• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious Freedom Bill passed in Missisippi.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Not if it includes not providing goods and/or services for same sex weddings.

They can still practice whatever religion they want but guess what, others may be practicing something that contadicts their beliefs, ie having a same sex union blessed by god. This bill is wanting to have their cake and eat it too, it doesnt work that way.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
OK, so whenever someone you don't like posts, you're going to swing at the strawman?

Also learn to spell Mengele.
He died in 1979 so either invent time travel or move on.

God, I wish it was a straw man. And my phone keeps auto correcting it for some reason, thank you for pointing it out.

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
God, I wish it was a straw man. And my phone keeps auto correcting it for some reason, thank you for pointing it out.

Two more posts, two more times you're not answering the question. You're really just proving my point.

And you're using it to derail every other time I post in this thread. I'm attempting to have a debate with you. Your version is "LA LA LA MENGELE LA LA LA"

Stop trying to overrun me - or anyone else with what is nothing more than an attempt to discredit me because the holocaust is a shocking subject.

That's trolling. And it's a dick thing to do.

If you can't be bothered to answer the question, don't post. You're proving my point either way.

Premium Member
Two more posts, two more times you're not answering the question. You're really just proving my point.

And you're using it to derail every other time I post in this thread. I'm attempting to have a debate with you. Your version is "LA LA LA MENGELE LA LA LA"

Stop trying to overrun me - or anyone else with what is nothing more than an attempt to discredit me because the holocaust is a shocking subject.

That's trolling. And it's a dick thing to do.

If you can't be bothered to answer the question, don't post. You're proving my point either way.

What do you want me to say? We already debated. You don't think business owners should be allowed to choose who to serve. Make fun of the Mengele thing all you want but it's still in line with the position you hold. Im not even the one who responded to you today, you responded to me and I can't respect anything on the topic that comes from someone with such a disturbing position. I gave plenty other examples of your position, I can use those if the Mengele one is too harsh a look in the mirror.

Premium Member
What do you want me to say? We already debated. You don't think business owners should be allowed to choose who to serve. Make fun of the Mengele thing all you want but it's still in line with the position you hold. Im not even the one who responded to you today, you responded to me and I can't respect anything on the topic that comes from someone with such a disturbing position. I gave plenty other examples of your position, I can use those if the Mengele one is too harsh a look in the mirror.

Now if you want to do a one on one debate arguing for complete government control in the lives of citizens I'll do it, but this thread is ****.

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl

How about if you can't be respectful, then you don't post trolling things.

I responded to you because I am trying to have a debate. Your inability to do so, per your words, is unrelated.

This is what you're doing ->:ignore:

You've had multiple people tell you they have principled positions and you decided to return with a ridiculous scenario involving a dead war criminal - who probably can't buy a sandwich for multiple reasons.

It's not "too harsh," it's stupid. You're making a stupid argument and ignoring the intelligent ones around you because the stupid one is easier.

Three posts, just today and no answer to the question. What would you do if it were you who was refused service at every place you went. Maybe they really hate Mengele being misspelled and so they've unofficially banned you from every place in town. What would you do?

People LIVED that existence less than 60 years ago. This isn't ancient history. How is it possible to forget that so quickly. It wasn't just government segregation that was oppressive it was private businesses too.

Premium Member
How about if you can't be respectful, then you don't post trolling things.

I responded to you because I am trying to have a debate. Your inability to do so, per your words, is unrelated.

This is what you're doing ->:ignore:

You've had multiple people tell you they have principled positions and you decided to return with a ridiculous scenario involving a dead war criminal - who probably can't buy a sandwich for multiple reasons.

It's not "too harsh," it's stupid. You're making a stupid argument and ignoring the intelligent ones around you because the stupid one is easier.

Three posts, just today and no answer to the question. What would you do if it were you who was refused service at every place you went. Maybe they really hate Mengele being misspelled and so they've unofficially banned you from every place in town. What would you do?

People LIVED that existence less than 60 years ago. This isn't ancient history. How is it possible to forget that so quickly. It wasn't just government segregation that was oppressive it was private businesses too.

Your whole argument relies on a straw man. I'm not just pulling this out of my *** I'm showing you the absurdities of your position. Why should I debate you when you can't even grasp the nature of metaphors and theoretical examples?

Like I said I'm not debating further on this thread. You actually want to debate me go make a one on one thread, this is my permission. Since you feel straw manned YOU start and make your position clear. If not then stop crying about me not debating, I'm simply not going to in this ridiculous megathread.

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
Your whole argument relies on a straw man. I'm not just pulling this out of my *** I'm showing you the absurdities of your position. Why should I debate you when you can't even grasp the nature of metaphors and theoretical examples?

Like I said I'm not debating further on this thread. You actually want to debate me go make a one on one thread, this is my permission. Since you feel straw manned YOU start and make your position clear. If not then stop crying about me not debating, I'm simply not going to in this ridiculous megathread.

Four posts without answering. And pretending it's fake now.

And multiple saying you're done posting without stopping.

I have no desire to start a special thread for you. Stop trying to call me stupid by pretending you know what I can and can't grasp.

Your personal insults are childish.

Premium Member
Four posts without answering. And pretending it's fake now.

And multiple saying you're done posting without stopping.

I have no desire to start a special thread for you. Stop trying to call me stupid by pretending you know what I can and can't grasp.

Your personal insults are childish.

