• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religion is slavery

The Transcended Omniverse

Religion, in my opinion, imposes upon the rights and freedom of the individual since the individual who believes in his/her religion is expected to obey, serve, and dedicate his/her life to his/her god or religious figure. Religion threatens hell or some other distressing afterlife for those who do not do so.

If you are going to have a religion, then at least have it like a democracy which supports the freedom and rights of the individual and does not punish or condemn them for living the way of life they want and value. However, harming and torturing others wouldn't be allowed. But you would be free to live your own way of life as long as you are not cruel and harming/torturing others.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Religion, in my opinion, imposes upon the rights and freedom of the individual since the individual who believes in his/her religion is expected to obey, serve, and dedicate his/her life to his/her god or religious figure. Religion threatens hell or some other distressing afterlife for those who do not do so.

If you are going to have a religion, then at least have it like a democracy which supports the freedom and rights of the individual and does not punish or condemn them for living the way of life they want and value. However, harming and torturing others wouldn't be allowed. But you would be free to live your own way of life as long as you are not cruel and harming/torturing others.

Sooo the Left Hand Path?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I have observed, over the years, that the practitioners of the religion of anti-religion adhere to many of the same behaviours they so blatantly despise, yet are unable to look in a mirror long enough to recognise it in themselves.

However, it is a free democratic society, and each is welcome to his/her view, whether liberal, orthodox, calming, upsetting, angry, sensitive, etc.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
While I agree that for some people their religion seems to be a form of slavery that binds their mind, heart, and spirit, I think that for many others -- perhaps for most people -- their religion is something much beyond that. For instance, for some folks it seems to be more like a map or set of guidelines to a better life as they see it; for others, a bond to a community of coreligionists, and for others, still other things. To paint all religion as slavery seems a gross over-generalization that fails to take into account how many different things their religion is to different people. One might expect, however, that with several billion religious people on the planet, there might be a wee bit of diversity in the matter.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member

Religion is failing today because it fails to unite. We want to live in a world where everyone gets along and accepts our diversity as a thing of beauty.

The problem is each religion seeks to dominate the world with its own agenda and this creates conflict and wars. Muslim nations do not want to be controlled by Christian nations just like the western people don't want Islamic laws to run their societies.

So what is the solution? A loosely formed federation of nations based upon some form of multiculturalism? A commonwealth of nations?

Don't forget that one of the greatest nations on earth sprung out of a vicious civil war where human rights eventually won.

Could the world be going through its own 'American civil war' but on a world scale to eventually emerge as a 'Unity of Nations'? It's very possible considering its already happened before on a national level.

True, it's much more complex this time involving not only cultural and religious differences but language differences. Could not this prompt the search for an Auxilliary world language?

Religion can be a massive uniting power for good and if religionists use it to unite, the world can very easily become a place of harmony, prosperity and peace. But if religion is used for dominance, power and control only then its better in the trash bin.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Could the world be going through its own 'American civil war' but on a world scale to eventually emerge as a 'Unity of Nations'? It's very possible considering its already happened before on a national level.

Interesting question. Since the 1200s, political sovereignty has followed upon the heels of economic unity in the West. Should that trend continue, one might expect economic globalization to eventually lead to some form of world government -- religion or no religion.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Interesting question. Since the 1200s, political sovereignty has followed upon the heels of economic unity in the West. Should that trend continue, one might expect economic globalization to eventually lead to some form of world government -- religion or no religion.

I'm wondering if Peace will only become important if our survival is threatened because it took WW1 to get a League of Nations and WW2 to get the UN. We tend not to come to the table voluntarily but dragged kicking and screaming or after millions of dead.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I'm wondering if Peace will only become important if our survival is threatened because it took WW1 to get a League of Nations and WW2 to get the UN. We tend not to come to the table voluntarily but dragged kicking and screaming or after millions of dead.

So very true.

Milton Platt

Living the life each individual wants and values is Humanism. Religion is not generally compatible.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
So very true.

I believe as people we can take our world back if we really want to by promoting and fostering universal friendship and tolerance toward all people, races, nations and religions.

We can do it through art, music, talks, in forums or just by our example of welcoming all as equals.

Milton Platt

I think religion can be defined as the expression of one's philosophical views.

The two are not the same. That is why we use two different words to indicate them in a sentence.
Obviously religion can influence our philosophy and visa versa.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Religion does not do anything. People do.

A lot of Dominican Catholics are strict with rules and even (one) told me the devil made me sin and I'd go to hell because of it.

Baptist tend to say I am not saved unless I am born again.

Meanwhile, Presbyterians welcomed me in their church with open arms the first day and they did the ol' fashion thing of eating after service. Very nice memory lane there.

UUs used to be part of the christian church and they have their own doctrines (though they dont like to say it) but welcome diversity and multi-expression even though they believe in an intelligent power they just don't define it as god.

Yet

The Dominican Catholic told me I would go to hell and the Roman Catholic yelled at me for asking him is he okay when I was in confession.

It was the non denominational (charismatic baptist, assuming) people who held me down thinkin they were getting the holy spirit from me and handing me the bible as if without it, Im not saved.

The religion of Christianity, Roman Catholicism, is a beautiful religion. To live the religion without letting the people influence how you view religion is the key to get out of that bias of what religions do as if religion can walk on two feet and take a knife to someone's head.

