is "Does religion help or hinder youngsters?"
I was wondering if you would be able to fill this in for me, either on here or just pm it to me.
Thanks alot.

How would you identify your religion?

Has your family practiced this religion for many generations, or are you the first member of your family to practice this religion?

If you are the first member of your family to practice this religion, briefly describe how you came to be associated with this religion.

What does your religion teach about the central figure of Christianity--Jesus Christ?

What does your religion teach about the fundamental problems (if any) of the human race? Is there anything fundamentally flawed about the human race and how did this come to be?

What does your religion teach about the remedy for the fundamental problems (if any) of the human race? (i.e., try harder to be morally good, accumulate good karma, etc.)

What does your religion teach about how to be properly related to God or Ultimate Reality? (If God is personal, what does it take to please God or be rewarded by God? If God is impersonal, what does it take to return to the state of union with the Ultimate Reality, etc?)

What does your religion teach about life after death?

Do you believe that if you live your life as if God would've wanted, you will go to Heaven?

What are your thoughts on the following issues

Abortion
Animal rights
Capital Punishment
Contraception
Euthanasia
Same sex marriage
War
Sex before marriage
Masturbation

Do you live your life by certain rules?

How many sexual partners have you had?

Do you drink? If so how much and how often?

Have you or do you take illegal drugs? If so, which?

Have you been in trouble with the police?

Do you find yourself not being able to do certain things because of your religion?
If so, please state.

Do you look to God for answers, or do you make your own decisions?

Do you think some religions are encouraging youngsters to do things they normally wouldn't do?

Does your religion make you happy?

How does your religion make you feel?

Has it helped you in any way? Please explain.

Have you commited any of the ten commandments? If so what, and how did that make you feel?

Have you ever doesn anything that you feel God wouldn't approve of?

Do you think religion helps or hinders youngsters? Please explain why you think this.

Thank you. :)

herushura

Sexuality: Straight

Sumeriian
Has your family practiced this religion for many generations, or are you the first member of your family to practice this religion?
Only me
If you are the first member of your family to practice this religion, briefly describe how you came to be associated with this religion.
Yes, I love Ancient Religions
What does your religion teach about the central figure of Christianity--Jesus Christ?
Jesus is not part of the Annunaki
What does your religion teach about the fundamental problems (if any) of the human race? Is there anything fundamentally flawed about the human race and how did this come to be?
Man create Wars
What does your religion teach about the remedy for the fundamental problems (if any) of the human race? (i.e., try harder to be morally good, accumulate good karma, etc.)
Peace

What does your religion teach about how to be properly related to God or Ultimate Reality? (If God is personal, what does it take to please God or be rewarded by God? If God is impersonal, what does it take to return to the state of union with the Ultimate Reality, etc?)
Sumerian dont worship gods
You are part of the Annunaki
Do you believe that if you live your life as if God would've wanted, you will go to Heaven?
No

Abortion - Murder
Animal rights - Animals have feelings too
Capital Punishment - Dont Approve
Contraception - Whatever i aint women
Euthanasia - bananas
Same sex marriage - do what you want with your life
War - Evil
Sex before marriage - Decline, Sex when ever you want
Masturbation - Who cares everyone does it

No
only on weekends
Cocaine/Speed
Yes
Do you find yourself not being able to do certain things because of your religion?
If so, please state.
No
my own decisions
Do you think some religions are encouraging youngsters to do things they normally wouldn't do?
Yes, like cultest people who kill themselves
Yes
Original
Yes, it taught me the true origins of god
Have you commited any of the ten commandments? If so what, and how did that make you feel?
I dont follow the copycat book of dead rules

No, i am my own boss

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
Sexuality: hetrosexual

- anti-organised religion/satanism/atheism

-Family is dedicated christian

- basically a lack of religion, fed up with dogma and constantly being told what i should be doing

- He was simply a carpenter with a voice, nothing more

- we're too busy arguing instead of acting, this is because we always have to listen to what the church has to say

- be yourself, not what someone wants you to be, treat others the way you wish to be reated

- I believe we are our own Gods, pleasing god means having self respect, and confidence, one should not rely on others, we must be individuals

- Live life now, think about death when you're at the gates of hell, no point living half a life in case there is a paradise on the other side.

- heaven is a reward for the sheep who do as they're told by the tyrants who wear collars.

Abortion - we have different morality, it should be up to the individual tpo make the decision, not human rights activists or the government.

Animal rights - People who hurt animals deserve to be tortured until they can no longer feel pain, i am very passionate about this, i've seen some sick movies of the Chinese and i would give everything i owned away just to watch these people suffer.

Capital Punishment - an eye for an eye

Contraception - Condoms prevent STD's, im sure god doesnt want us all to die of aids.

Euthanasia - if we have a right to live our lives we have a right to end them

Same sex marriage - marriage is a human right, if same sex couples want to marry who are we to stop them?

