• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religion in schools

FyreBrigidIce

Returning Noob
I am in agreement that learning about religion in school should include all religions. I beleive that this is the only way for anyone to make an informed decision on which religious path they choose to follow or to follow none at all.

I also agree that it should be a choice not a requirement for graduation.

FBI

I didn't mean just a biblical class i worded it wrong i ment a calss that talks about all religion sorry my bad and the morning pray thing could be for every religion but i am focising on right now trying to get a moment of silence at my high school that way everyone could say a little something to god to help there day and for the kids who do not belive in any god the athiest kids can just take a breather but thank you. You have all been a big help on my paper!

Scorn

Jess, why would it be important to have morning prayer at school. Is it not something one could do at home prior to school? Is the value not the same? As for teaching it in school I'm with everyone that proposed comparative study classes and make it an elective subject. School should inspire us in as many subjects as possible. That should include all religion, or as many as reasonably possible.

Master Vigil

I never understood the "moment of silence" deal. I mean, I remember being in school, alot of teachers didn't even allow talking in homeroom. That was a long moment of silence. I don't think the school should set aside a moment of silence. If the student is truely in need of a time like that. They will find time.

Its very inportant to me to have god with me in school i really would rather other kids getting involded it would be nice to get kids into this sort of stuff

Master Vigil

That is of course your opinion jess, but others may not feel that way. And we can't go forcing our opinions on others now can we.

Saw11_2000

Some people just don't want to get involved with god, like me. It's fine that there is a "moment of silence" because everyone is happy, you can use it to pray, and people like me can use it to alleviate my headache. :)

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
As a devoutly religious person, I can honestly say after a lot of thought on the subject that religion should only be taught in the classroom as a history class on the history of religion. But, as far as the particular beliefs, prophets, writtings, saviors, etc. I think it best to let parents teach their children these things. Teachers have a way of giving their classes their own personal views as fact, and I just think it would be good to stay away from that.

As far as kids public excercising there religious beliefs outside of the classroom, I wouldn't see any problem with that as long as it doesn't interfere with other children learning.

Saw11_2000

I don't even mind if kids discuss their religious beliefs in the classroom. If they want to pray in class, I also have no problem with that. I just don't think teachers and stuff should talk about their opinions with religion, or discuss their beliefs. When discussing the principles of certain religions the teacher should remain religiously neutral and refer to the religion by the name of its followers or "them and they" rather than say we believe...blah.

Scorn

I understand how important it is to you Jess. But I think then, the motive has to be clearly defined. Is the moment of silence designed to allow students of faith an opportunity to pray. Or is it designed to allow all students an opportunity to be silent and think as they will? This is where I think it becomes a problem. And motives are in question. We should not say this is the time to pray and the rest of you athiests do what ever you want. What we should say is here's a moment of silence, all of you think about whatever you like. Sorta like Saw said, sorta.:)

Doc

Space Chief
I would have no problem with religion in a public school providing all religions were covered. If it were only limited to Christianity, Judaism, and Islam, then that would be putting those religions higher than the numerous Eastern Religions like Buddhism or Hinduism and many others.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
jesusfreakjess said:
Its very inportant to me to have god with me in school i really would rather other kids getting involded it would be nice to get kids into this sort of stuff
As Master Vigil said, that is your opinion and I do respect it.

It is very important to me to have everyone involved in my goddess, too, though. (I'm okay with people just learning about her, they don't have to worship her.) If your version of Diety is welcome, why not welcome all versions? You might learn a lot more about each other.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Thanks for asking, Jess! That's very kind of you, and wonderful that you're willing to hear about other religions. I'll be PMing you with some information, so we don't flood this thread, but I really appreciate your interest!

linwood

FeathersinHair said:
Thanks for asking, Jess! That's very kind of you, and wonderful that you're willing to hear about other religions. I'll be PMing you with some information, so we don't flood this thread, but I really appreciate your interest!
Actually Feathers I wish you`d start a thread about your beliefs or if one already exists somehwere point me to it.

I`d like to know something of what makes the most tolerant person on the board tick.

:)