• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religion & Spirituality

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
It's a weird relationship; they can either be components of the same thing, or substitutes for each other.

edit: sorry, that doesn't really answer your question.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
It seems highly subjective, but I would say the fundamental difference is that religion is more structured/dogmatic, and spirituality is more personal/subjective.

A simpler way to break it down would be religion is more external, spirituality is more internal.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
My take is that religion is details of teaching and theology, and spirituality is what you do with it. IOW, religion is merely believed, spirituality is LIVED. Everyone has a spirituality.

Thoughts?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
What do you think is the difference between the two?
Here's my crack at it:

Religion describes practice, spirituality describes belief. Often, the two are linked, but I think that the relationship between them is probably best described of one of cause and effect: spirituality informs religion, and religion is a response to spirituality.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
My take is that religion is details of teaching and theology, and spirituality is what you do with it. IOW, religion is merely believed, spirituality is LIVED. Everyone has a spirituality.

Thoughts?
I'm not sure I agree. I think that one of the key things that makes a religion a religion is a community of shared belief.

To me, it's not so much a matter of religion being better/worse or more/less than spirituality; I think that religion is one expression of spirituality.

To look at it another way: spirituality deals with individual, personal beliefs. Religion deals with shared spiritual beliefs and relationships between people in the context of those beliefs.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Here's my crack at it:

Religion describes practice, spirituality describes belief. Often, the two are linked, but I think that the relationship between them is probably best described of one of cause and effect: spirituality informs religion, and religion is a response to spirituality.
Heh, pretty much the exact opposite of mine.

I'm not sure I agree. I think that one of the key things that makes a religion a religion is a community of shared belief.

To me, it's not so much a matter of religion being better/worse or more/less than spirituality; I think that religion is one expression of spirituality.

To look at it another way: spirituality deals with individual, personal beliefs. Religion deals with shared spiritual beliefs and relationships between people in the context of those beliefs.
It all hinges on how we define the words, doesn't it? As you define them, this makes perfect sense to me. I see nothing to argue, and would go so far as to say that, while different, our perspectives are in harmony.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Everyone has a spirituality.

Thoughts?

I would definitely not say that I'm spiritual. Of course, this is primarily a result of the common usage/connotations of the word. For most people, it implies either religious belief, belief in something supernatural, or some other etherial belief about something 'greater' than or apart from the physical world. None of these describe me, so I would not use the word to describe myself, nor my experiences.

I have certainly had many experiences people would describe as 'spiritual' - in fact, quite often, but I see no reason to see them as anything more than an intensely profound/pleasurable neural response as a result of a particular combination of stimuli and circumstance. No additional explanations seem necessary to me.

I am alright with seeing the most rational/simple process behind the experience without my subjective experience being somehow diminished or dulled. Adding mysticism, magic, mystery, or supernatural elements isn't necessary for me, nor does it add anything. I perceive enough wonder, magic, and awe of the weirdness and complexity of the physical world itself.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I would definitely not say that I'm spiritual. Of course, this is primarily a result of the common usage/connotations of the word. For most people, it implies either religious belief, belief in something supernatural, or some other etherial belief about something 'greater' than or apart from the physical world. None of these describe me, so I would not use the word to describe myself, nor my experiences.
OK, but that's not how I was using the word. Accepting my definitions for the sake of discussion, would you still deny that you're spiritual?

I have certainly had many experiences people would describe as 'spiritual' - in fact, quite often, but I see no reason to see them as anything more than an intensely profound/pleasurable neural response as a result of a particular combination of stimuli and circumstance. No additional explanations seem necessary to me.

I am alright with seeing the most rational/simple process behind the experience without my subjective experience being somehow diminished or dulled. Adding mysticism, magic, mystery, or supernatural elements isn't necessary for me, nor does it add anything. I perceive enough wonder, magic, and awe of the weirdness and complexity of the physical world itself.
I don't think spirituality is about experiences. It's basically about consistency with your values. To approach it from another angle, practicing what you preach is healthy spirituality. Unhealthy spirituality is hypocrisy, intellectual dishonesty, or (more mildly) simply not knowing how to put your beliefs into practice. That last one has been a problem for me in the past.

EDIT: FTR, I don't mean to imply that the definition of "spiritual" that you gave is wrong. I don't think there's one answer to that question; it's a vague word.

Last edited:

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
OK, but that's not how I was using the word. Accepting my definitions for the sake of discussion, would you still deny that you're spiritual?

"My take is that religion is details of teaching and theology, and spirituality is what you do with it."

If that is your definition, then I definitely am not spiritual.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
"My take is that religion is details of teaching and theology, and spirituality is what you do with it."

If that is your definition, then I definitely am not spiritual.
Fair enough, and poorly spoken on my part. I think post 12 clarified, though. :p

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
By your description, I would simply use the word 'integrity' instead of 'spirituality'. Seems to describe the same thing, but without any confusing connotations.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
What do you think is the difference between the two?

Perhaps religion is what spiritual people left behind. or rather the social system that was triggered by the teachings of spiritual men, or the system that was built around the myths of these men in the basic level, and the dogma that was built around the intellectual philosophy of these men.

Last edited:

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Spirituality is a connection with God and Spirits. Religion are the rituals and rules applied to that connection. They are connected but not the same.