I didn't say I wasn't replying I said I'm not debating. Drop all the ad hominems and fallacies, if you're not going to debate stop pretending otherwise. I already debated the anti-fascism, equal rights side of this topic in this thread. You can go back and look or you can start a new thread, but stop pretending you want to debate if you're not going to. I've answered every question you've thrown at me AFAIK and am more than willing to start over in a less cluttered, one on one thread without the open reign of members to get in the middle.

Also, there's a difference between me calling your position disgusting or absurd (maybe you should look up the reduction to absurdity) and you calling me stupid and childish.

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
I didn't say I wasn't replying I said I'm not debating. Drop all the ad hominems and fallacies, if you're not going to debate stop pretending otherwise. I already debated the anti-fascism, equal rights side of this topic in this thread. You can go back and look or you can start a new thread, but stop pretending you want to debate if you're not going to. I've answered every question you've thrown at me AFAIK and am more than willing to start over in a less cluttered, one on one thread without the open reign of members to get in the middle.

Also, there's a difference between me calling your position disgusting or absurd (maybe you should look up the reduction to absurdity) and you calling me stupid and childish.

I called the argument stupid and the insults childish.

I posted today with:
I don't have that right at my job. An employee can be fired for expressing her opinion at work. Particularly if that opinion is offensive, but even if it isn't or if she doesn't think it is.

Businesses aren't people, despite recent Supreme Court rulings. They don't have the right to discriminate, the law specifically prohibits it. And it's been a net improvement to the country.

No one can ever say what they would do in a small town if businesses were allowed to refuse to serve "them" for whatever population they are. Imagine it as an unofficial sundown law... why is that OK?

Feel free to debate if you want to, but don't pretend I'm not interested, when you're the one who says he has no respect for me, states that I cannot grasp something because I disagree with it - calling me stupid - and your first response was "whoa holocaust" again.

You attempted to reduce to absurdity and I pointed out it was both absurd and that my argument was internally consistent and a principled position. You repeatedly misrepresent my position and those of others agreeing as "the government forcing a poor little old lady who survived the holocaust to serve a dead war criminal." When my position is consistent as, no business is allowed to discriminate. That means sometimes Anti-semites walk into a Jewish Deli. That means sometimes gay couples come to buy a cake from a Christian dude. That means sometimes the guy who advocates for the name "Redskins" walks into a native owned store.

It's not the government forcing any one person to do something, it's the responsibilities of the business owner to not discriminate- and thus to impart and enforce that with their employees, if any. That is already the law of the land in such states that include gay couples as a protected class, and is growing to become one nationally.

Black people in America lived in towns that had unofficial sundown laws (not to mention official ones), that's not a strawman. Chipping away the protections like this law does, means that that could happen again. Why is it so ridiculous to imagine that no one in town might serve YOU because of your faith or your skin tone? Or is it just that hard to figure out what to do?

Premium Member
"the government forcing a poor little old lady who survived the holocaust to serve a dead war criminal."

And you wonder why I said you can't grasp hypothetical examples. You decide to stop barking and start biting I'll play, but as youve been unable to comprehend I'll only do it one on one, you against me, instead of a forum where others can participate on a subject I've debated into the ground. I'm even giving you the first post to start over so we can go in fresh and I'll leave the super complex hypothetical situations at the door. Bark or bite? Either way stop raging and PM me if you make the thread.

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
And you wonder why I said you can't grasp hypothetical examples. You decide to stop barking and start biting I'll play, but as youve been unable to comprehend I'll only do it one on one, you against me, instead of a forum where others can participate on a subject I've debated into the ground. I'm even giving you the first post to start over so we can go in fresh and I'll leave the super complex hypothetical situations at the door. Bark or bite? Either way stop raging and PM me if you make the thread.

I only bite people I like.

You refuse to engage, so stop trolling and we can move on. You're not worth any more of my time.

Premium Member
I only bite people I like.

You refuse to engage, so stop trolling and we can move on. You're not worth any more of my time.

Lol I'm not trolling, I'm even fully willing to debate with you but only if we start from the beginning with the bill and concerns and others aren't allowed to butt in. That's not trolling - literally not in any way. If you can even just do that it's hard for me to believe you're overly invested in your position.

But storming off is certainly a way to run off without the ego damage that comes with it. But don't ever ask to debate me if you're not willing to.

idav

Being
Premium Member
People already have the freedom to be jerks unless there is some anti-bullying law I am unaware of. Is it too much to ask that they not give a license to be jerks allowing the avoidance of the repercussions of living in a free society that frowns upon it? This is for anyone who cares to answer.

And to top it they want to throw in god we trust in their state seal to rub it in. They know exactly what they are doing.

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
No one can ever say what they would do in a small town if businesses were allowed to refuse to serve "them" for whatever population they are. Imagine it as an unofficial sundown law... why is that OK?

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
People already have the freedom to be jerks unless there is some anti-bullying law I am unaware of. Is it too much to ask that they not give a license to be jerks allowing the avoidance of the repercussions of living in a free society that frowns upon it? This is for anyone who cares to answer.

And to top it they want to throw in god we trust in their state seal to rub it in. They know exactly what they are doing.
Exactly.

I don't care if they think horrible things about me, as long as they serve me my subway sandwich - and don't spit in it, that's a health code violation - we're cool.

I'd think horrible things about them for being a bigot too, probably.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member

There are anti-bullying laws.