• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious executions

fulp

It's hard to justify killing people, and giving how it, uhm, tends to affect the lives of those executed and those near them, it *really* needs to be justified. So just hiding behind some supposed commands from behind the curtain doesn't cut it, that'd be like putting a 3 year old child behind the wheel of a truck.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Godwilling,

Why are religious executions such as those of the Inquisition and those of Sharia Law so horrendous?
Do you know of any other form of religious executions that is not *horrendous*

Love & rgds

apophenia

For the same reason that mafia vengeance killings are so horrendous. To scare the **** out of anybody who is even considering questioning the authority and power of the executioner.

It is possible to kill in a way that is not so horrendous. A bullet in the head without a process of terrorising first for example. That is basically how we kill the animals we eat - we fire a bolt into their head.

The kind of killing you are referring to is a message to the living.

"Shock and Awe".

You know ?

Asking

Why are religious executions such as those of the Inquisition and those of Sharia Law so horrendous?

If I wanted to discourge people from breaking religious law I'd probably try to use means which are painful and drawn out where possible to intimidate others into behaving. There is also the secondary issue that most authorities which still execute people for religious reason aren't particually concerned about human rights and and have no interest in making executions cleaner and quicker.

I think what it ultimately comes down too is whether or not an authority is concerned about what the populace will think about brutal executions. If the opinion of the populace doesn't matter or the populace enjoys brutal execusions then they'll continue to be brutal.

If the populace which supports execution is a bit squeemish when it comes to the details then the authorities will probably try and make it look a bit more humane and put out propoganda about how their way of killing people is much nicer.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Aren't executions horrendous in general? To me it seems pretty irrelevant whether it is labeled as "religious" or not.

connermt

It's funny: people say these types of executions aren't just, but when god (supposedly) wiped out hundreds (or more) people by drowning them, as well as every land animal (but the new bible says every animal - guess god forgot about the animals in the ocean) for not kissing god's bum, this is considered "just" simply because god did it. Or when he leveld a city for "sex acts" (actions and desires he gave his creation), that's A-OK!
Talk about hypocritical.
Sometimes I think that word was created just for the bible.....

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Like the execution of Jesus? I imagine because "God" doesn't like it when people don't take him seriously.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Because no matter how much faith a violent person has, that person is still violent- and the people who were responsible for those actions were violent. Religion itself isn't the cause, only those who were violent who just happen to be in charge during that time. The world is a violent place.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friends,
We are speaking of good and evil and most tend to accept only good but those who understand the concept of *God* which Taoism refer to as flow or balance then we understand that good and evil are two aspects of the same coin and balance is in the centre like day follows night.
We have different season but still we survive or those who are able to be with the flow survive. Those who are weak take precautions to survive others simply brave it out and for few seasons come and go for they remain still meaning that monks in Tibet meditate on the snowy mountains at night with very little clothes. The are able to mainatain balance simply by regulating their breathing.
Each one of us get angry which is our dark side, some of us are able to control it some don't but few never get angry as they are balanced.
It is not enough to not show anger as without proper outlet it swells up to burst at some point or else shows as blood pressure or some other ailment.
Those who are able to develop love they too are able to balance anger but still anger has not been transcended by them as when the mind is transcended both love and anger no more remains visible as they become mirrors for others to see their own anger or love as projected.

Love & rgds

connermt

Because no matter how much faith a violent person has, that person is still violent- and the people who were responsible for those actions were violent. Religion itself isn't the cause, only those who were violent who just happen to be in charge during that time. The world is a violent place.

Faith doesn't, in of itself, cause change. It (should be) the "love of god" that causes a violent person not to (act on) their violent intentions and thus, not "be" violent.
Maybe the world is a violent place, but it's allowed to be that way by god. He dstroyed the world once, and at least another city, yet he still allows this "violent world" to exists....

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Faith doesn't, in of itself, cause change. It (should be) the "love of god" that causes a violent person not to (act on) their violent intentions and thus, not "be" violent.
Maybe the world is a violent place, but it's allowed to be that way by god. He destroyed

the world once, and at least another city, yet he still allows this "violent world" to exists....

I know what you're saying. But just because a person "finds" faith doesn't necessarily mean they are truly following God outside of their own interpretations. It goes along with the statement "By his/her fruits, you will know him or her". I don't want to judge, but if a person calls himself or herself a Christian, that doesn't mean they are truly following the faith the way they should be. But that is between that person and God. I won't say that are not a true person of that faith, but I can have some doubts. ;)

I think the Worldwide flood was probably a symbolic story.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Isn't that judging itself?

No, not the way I put it. I just said that doubt would enter my mind- the judging part, I leave to God. Doubt would enter my mind if a person said she didn't eat meat because she didn't like the thought of killing animals if she wore leather shoes, for example. ;) I mean, aren't animals killed for leather, too? :)

connermt

She didn´t say she wouldn´t she said she doesn´t want to. I am also sure she refferred to not judging specific persons rather than general attitudes, but I could be wrong.

If one doesn't want to, then don't.
Judging isn't always involuntary

connermt

No, not the way I put it. I just said that doubt would enter my mind- the judging part, I leave to God. Doubt would enter my mind if a person said she didn't eat meat because she didn't like the thought of killing animals if she wore leather shoes, for example. ;) I mean, aren't animals killed for leather, too? :)

Sounds like you're making excuses for doing something you said you wouldn't do. It's difficult in a place as this to say what you mean sometimes.
Let this be a lesson then: even with the best intentions, what's said can be taken to be not what's MEANT to be said.
Personally, I still say it's judging, but personally I don't care if you judge or not. And I'm sure you probably don't care what I personally think, right HAHA :yes::)