• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious liberty law promotes fragmented society

psychoslice

Veteran Member
It's a highly intelligent form of willful ignorance. The contortions atheists go through to deny free will is real and with that deny the human spirit as well are supersophisticated. You can see on the wiki on free will.
Well lets face it, what on earth is free will, its your opinion, or mine nothing else.

Mohammad Nur Syamsu

Well lets face it, what on earth is free will, its your opinion, or mine nothing else.

You mean, let's sabotage our conscience a bit, and not let the reality that we choose things hit us too hardly, let's have some deniability.

Oh really judge, I could choose in life? I didn't know that, honestly.

Getting back to the subject, no way no how do I want to be united with any atheist in any way. Fragmentation, or so to say, having your own thing with your own people is key to happiness in a society with a lot of atheists.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
What next? Muslims? Jews? Liberals? Conservatives? Laws like this promote segregation! A segregated divided society is a weak society! America needs to be united! I dislike both liberals and conservatives for dividing America!

You do realize, of course, that this is a federal law signed by Bill Clinton in 1993 protecting the religious rights of Indians in regards to peyote? This new law simply gives the same rights to other religions. Think about this: suppose a Muslim restaurant had a customer that demanded a BLT, should said Muslim be forced to handle the bacon? This law would protect his religious right not to handle pork.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
You do realize, of course, that this is a federal law signed by Bill Clinton in 1993 protecting the religious rights of Indians in regards to peyote? This new law simply gives the same rights to other religions. Think about this: suppose a Muslim restaurant had a customer that demanded a BLT, should said Muslim be forced to handle the bacon? This law would protect his religious right not to handle pork.

I think this is an apples to oranges comparison. There's no law nor anything in the Constitution that would require a restaurant to serve something that isn't on the menu. You can't go into McDonald's and demand a soufflé. On the other hand, if a Christian went into a Muslim-owned restaurant and the owner said "I don't serve Christians here; get out," that would be another matter.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I think this is an apples to oranges comparison. There's no law nor anything in the Constitution that would require a restaurant to serve something that isn't on the menu. You can't go into McDonald's and demand a soufflé. On the other hand, if a Christian went into a Muslim-owned restaurant and the owner said "I don't serve Christians here; get out," that would be another matter.

Point taken. But still this law is nothing new. It's been done before.

gsa

Sorry, but this is simply not true. The previous RFRA laws applied to government action. The Indians were allowed to circumvent a government regulation that prohibited their possession of peyote if, and only if, the government could not establish that the regulation was narrowly tailored to serve a compelling government interest. By contrast, this new law creates a religious "defense" in disputes between private parties, including individuals and business establishments. And by so doing, it creates a license to discriminate not only on the basis of sexual orientation, but also religion, race, gender, and other protected categories (at least under state law; the exemption would not be applicable to federal anti-discrimination statutes). This is why Pence was avoiding answering the question when it was posed: Does this law allow businesses to refuse to serve gay people? And the answer is yes, it does.