• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Religion of Peace?"

The US is not a Christian nation. What astounds me is people who take a statement "turn the other cheek", thinking they know what it means, then imputing their meaning to others that they think aren't following the meaning they manufactured. No, the US is not "systematically bombing civilians".

Drone wars: the full data — The Bureau of Investigative Journalism

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/24/...-is-often-unsure-about-who-will-die.html?_r=0

US sets records with number of drone strikes in Afghanistan this year

The Toll Of 5 Years Of Drone Strikes: 2,400 Dead | The Huffington Post

Trump admin ups drone strikes, tolerates higher civilian casualties

As I have said at least a million times, a person or persons can call themselves anything. It is the quality of there actions related to what THEY SAY they believe which determines who and what they really are. Christ himself spoke of these people. No, the US is not a Christian nation.

I agree and am glad that the US is not a Christian theocracy. However, the majority of people in the US identify as Christian. The vast majority of political leaders in the US identify as Christian. So why is a country that is full of Christians the biggest warmonger in the world for the past five decades?

No, your references to the OT need to be specifically presented, so I can specifically deal with them. The comparison is faulty and if you were as educated on the issue as you think you are, you would know that. So, pointing out what the islamic holy books say, and command, and the historical evidence that islam was very good at following these commands is bigotry. I am smearing no one, and anyone, any moslem is welcome to take me rto task if I misrepresent their books or history, few have done so, the few who have cannot and don't argue with the words as written, they fade away. Since you are big on bogus indignation, and casting slurs, but very small on knowledge, why don't you read all the books, the OT the NT, the koran and hadith, and maybe some history. When you are equipped, get back to me ?

The point I am making and that you are ignoring is that Christianity and Islam originate from bronze age civilizations that BOTH had a barbaric mindset. The Crusades and inquisition are perfect examples of how Christians were perfectly willing to wage holy wars. I am an atheist and often find that Christians are intolerant and can also be violent. So it's only fair Christians/Christianity be criticized for violence, right? I have no interest in the islamophobia that western war propaganda has been eagerly inciting for the past 17 years. Wouldn't you like peace? Do you think bashing Muslims/Islam is going to foster peace?

Is The Bible More Violent Than The Quran?

Exodus 21:7-11
Exodus 21:20-21
Exodus 22:16-20
Leviticus 19:20-22
Leviticus 25:44-46
Leviticus 27:1-8
Deuteronomy 22:28-29
1 Corinthians 14:34-35

It seems you're blurring a lot of lines here and being a bit selective in the bits of history you're using?

Some examples:

- "the west" did not start and sustain the 1000 year conflict between Sunni and Shia.
- "the west" did not initiate Islamic expansionism during Islam's first 1000 years.
- more recently, "the west" did not chase virtually all the Christians out of Turkey
- "the west" is not chasing virtually all of the Christians out of the ME
- "the west" doesn't impose apostasy laws on the ME
and so on.

This is not to say that there haven't been some horrible western interventions - there have been. But to imply that the Muslim world is in the shape it's in because "the west" is, as you say, delusional.

Once again you ignore the actual point I was making and try to deflect. The "rebels" in Syria are outside actors financed/trained by Saudia Arabia, Qatar, and the US. In 2005 Saudia Arabia offered to finance everything if the US went into Syria and toppled Assad's government. Because......they want to put a pipeline through Syria and Syria and Russia don't want it. When thousands flee because of this war over OIL, the good upstanding Christians of America respond "You're not coming into our country you dirty Muslims!". Where is all the love and generosity Christians are supposed to show to those in need?

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Once again you ignore the actual point I was making and try to deflect. The "rebels" in Syria are outside actors financed/trained by Saudia Arabia, Qatar, and the US. In 2005 Saudia Arabia offered to finance everything if the US went into Syria and toppled Assad's government. Because......they want to put a pipeline through Syria and Syria and Russia don't want it. When thousands flee because of this war over OIL, the good upstanding Christians of America respond "You're not coming into our country you dirty Muslims!". Where is all the love and generosity Christians are supposed to show to those in need?

Those are extremely consequential claims. Got a citation or two?

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Orthodox Catholic alone is more times than that. Again though, we're going to disagree over sharia being something akin to fundamentalism (however that works) to the majority of Muslims. Also depends on how you're re qualifying fundamentalism.

Since we seem to be struggling over definitions (which seems like a useful pursuit), how about this:

"A fundamentalist is one who wants to live in a theocracy"

J2hapydna

All things weren't desolated, the temple was. The desolation of ALL things hasn't occurred yet, but you will know when it does

Yes, but we have been waiting 2,000 years. You haven't shared with us when did the first Christians say who was what in Revelations and the wait is 2,000 years? Every few years you have a new flavor of ice cream.

By the way, if there isn't a time limit then the time limit is infinity. Mathematically there is nothing great about such a prediction. Even the dinosaur s got wiped given enough time. It's no big deal if it happens. A prophecy has to be more precise than that. Otherwise it proves nothing.

I would wait with you but I already know god exists because it happened 390 years after the desolation of the temple just as Jesus said and Daniel said. It happened just as Jesus said in Matt 24 and Isaiah 19. The probability of that is so small one wonders if there isn't a god telling Jesus Isaiah and Daniel about the future

The fact is that in the past people dismissed these events as fabricated legends, saying these things that Precopious and others had recorded didn't actually happen. They weren't considered reliable. Even in my lifetime I can remember people saying that the Koresh were Egyptians and unrelated to Abraham etc. However now we have the Smithsonian and National Geographic confirming what was recorded by Procpious and others.