War - if you want peace, prepare for war

Sex before marriage - do as you please, if you don't like it, don't do it, but don't tell others what they can/cannot do.

Masturbation
- of no one will play with you play with yourself ;)

- yes, but i make the rules

How many sexual partners have you had? - 5

- once a week, in fact, im having a vodka right now :)

- drugs are designed to f**k up your body, people who do drugs deserve AIDS

- No

If so, please state.
- religion is restricting, i do not follow the Good book.

- We all make our own decisions, God is not there to answer our questions, he has a FAQ :p

- not religions on the whole, just some sectors of religions, usually bad things.

- if i wasn't happy i'd convert to Buddhism

- empowered

- i've become more reliant on myself over others, im more independent, i believe its a good thing

- pretty much all of those that do not carry prison sentences, we're human, we all have vices, anyone who tries not to is fooling themselves

- depends who's God, i think i've pi**ed them all off though :)

Do you think religion helps or hinders youngsters? Please explain why you think this.
- Hinders, they often cannot make their own decisions in life, thats very sad. Religion segregates society into separate congregations, separation is never a good thing.

I hope its helpful, if you need more PM me and i'll answer any questions you have

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

Sexuality:
Hetero male

None/atheist/humanist

My father was apparently an atheist, but I only found this out after he died.

I grew up rather non-religious, though my mother would take me to church (Christian Protestant, mainly Baptist or United) occasionally. When my grandmother was on her deathbed, she asked me to seriously consider raising my future children in some sort of church. I agreed. Since I felt that I wouldn't be able to raise a child in a faith I didn't believe in myself, I felt that this meant I had to explore my own beliefs. After some time, I realized that I was not only unreligious; I was a full-out atheist.

Nothing, though the central ideas of atheism would imply that Jesus, if He existed, was not God.

It teaches nothing about this. Personally, I disagree with the idea of a human archetype that's inherent in the claim that humanity is "flawed". I think it's a meaningless statement, so asking how it would come to be is a moot question.

Atheism by itself doesn't teach anything about this. Humanism teaches that it's good to value other people and to act on those values.

Nothing.

Nothing.

No, I don't.

Abortion - I support the idea of reasonable access to abortion. I'd be okay with restrictions on late-term abortions if I didn't think they'd be the "thin edge of the wedge" for pro-life groups to get abortion prohibited generally.

Animal rights - I don't think that we should be needlessly cruel to animals, but I also think that humanity needs animals to meet its needs.

Capital Punishment - immoral in all cases, IMO.

Contraception - Go for it.

Euthanasia - Generally in favour, though I think it needs safeguards to prevent its use by people who may be immediately suicidal but can work through their problems through other means. I see no need to prolong the suffering of people with terminal diseases.

Same sex marriage - I'm glad it's finally legal in Canada. I look forward to the day when it's legal worldwide.

War - There are two Japanese sayings that capture my feelings on war: "the sword that kills is the sword that gives life" and "divine tactics do not kill." War is sometimes unavoidable, but we should strive for better.

Sex before marriage - too late for me (I'm married), but if you want to do it, go ahead.

Masturbation - not in public. :)

Sure. I think it would be impossible not to.

I prefer not to answer.

Yes - about a drink or so a week these days.

I prefer not to answer.

No.

If so, please state.

Not really. Nothing I would otherwise want to do, anyhow.

I don't look to any god for answers, so I guess that puts me in the second category.

However, I think that everyone's in the second category, even if they think they're in the first.

Yes.

No. I get my happiness from other things.

All right. Better than if I were living a lie.

I think recognizing that there's no special cosmic force overseeing the universe has reinforced the idea of personal responsibility: if I want the world to be a better place, it's up to me to make it better. If I leave it up to the Second Coming or the Great White Handkerchief to wipe the evil off the planet, then it won't be wiped away at all. It's up to me to make the world as I think it should be.

Which Ten Commandments? Exodus 20 or Exodus 34? I've broken some of the commandments of both. I don't care at all about the religious obligations I've broken (e.g. not keeping the Sabbath, not keeping the Feast of Weeks); when I violate the ones that deal with real life, it bothers me more.

I've had enough of a Christian upbringing that it bothers me when I realize that I'm coveting. I'm not sure what that means.

I don't think God exists at all, so I'm not particularily concerned with what He would or wouldn't approve of. I do recognize that the Christian God, if He were to exist, may very well have some issues with my behaviour.

I think it helps some and hinders others. It can be a useful way to instill moral values and a sense of higher purpose in a child, but "wrong" religions can also become limiting to their moral and intellectual growth.

gnomon

Sexuality: Heterosexual

How would you identify your religion? None

I am the first atheist I know of in my family.

I never truly accepted the religious tenets of my family or any other and found that I deem the tenets of all religions relatively unnecessary to the functions of life.

There are not tenets to atheism.

