• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious Misconceptions

Arnack

We are our Own Creation
Hello,
I am building a website on common religious misconceptions and how they are wrong.
I would like for people of all faiths (or no faith at all) to come to this thread and explain to me a common misconception or myth about their religion, and why it is completely wrong!
Thanks,
Arnack

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Hmmmmm, let me think. OK, I have one but actually it's about Catholics and I'm not Catholic but I know this gets slung at them alot.

People think that it's against church DOCTRINE for a priest to marry. That's not true. It currently is against Church DISCIPLINE for priests to marry. Actually, there are married Roman Catholic priests currently serving Roman Catholic parishes.

The prohibition against priests marrying hasn't always been in place and may be revoked again in the future. Meanwhile, if a married Orthodox priest converts to Catholicism, he may be an RC priest in the fullest sense of the word, and remain married.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Arnack,
Congrats for the good work you are planning.
One point find misconception about Sanatan Dharma is that it is perceived as idol worshipers in reality idols are just representative of energy which is there in every thing.
Idols themselves are not the goal but represent the whole cosmos.
Love & rgds

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Misconceptions about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (aka "the Mormons"):

1. Mormons don't believe in Jesus Christ.
2. Mormons don't believe the Bible to be God's word.
3. Mormons believe that God and Mary had sexual intercourse in order for her to conceive Jesus Christ.
4. Mormons believe that they will all utlimately becomes gods and rule over everybody else.

For starters.

Last edited:

Arnack

We are our Own Creation
Thank you, I will add some to the website.
Does anyone have anymore? A common misconception about their religion is a fine response.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Misconception: Followers of DWBHism tend to act foolish, ignorant, and childish.

Truth: We're not acting.

Arnack

We are our Own Creation
Thanks for the ideas.
What I'm trying to do is put together a list of common myths and misconceptions about a certain religion in general.
So try to stay away from the more in depth side of the Religion (God accepts everybody, atheists don't eat babies, etc)
If you have any more, go ahead and post.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Thanks for the ideas.
What I'm trying to do is put together a list of common myths and misconceptions about a certain religion in general.
So try to stay away from the more in depth side of the Religion (God accepts everybody, atheists don't eat babies, etc)
If you have any more, go ahead and post.

You did ask specifically for people to post common misconceptions about their own religion.

I know a bunch about the religion I was raised in, but I don't consider it mine anymore. :p

Arnack

We are our Own Creation
Okay, I need some more myths or misconceptions about Christianity. Anyone have some?

life.is.ravishing

Loving life...
Latter Day Saints/Mormons are forbidden to drink caffine. Not true. It's suggested in the Word of Wisdom, and followed by many Mormons, but it is not a "rule."

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
All Christians are not ignorant and bigoted degenerates. (Several posters here need to learn that)
Christianity (or religion in general) is not Child abuse.
Religion is not inherently dangerous.

rockondon

A friend of mine learned from church (7th day adventist) that Hindus believe that they "were so high on themselves" that they believe that they have God in them, suggesting that they think they are god.

I had the joy of telling her that they believe the essence of Brahman is in every living thing, plants, insects, people, so on a spiritual level they are extremely humble, far more humble than Christians who can't stomach the idea of being no more special or no more spiritual than 'lower' animals.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about that. :beach:

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Hello,
I am building a website on common religious misconceptions and how they are wrong.
I would like for people of all faiths (or no faith at all) to come to this thread and explain to me a common misconception or myth about their religion, and why it is completely wrong!
Thanks,
Arnack
What is the URL of your site?

Spiritone

"All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think we become."
The Buddha

I am amazed and glad he said that. I studied Tibetan Buddhism and read many books on Buddhism but don't remember reading that. I'm amazed because I recently came to realize that very same thing. I also think that it applies to collective thought over the long haul.
If everyone knew and believed that what a different world this would be.

I don't consider myself to be Buddhist now or any other established belief or philosophy either, but I do have my constantly growing and changing beliefs.

Best Wishes in your new endeavor.

Last edited:

Venice

I don't have anything to share. But I'm looking forward to your website. Share the link once it's finish. Thanks.

Andal

resident hypnotist
enjoying this thread hope it continues. can you post a url to your site. it would be fun to see it :)

some misconceptions about Hinduism.

1 We worship dead idols
2 We worship cows
3 All Hindus strive for oneness with Brahman
4 We are all polytheists
5 You can't convert into Hinduism you have to be born.

Truths
1 We worship murtis which are the physical presence of God
2 We respect cows because they constantly give to us (milk, dung for fuel, skin for drums, etc)
3 Some Hindus believe Brahman is the ultimate reality but others are look for eternal happiness with his or her God or Goddess
4 Only the Smartas could be listed as polytheist. We are monotheist, monist, pantheist, atheist, everykindatheist.
5 This misconception comes from the notion that you have to born into a caste to be hindu. this isn't true either