• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religion as a Biological Necessity?

slave2six

Substitious
Humans have a great capacity for self delusion. Whether we are talking about unrequited love, refusing to accept that a loved one has passed away, or even phantom pain in a limb that has been amputated, it seems that the harsher the reality of a situation, that is the more glaring the reality, the greater our ability to live in denial and simply refuse to accept it. I wonder if this is a biological phenomenon. I don't really know.

All takers are invited to respond but I am mostly interested in comments from non-theists:

Do you think that religion is possibly a form of self-preservation and is therefore as biologically ingrained in us as phantom limb syndrome is for amputees?

Do you think there is any real chance that as a species we will ever reach a point where we simply accept reality and order our lives by the finite confines of our existence?

Herr Heinrich

Student of Mythology
Well I know that the man who found the "gay gene" also found what he thinks is the "god gene". Basically humans are predisposed to believing in a higher spiritual power. Who knows if this is true. However it is obvious we seem to always create a higher power in our minds at some point. This is only helped along by the fact that we are many times born into families who believe in a higher power.

slave2six

Substitious
Well I know that the man who found the "gay gene" also found what he thinks is the "god gene". Basically humans are predisposed to believing in a higher spiritual power. Who knows if this is true. However it is obvious we seem to always create a higher power in our minds at some point. This is only helped along by the fact that we are many times born into families who believe in a higher power.
But considering the staggering amount of data and evidence that opposes religious views and also considering people's great capacity to ignore pretty much anything that might alter their religious views, is this a manifestation of something that is biologically connected to our ability to reason? (matter-antimatter / reason-antireason?)

Smoke

Done here.
I still think "We The Robots" explains religion as well anything. However, even if we have a predisposition to religion, it doesn't mean religion can't evolve into something better and more rational.

IntroCh2.jpg

linwood

I still think "We The Robots" explains religion as well anything. However, even if we have a predisposition to religion, it doesn't mean religion can't evolve into something better and more rational.

IntroCh2.jpg

I love this cartoon...I really, really love this cartoon.

Where`d you get it Smoke?

Edit:

Nevermind, I just noticed the URL on the image when the tears cleared my eyes.