There are no fundamental problems with the human species.

n/a

n/a

n/a

n/a

Abortion - a personal choice left to women best left unlegislated
Animal rights - rights are a human construct. Animal rights only exist as limitations upon human actions towards animals
Capital Punishment - a last resort best left alone within an imperfect justice system
Contraception - human invention to reasonably control reproduction
Euthanasia - only acceptable when practiced as a means to allowing rational individuals to use as a last resort to willingly end their life when constitutionally incapable of doing so themselves in the face of unrelenting pain and suffering.
Same sex marriage - an act that already occurs in nature which should be recognized by the government
War - a horrible means towards political resolution
Sex before marriage - a natural function to fulfill human needs which should be exercised reasonably
Masturbation
- thank goodness

I try to live life by reason

Infrequently (2 or 3 occasions per year) and very little

I have. Pot, coke, crank, crack, acid. No longer use any.

I have served time in jail.

If so, please state.
n/a

I make all my own decisions.

Only within the framework of established social norms based upon traditions which are not necessarily religious but have been coopted by religious leaders.

I'm happy not adhering to a religion.

n/a

Peace of mind.

Stolen. Felt bad. Irrelevant to religion.

n/a

Considering that religion dominates society across the globe I can only rationally state that religion helps children acclimate to social norms in most societies. This begs the question as to whether or not religion is the best or even necessary for a stable and viable society. I believe that it is not.

No problem.

So now maybe some theists of a traditional sort will answer.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Sexuality: Male heterosexual

How would you identify your religion? None

Has your family practiced this religion for many generations, or are you the first member of your family to practice this religion? The rest of my family is Christian.

If you are the first member of your family to practice this religion, briefly describe how you came to be associated with this religion. I started doubting Christianity, and came to realize that I didn't believe in it.

What does your religion teach about the central figure of Christianity--Jesus Christ? I think he was a great man, if what we know of him is true. I think he had a lot of good stuff to teach, but was no more than a man.

What does your religion teach about the fundamental problems (if any) of the human race? Is there anything fundamentally flawed about the human race and how did this come to be? I would say that we have some tendencies that are detrimental to the general happiness of the population, and to the continued existence of the world, like greed and selfishness. I think it's part of human nature, though. As far as "sinning" goes, only things that harm others are "bad", in my opinion.

What does your religion teach about the remedy for the fundamental problems (if any) of the human race? (i.e., try harder to be morally good, accumulate good karma, etc.) I think we should just learn more. I think the more you learn, the more you'll want to learn, and the more open you'll be to things different from you.

What does your religion teach about how to be properly related to God or Ultimate Reality? (If God is personal, what does it take to please God or be rewarded by God? If God is impersonal, what does it take to return to the state of union with the Ultimate Reality, etc?) Not applicable.

What does your religion teach about life after death? No such thing. (except in the minds of others)

Do you believe that if you live your life as if God would've wanted, you will go to Heaven? Not applicable.

Abortion acceptable in some cases.
Animal rights acceptable to be eaten, but should at least be treated with respect until then.
Capital Punishment Generally for it, but not strongly.
Contraception No problem with it. Use it all the time.
Euthanasia Can be a good thing, as long as it's used carefully.
Same sex marriage I'm all for it.
War It sucks, but is sometimes necessary.
Sex before marriage All for it.
Masturbation No problem with it (aside from residual guilt from being a Catholic)

Do you live your life by certain rules? Just one (and I think you've heard it): Do unto others as you'd have done to you.

How many sexual partners have you had? One true partner. 3 others with whom I didn't go all the way.

Do you drink? If so how much and how often? Yes, generally when out with friends. Not very often, actually.

Have you or do you take illegal drugs? If so, which? I tried weed a few times just to see what it was like. Didn't really like it, though.

Have you been in trouble with the police? Yes.

If so, please state. Nope.

Do you look to God for answers, or do you make your own decisions? Make my own decisions (obviously).

Do you think some religions are encouraging youngsters to do things they normally wouldn't do? Yes.

Does your religion make you happy? My lack of religion helps me be happier, I'd say.

How does your religion make you feel? Not applicable.

Has it helped you in any way? Please explain. N/A

Have you commited any of the ten commandments? If so what, and how did that make you feel? Yes, several.

Have you ever doesn anything that you feel God wouldn't approve of? Yup. I used to care, but not anymore.

For the last question:

I think it can do both. It all depends on how it's handled. If it's shoved down a child's throat and they are brainwashed with it, it can have very bad effects (but even then, not always). If they are brought up that way, but exploration is not discouraged (as in my case), it can be very beneficial.

Either way, I think religion in general can have a detrimental effect on young people and people in general, but it can also have a beneficial effect, too.

I think if it's taught as something to learn about but can be questioned, it's great to learn. If it's taught as law, and should never be questioned, just accepted, it creates the wrong mindset.