Name something that religion has done that had nothing to do with the people who believed in it?

I think a change of perspective can help. That and a punching bag.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
My point: Stop convicting and blaming the gun. We don't send guns to jail but people who use it illegally. Pet peeve.

Continue

Last edited:

allfoak

Alchemist
The two are not the same. That is why we use two different words to indicate them in a sentence.
Obviously religion can influence our philosophy and visa versa.
I think your view of religion and philosophy may be too narrow.
Philosophy has no purpose without expression and religion is the love of wisdom in expression .

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
Karl Marx beat you silly on this topic back in 1848 or so.
But then he DID spur a great revolution.
It ultimately failed at a cost of millions of lives so I suggest you find another dead horse to beat.
Just sayin'.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
My point: Stop convicting and blaming the gun. We don't send guns to jail but people who use it illegally. Pet peeve.

Continue

Now THAT makes perfect sense!

BAN GUNS! Oh, that don't work none too good now does it?

Oh, I GOT IT!
BAN BULLETS!
That's it; ban the stinkin' bullets. It ain't the gun what kills ya it's the HOLE!

Oh, the politicians DID try that a couple times also.
That didn't work either.

Well I was a cop for over 2 decades and never ONCE...NOT ONCE..
arrested a bullet for anything!
I DID arrest a whole lotta people however and I'm here and alive to
attest that once in prison those suka's never stepped outa line
even a little bit!

Funny how that seems to work isn't it?
I NEVER ONCE HURT ANOTHER HUMAN ..................................

THAT WASN'T HURTING ME. THEN ALL RULES WENT DOWN
THE DRAIN.
Trust me on that.
3 concussions, back broken 4 times, both hands broken,......................
awwwww you get it don't cha?
Guess I'm just an ol' hard arse ain't I?
Now lest you think police work is about beating up bad guys I might
one day write about my commendations for SAVING LIVES!

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Now THAT makes perfect sense!

BAN GUNS! Oh, that don't work none too good now does it?

Oh, I GOT IT!
BAN BULLETS!
That's it; ban the stinkin' bullets. It ain't the gun what kills ya it's the HOLE!

Oh, the politicians DID try that a couple times also.
That didn't work either.

Well I was a cop for over 2 decades and never ONCE...NOT ONCE..
arrested a bullet for anything!
I DID arrest a whole lotta people however and I'm here and alive to
attest that once in prison those suka's never stepped outa line
even a little bit!

Funny how that seems to work isn't it?
I NEVER ONCE HURT ANOTHER HUMAN ..................................

THAT WASN'T HURTING ME. THEN ALL RULES WENT DOWN
THE DRAIN.
Trust me on that.
3 concussions, back broken 4 times, both hands broken,......................
awwwww you get it don't cha?
Guess I'm just an ol' hard arse ain't I?
Now lest you think police work is about beating up bad guys I might
one day write about my commendations for SAVING LIVES!

I can't understand if you're sarcastic or not because of the large and small print mixed. Messes my eyes.

People use guns for riffling and target practice as a sport. People use knifes to cut ham and spread butter. People use whips to drive a horse. A lot of what's in ammunition, nuclear weapons, etc go well with a good unhealthy meals of our kitchen cabinet.

Years ago, I think twelve, we had ice cream trucks (surprised to see them once in a blue moon!). My brother and I used to run up and get chewin' gum cigarettes.

Now, if we are to have guns, religion, and cigarettes it would be nice that parents teach us that guns are used for A, have a healthy religion to promote self growth and well-being, and chuck the chewin' cigarettes as it influences us to use the real ones that is horrible for our health.

But then again, not a lot of us get proper education. I mean, my friend doesn't know about half of the illegal junk I've seen because she wasn't taught these things existed "in front of her." Things like rape and murder are kind of abstract words she sees on t.v. and movies since her parents and religion shields her from these things. While it does leave her kind of ignorant of the world at large, her family and religion does keep her safe in the skim of things.

To take out her religion, among other friends, would be like taking out the eyes of a Deaf person.

If I ever had a gun, I'd probably use it to prop by books until I get a book holder. If I had chewin cigarretes, I'd probably use it to pick up all the salt and knats splatted on my floor. If I had religion (which I do), I'd most definitely use the practices [what's defined in the dictionary] to better my well-being. If I had children, I would never indoctrinate my children with my religion.

From what I see on RF, I don't want my children to think religion is as nasty as people's experiences of them are. Or I don't want them to define religion by the raw experiences of other people.

I don't like guns for a lot of personal family reasons. I'd never hold it and never use it as a sport.

So, it depends on how you use "the weapon".

That, and every time I hear religion, I think (Hindu, Bahai, Christian, Pagan, Muslim, and Universalist Uniterian). How in the world can one who experience bad things with Christianity generalize that particular religion with religion as a whole. It's best to be more specific.

A lot of people have christian experiences on RF. Maybe get some Care Bear Cuddlies and lolly pops and talk it out together.

I don't know.

images

Last edited:

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Yes religion or most of religion in my opinion needs to grow up, and let go of their backward superstitious past, the scriptures were written by a savage race of people who only knew revengeful god, because they themselves were revengeful and expected everyone to obey their writings, they really thought a god was speaking through them.