• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religions are Manmade

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
4) Religions were created by well meaning but flawed men attempting to understand a partical view of the divine.

Personally I'm Christian because having studied religions I beieve its got the least incomplete view of the inspiring Truth.

I can see that to a limited degree. Religion was developed through well-meaning attempts at interpretation to which the divine is attributed. Beyond the initial stages, organized religion as it developed and expanded from its beginnings took a life of its own so to speak.

For better or worse is of course up to the beholder and those who cross paths.

TheGodHypothesis

Descent with modification
I utilize logic and faith an addition to observed scientific evidence to understand the universe, its properties, its origins and its purposes.

I suppose that's where our disagreement lies. I think logic and faith are mutually exclusive mindsets. If that is your personal philosophy, however, I suppose your statements are subjectively rational.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You are most welcome to your opinion!

Of course, a few billion people disagree with you.

Just the facts.

Bruce
Appeal to popularity has always been a poor argument. Facts don't become true or false based on the number of people that have a certain opinion about a fact.

BruceDLimber

Fear is a primal motivator and the truth is far to sinister for most to comprehend.

For YOU perhaps!

But my religion is in no way based on fear and provides an infinitely more positive outlook on life and existence in general!

So sorry you're hung up on fear; I suggest you look around and discover other religions that don't share that defect.

Peace,

Bruce

Man of Faith

I agree that all religion is manmade which is why Jesus taught against it and told the religious leader of his day that they must be born again. God tells us in his word that true religion is taking care of others in need.

Religion tries to make us righteous by works, by the outside in. But saving faith makes us righteous from the inside out.

orcel

Amature Theologian
I agree that all religion is manmade which is why Jesus taught against it and told the religious leader of his day that they must be born again. God tells us in his word that true religion is taking care of others in need.

Religion tries to make us righteous by works, by the outside in. But saving faith makes us righteous from the inside out.

Well said.

nevaya

For YOU perhaps!

But my religion is in no way based on fear and provides an infinitely more positive outlook on life and existence in general!

So sorry you're hung up on fear; I suggest you look around and discover other religions that don't share that defect.

Peace,

Bruce
I never suggested that I myself fear anything, but religion in general certainly plays on the fears of man. Christians attempt to repent in fear of the afterlife.

BruceDLimber

Christians attempt to repent in fear of the afterlife.

Whereas Baha'is have no fear whatever about the Next Life and, indeed, welcome it! :)

I quote our scriptures:

"O SON OF THE SUPREME!
"I have made death a messenger of joy to thee; wherefore dost thou grieve?
"I have made the light to shine on thee its splendor; why dost thou veil thyself therefrom?"
--The Hidden Words, Part Two, #32

Best! :)

Bruce

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
If popularity was a deciding factor in whether something is true or not you might be onto something but its not. Its also arguable whether or not religion really deserves it popularity given that it relies so heavily on child indoctrination and the exploitation of the emotionally vulnerable.

Religion is a consequence of wanting to believe something is true because its comforting and appears to provide answers to many of lifes questions. It is evidently man-made because so far we've not come across any religious animals as far as I'm aware from whom we could have learned it from.
I disagree with your slant on religion -- at least from an orthodox Christian POV, which is the only one for which I can unabashedly vouch. We don't "indoctrinate" children any more than our schools do by teaching children patriotism. We also don't exploit the weak. Teaching one's children truth as the parents understand truth is not "indoctrination." It's called "parenting." As for your second "point," the church is there to lift individuals and to include the outcast in community. I don't see how that equates to exploitation. At all.

Additionally, comfort and answers are not the "goal" of my religion. I think you'll find that the Christian spiritual life is rather rigorous, dangerous, and provides more opportunities for asking questions than it provides pat answers.

But I agree that it's (at least in part) a human product.

Last edited:

waitasec

Veteran Member
I suggest that all religions are manmade. I do not mean to suggest that they are all false, but rather that mankind has an incomplete understanding of Truth. Therefore we take the aspects of Truth that we do know and focus on that bit of Truth, add in a little dogma to fill in the gaps and create a religion.

Further diferent groups or cultures, by focusing on distint aspects of the limited view of Truth we have been given and each creating their own dogma (based partically on culture) can create very different religions.

Hence I rarely blame God for the actions of religious people who claim to be acting on His behalf. God is not a fault there, rather the flawed, confused and ignorant people are.

Opinions?

the problem lies with the notion of the creator yearning for a relationship with its creation. when all we are subjected to is indifference.
this fallacy gives the "created" an undue sense of importance and then the rest of your OP applies...

sojourner

the problem lies with the notion of the creator yearning for a relationship with its creation. when all we are subjected to is indifference.
this fallacy gives the "created" an undue sense of importance and then the rest of your OP applies...
I suppose it's a difference of perspective. I don't perceive indifference. I perceive caring. And so I come together in relationship with like-minded people in order to embody that caring. That's called ... religion.

waitasec

Veteran Member
I suppose it's a difference of perspective. I don't perceive indifference. I perceive caring. And so I come together in relationship with like-minded people in order to embody that caring. That's called ... religion.

religion brings a sense of solidarity...a part of our defense mechanism for our survival is to feel comforted and the sense of belonging/purpose in the face of indifferent randomness...

sojourner

religion brings a sense of solidarity...a part of our defense mechanism for our survival is to feel comforted and the sense of belonging/purpose in the face of indifferent randomness...
That "indifferent randomness" is not what we feel from God, but is what we feel from humanity.

waitasec

Veteran Member
That "indifferent randomness" is not what we feel from God, but is what we feel from humanity.

how about disease or a child developing a brain tumor?
these things are a result of living in an indifferent world...no purpose.
how about the odds of a sperm reaching the egg...timing...and what is the purpose of having so many sperm if it's determined to be the destiny of one is the purpose?

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
You are most welcome to your opinion!

Of course, a few billion people disagree with you.

Just the facts.

Bruce
People tend to disagree with the idea that their own religion is manmade. Generally (and yes, I know Baha'is are an exception to this, but there aren't exactly 2 billion of you), there's pretty good agreement that the other guy's religion is made up.

Orias

Left Hand Path
It seems to me that religion is most likely man-made, However even those of us are nontheist can appreciate the comfort in knowing you are saved by a supernatural being that has the ability to continue life....forever.How lovely it must be to live in a fairytale.

How lovely indeed...

I suggest that all religions are manmade.

The possibility of anything else has to yet to be determined. All religions are manmade, by a "God" that manmade himself.

I do not mean to suggest that they are all false, but rather that mankind has an incomplete understanding of Truth.

The entirety of truth is "within us". They represent single pieces.

Leading to the Belief in One False Principal dichotomy.

Therefore we take the aspects of Truth that we do know and focus on that bit of Truth, add in a little dogma to fill in the gaps and create a religion.

:D

Arrogance and deception, torment and bliss, was given to us by those who so seemingly lack a justification of their own individuality.