• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious People Only: Holding Back?

JustGeorge

Out of Order
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm directing this thread at the religious people of the forum. You decide what religiousness means to you, and whether or not you oughta participate in this (non debate) thread.

How often do you find yourself having to 'hold back' your religious experiences, thoughts, or interests? Or, is this not a concern for you?

If you do find you have to(or choose to), why is that?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I'm directing this thread at the religious people of the forum. You decide what religiousness means to you, and whether or not you oughta participate in this (non debate) thread.

How often do you find yourself having to 'hold back' your religious experiences, thoughts, or interests? Or, is this not a concern for you?

I'm not sure what you mean by hold back.

Are you talking about proselytizing or something?

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't feel the need to hold back unless I know it will be a pointless discussion. I've learned who will and won't listen.

The problem is that the folks who won't listen are the folks who most need to.

Secret Chief

Degrow!
Never crops up in the real world. I wouldn't "hold back", but then I have no urge to hold forth.

ok...once recently....I mentioned my prediliction to the religion teacher simply in the context of me asking her a question. All it resulted in was her asking me to pronounce "Siddhartha Gautama" for the benefit of the class. :blush:

Mind you.... now she knows I'm a Buddhist I can imagine when it comes to a lesson specifically on Buddhism she'll hand the reins over to me while she goes off for a crafty coffee and biscuit.

JustGeorge

Out of Order
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not sure what you mean by hold back.

Are you talking about proselytizing or something?
It could be proselytizing, if that's something your religion insists you should do, but doesn't have to for those of us who place no value on proselytizing.

What I mostly mean, is just holding back general religious speech, thoughts, or experiences.

There are a lot of experiences I hold back because folks would think I'm nuts. But it can be simple, too... I've met people who feel they can't say "God bless" without getting their heads bit off. It could be for practical reasons; my husband feared for his physical safety talking about non-Christian religions in the US's southern regions.
I don't feel the need to hold back unless I know it will be a pointless discussion. I've learned who will and won't listen.

The problem is that the folks who won't listen are the folks who most need to.
Who do you feel would benefit(generally speaking), and why do you feel they oughta?

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
Who do you feel would benefit(generally speaking), and why do you feel they oughta?
Since many of them are the Rationalist™ types who won't open their minds to accept others' experiences. People who have a very literalist, lack of nuance approach to religion, which, if you try to define religion or religious expriences any other way they'll tell you that's not what your ancestors did. Such as the 'everyone before the 20th century was a 6 day literalist creationist' nonsense that they insist on that even hard evidence from Church Fathers won't help them with.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Whether it be debate or non -debate, I see that often people are interested in posting what they think as @Rival noted but not having a discussion for the purpose of broadening their perspectives. I do participate much more when I sense people more open minded. But there are a few experiences that I won't talk about but very few.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
It could be proselytizing, if that's something your religion insists you should do, but doesn't have to for those of us who place no value on proselytizing.

What I mostly mean, is just holding back general religious speech, thoughts, or experiences.

There are a lot of experiences I hold back because folks would think I'm nuts. But it can be simple, too... I've met people who feel they can't say "God bless" without getting their heads bit off. It could be for practical reasons; my husband feared for his physical safety talking about non-Christian religions in the US's southern regions.
My personal take is that religion is always going to be a personal thing and what your beliefs are and outlook may not necessarily reflect another's.

This gives me enough valid reason to think it's always going to be a personal thing.

People "holding back" I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing and one can always find fraternity among peers who share the same values.

I feel if there is a need to spread the word, then there is something wrong with the religion you're involved with because it indicates that it cannot stand on its own two feet and attract people on its own merits.

JustGeorge

Out of Order
Staff member
Premium Member
Since many of them are the Rationalist™ types who won't open their minds to accept others' experiences. People who have a very literalist, lack of nuance approach to religion, which, if you try to define religion or religious expriences any other way they'll tell you that's not what your ancestors did. Such as the 'everyone before the 20th century was a 6 day literalist creationist' nonsense that they insist on that even hard evidence from Church Fathers won't help them with.
It could seem frustrating to try to communicate in those circles, indeed, if your belief varied from theirs.
Whether it be debate or non -debate, I see that often people are interested in posting what they think as @Rival noted but not having a discussion for the purpose of broadening their perspectives. I do participate much more when I sense people more open minded. But there are a few experiences that I won't talk about but very few.
Same.
My personal take is that religion is always going to be a personal thing and what your beliefs are and outlook may not necessarily reflect another's.

This gives me enough valid reason to think it's always going to be a personal thing.

People "holding back" I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing and one can always find fraternity among peers who share the same values.

I feel if there is a need to spread the word, then there is something wrong with the religion you're involved with because it indicates that it cannot stand on its own two feet and attract people on its own merits.
I agree with your feelings around "spreading the word" here.

I sometimes struggle with the need to 'hold back', as religion is my main interest. I read religious books, watch religious shows, investigate how food affects the us through different magical systems(Ayurveda and Western lore both have interesting takes on it), my house is covered in religious art. Take that off the table, there's little for me to talk about.

Though, I have an exception with music. I need me metal/hard rock.

Are you sure you're holding back enough? :kissingheart:
Well, if I open my mouth, its inevitable...

No. Honestly, you can tell just by looking at me.

Can you imagine how nuts I'd be perceived as if I didn't hold back any?

6bd45eecc0c4441bbce1f54bc530b3cd.jpeg

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member

I never find myself having to hold back.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
When I first joined RF I thought it would be a place to share religious convictions and maybe hear about religions other than Christianity. I overlooked the evidence/lack of evidence thing, but that seems like a hard thing to ignore on here.

I rarely ever get a chance to explore my own convictions on religion, and cosmic purpose. I don't mind stating some of the convictions I have, but I used to make the mistake of conversing in a debate forum simply because the topic was interesting.

In real life I never get a chance to express or talk about religion in any significant way. I'm overrun by Christians in my actual life. On RF I think maybe the non religious are running the show here.

mangalavara

हर हर महादेव
Premium Member
How often do you find yourself having to 'hold back' your religious experiences, thoughts, or interests?

Holding back is what I often have to do.

Holding back is what I have to do because the English speakers who I know are either Christian or non-religious. Also, Hindu religion and spirituality is not really something they are interested in. I mention holidays sometimes, and that’s about it. People notice that I am calm and collected and cheerful, and they are unaware that it has to do with my spirituality.

I sometimes struggle with the need to 'hold back', as religion is my main interest.

Same here.