Now I will let you explain why the official Christian historians didn't document these things and why they began asking where MP was mentioned in the Bible when they obviously knew these prophesies were in the Bible and these things happened

Last edited:

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Since we seem to be struggling over definitions (which seems like a useful pursuit), how about this:

"A fundamentalist is one who wants to live in a theocracy"
If it's all the same to you maybe another time. I'm extracting myself from this particular thread at the moment. If you want to make a new thread about what fundamentalism is and how it applies outside the Christian fundamentalist movement I would totally go there, that's an interesting and worthwhile subject.
The Muslim bashing going on here right now though? Not so much.

shmogie

Yes, but we have been waiting 2,000 years. You haven't shared with us when did the first Christians say who was what in Revelations and the wait is 2,000 years? Every few years you have a new flavor of ice cream.

By the way, if there isn't a time limit then the time limit is infinity. Mathematically there is nothing great about such a prediction. Even the dinosaur s got wiped given enough time. It's no big deal if it happens. A prophecy has to be more precise than that. Otherwise it proves nothing.

I would wait with you but I already know god exists because it happened 390 years after the desolation of the temple just as Jesus said and Daniel said. It happened just as Jesus said in Matt 24 and Isaiah 19. The probability of that is so small one wonders if there isn't a god telling Jesus Isaiah and Daniel about the future

The fact is that in the past people dismissed these events as fabricated legends, saying these things that Precopious and others had recorded didn't actually happen. They weren't considered reliable. Even in my lifetime I can remember people saying that the Koresh were Egyptians and unrelated to Abraham etc. However now we have the Smithsonian and National Geographic confirming what was recorded by Procpious and others.

Now I will let you explain why the official Christian historians didn't document these things and why they began asking where MP was mentioned in the Bible when they obviously knew these prophesies were in the Bible and these things happened
Make your question clearer please, I am not sure what you are asking

shmogie

The point I am making and that you are ignoring is that Christianity and Islam originate from bronze age civilizations that BOTH had a barbaric mindset. The Crusades and inquisition are perfect examples of how Christians were perfectly willing to wage holy wars. I am an atheist and often find that Christians are intolerant and can also be violent. So it's only fair Christians/Christianity be criticized for violence, right? I have no interest in the islamophobia that western war propaganda has been eagerly inciting for the past 17 years. Wouldn't you like peace? Do you think bashing Muslims/Islam is going to foster peace?

Is The Bible More Violent Than The Quran?

Exodus 21:7-11
Exodus 21:20-21
Exodus 22:16-20
Leviticus 19:20-22
Leviticus 25:44-46
Leviticus 27:1-8
Deuteronomy 22:28-29
1 Corinthians 14:34-35
Allow me some time to research your quotations and I will get back to you. Sorry, but Christianity originated with Jesus Christ, long after the bronze age. I know what you are trying to say though, that since Christianity is linked to Judaism, that what you see in the founding of Judaism that is wrong ( I will dispute that ) is part of Christianity. That I will accept, but surely you recognize that the founding of the original Israel and what you are concerned about was 3,000 years ago, and that Israel ceased establishing itself then, in a tiny area. Islam began in 600 A.D and it conquered Christian Lebanon in the 1960's - 80's. Unwarranted violence by anyone is wrong, but Christians don't give up the right of self defense, individually or collectively. You brought up the crusades. Well, initially they were in response to 200 years of moslem warfare in Christian lands and constant harassment by them on shared borders. They were tiny in comparison to moslem conquest and killing. You are trying to draw a moral equivilncy, unless you are dishonest or ignorant of the facts, it can't be done. I will respond to your verses within 24/48 hrs,

shmogie

I agree and am glad that the US is not a Christian theocracy. However, the majority of people in the US identify as Christian. The vast majority of political leaders in the US identify as Christian. So why is a country that is full of Christians the biggest warmonger in the world for the past five decades?
The US isn't a warmongering nation, that is utter nonsense. Korea, a response to an unprovoked attack upon an ally which we pledged to defend. VN, infiltration into SVN by NVA forces violating a border of an ally, Afghanistan, refusal to turn over bin laden after an ultimatum to do so. Iraq 1, invasion of Kuwait, an ally, Iraq 2 failure to adhere to cease fire agreement from Iraq 1, 22 UN resolutions ignored for inspection of nuclear facilities, removal of camera's mandated inside nuclear facilities, refusal to allow inspections mandated in other area's. Used chemical weapons against the Kurds, given ultimatum to comply, refused, goodbye saddam

shmogie

First, I trust no journalistic sources. A war has been declared upon us and we have the right of self defense. al qaeda and isis are the enemy and we have the right to destroy them. Any civilian casualty is horrendous, but in war they occur. Look at what the entities we are fighting do, then imagine what they would do if they were unchecked, more genocide than they have already wrought.

Notanumber

A Free Man
I have just been listening to Nick Ferrari on LBC radio and they were discussing the latest Parris attack.

Someone phoned in and told Nick that they should stop blaming ISIS for radicalising these terrorists when in reality they are following Islamic ideology and the teachings of Muhammad.

Nick would not listen to any of it and when the caller told him to read the Quran Nick started to build straw men by deflecting the argument towards the likes of Jimmy Saville, Dr Harold Shipman and Peter Sutcliffe.

Nick is obviously a clever person but the point is he failed to grasp that all these straw men were not religiously following an ideology based on scripture or perhaps he just did not want to admit that that is the case.

A while back on the same radio station someone phoned in and said that one of the killers of Lee Rigby was a nice guy.

Many people do not like Katie Hopkins but she is not afraid to call a spade a spade.

Last edited: