• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious debate game!

tumble_weed

Well I had a little idea...and that was to have a debate about religion...but not from your own point of view...but instead of a predetermined viewpoint...I just hope that this will work out -_-

anyway what you have to do is argue the point based on what someone from that belief system would say...this is just like an ordinary debate but instead you a debating from a chosen side...everyone has to debate in the order they are listed there...in a nice ABC pattern XD...so the first person to argue a point would argue how an atheist would argue...the Buddhist...then Christian....etc...and once the order has gone around we start back at Atheism...and just continue in that order....

OK so I wont have a list of all religions only the most common...in fact I'll only have three that way it will be more interesting...the religions are:

Atheism
Buddhism
Christian

yes it's broad but it will make it more interesting...tell me if you think there should be more views...but I think it should work fine with three

I'll wait until someone argues the first point since it would be better if someone else starts because since I'm atheist and all (well and the fact that it's nearly 1am)

the topic will be:

God created the universe and everything in it

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
there is no God. the universe spontaneously made itself (big bang).

God could not have created everythin because there is no God.

Are you really going to trust SCIENTISTS to figure out how the universe works? How can anyone be so gullible! Allow me to enlighten you with a much more plausible story about a former Indian aristocrat who figured everything out for us while sitting under a tree one day.

*tells the story of Buddha*

Therefore, there is no "God" in the universe who we should worship, as God is merely a capitalized word with an ambiguous meaning. However, there is a certain Oneness to the universe which can be acheived when one's Self becomes Enlightened.

Science is not the way to Enlightenment, though I would like to add that the Big Bang theory that all those non-Buddhists scientists came up with supports the Oneness that Buddhism has been talking about all along.

Ceridwen018

How can you all be so blind? GOD is all around us--in nature, in the people we meet (except atheists), everything! If you can't see him in your everyday environment, it is because you are spiritually underdeveloped, and it is only after you accept JESUS into your heart that you can truly grow!

You can only be saved if you acknowledge HIM and turn away from your sinful ways. GOD crys like a little lamb every day because we are so disrespectful to him. HE gave us life and a wonderful world to live in and how do we repay HIM? We sin.

As for the beginning of the universe, I can only laugh at your feeble attempts of explanation. Big Bang? Are you joking me? Genesis 1:12 says "and the LORD created the heavens and the earth." So there you have it.

Ceridwen018

What's the matter boys? Cat got your tongue? More like JESUS got your tongue!

I can only assume that your silence means the HOLY SPIRIT has come to you after reading my first post! I'm so excited! My first converts! Oh praise the LORD!

Throw away all of those foolish thoughts of the 'big bang' and 'oneness'. Atheists are simply little lost lambs, who are really searching for their shepards, (GOD), even if they don't know it, and Buddhists...well, I don't really know anything about Buddhism, but it sounds pretty pagan to me. Allow me to show you the light!

Here are some links to help you with your new-found faith!

www.jesusismypal.com
www.creationismislaw.com
www.evilution.com
www.enemiesofthechurch/scientists/satan.com

**Mod Edit**Language

You going Christian Ceridwen, or are your comments made in gest? As for me, the Big Band can't explain the beginning of the universe because how can something create itself out of nothing. It would be like a pizza appearing on a counter without the cheese, sauce, or crust ingredients being there (not to mention any person being there to make it!)! As for the the other faiths in the world, they are false religions created by Satan to disrupt the work of the Christian church. Athiests have either not heard the word of God or they refuse to believe it. If you look at the divisions in Christianity (doctrinally speaking) you see the Devil's handiwork. However look at the other religions in the world. They are not contested as heavily as Christianity is. I think it shows were the world throws its support.

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
what are you talking about? these religions that *satan* supposedly created came before the christian church...

sorry if i had strayed from the thread...

im going to be a buddhist now

I believe that there is no God, rather there is only suffering in the universe. the cause of that suffering in the universe is desire. a control over desire will stop the suffering in the universe.

voila.

*taking the Christian perspective*

God definitely did create the universe, just as God makes all things happen. The Big Bang theory in no way contradicts this fact...for what caused the Big Bang? What caused what caused the Big Bang? There is forever an unknowable thing that started it all, and that thing has a name-- God.

Think about it: the universe can have no purpose without some kind of higher being who created it for a purpose/purposes. If there is no God, then why can energy not be created or destroyed, as natural law dictates? An atheist or Buddhist will tell you "because, we have observed this to be true". I agree, we have observed it to be true, but WHY is it true? Why can't energy be destroyed, why not the other way around? We agree that there are laws which cannot be broken, but the atheist and the Buddhist cannot explain WHY these law exists as opposed to their opposite i.e. "energy can be both created and destroyed". The fact that one law exists and the other law does not indicates an unseen purpose or reason behind the universe having one over the other.

Since purpose and reason can only come from sentient beings, we know there must be some kind of entity out there who gives our universe purpose and meaning. Did the Big Bang create the universe? Perhaps. But God created the Big Bang.

Christian perspective: God created the universe and everything in it

Jesus died for your sins... For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son... You can only be saved throught the blood of Jesus christ. ...Jesus took away my sins and died to take away yours.

ooops. my bad. sorry these are the sayings i always get hit with when i ask something from a christian.

Brien

sorry if i had strayed from the thread...

I don't think that matters since everyone else has. I interpreted the original post to intend this to be a game testing rhetoric and debate skills, not a game to create a juxtaposition of sarcasm and poorly construed, unfounded arguments. If the purpose is the latter, then the mods should have locked it in my opinion.

Ceridwen018

This is a game based on satire, certainly, but as we have our fun we are also learning much more about the other's point of view than we ever could by just listening to them.

Please everyone, lets cooperate and play along. This has the potential of being very interesting as well as humorous but we have to work together.

The tally so far is thus:

Gerani: Buddhist
Spinkles and Ceridwen: Christian
Brien, DontFearMe, LCMS: Undeclared

Remember, all religions are welcome--you don't have to pick from those three.

Alright kids, let the games begin! If I could make a suggestion, LCMS I think you should be an Atheist--I think we'd see some funny stuff from that!

Whoa, hang on just one Texas minute there, Ceridwen...I think it is up to the original poster, tumble weed, to decide the rules as we play along. I was kidding around with my first post from the Buddhist perspective, but that last post was an earnest attempt to make a good case from the Christian perspective.

What I would really like to see is some theists take on the atheist perspective and confront the arguments I put forth in my post (which was from the Christian perspective).

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
a theist being an atheist:

there cannot be any God because there is too much suffering in the world (there is a reason behind this you kno...).

i have seen no proof, give me the @#$% evidence!1

Runt

My, this thread sure reveals the frusterations each group has against its opposition...

tumble_weed

hey Ceridwen good idea, you could make another topic with that idea...and yeah the topic if you think about us gives us more perspective on other people's views....;)

The evidence!...you see because of your craving for the truth you feel disatisfied just as the Buddah taught...you should follow the eight fold path to fully understand the noble truths

Ceridwen018

Buddha's teachings parallel those of Christianity a little, so I guess I can accept him as a cool dude, but does he believe in Creationism? I do.

Spinkles, you say that evolution and god can fit together, but that is right out (Monty Python, hehe). Creationism is the way to god and you can't call yourself a true Christian if you think otherwise.