• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religion and exclusion

Matthew78

aspiring biblical scholar
I was reading one book by a Christian author who sought to defend Christianity against charges of elitism. The author, interviewing a Christian scholar, got the reply that Christianity is exclusive but, then, many other religions are exclusive, too. So any critics who bring this charge against Christianity are missing the boat. I have given this some thought and I came to realize that many religions might have varying levels of exclusivity but I wanted to ask people of different faiths about the problem of exclusion.

To understand the problem, some people take offense at the suggestion that Jesus is "the Truth, the Way, and the Life" and that "no one comes to the Father except through" him. They argue that this is very arrogant, very exclusive, and very elitist. Why should Jesus be the only way to God? Why not have many different paths that all lead to God and that are all equally valid? However, the Christian author being interviewed argued that almost all religions are exclusive.

This is why I wanted the input of forum members. Is your religion exclusive?

I thought about Islam. Does Islam permit Jews and Christians to go to heaven?

I thought about Buddhism. Is the Eightfold Way the only way to achieve enlightenment?

I thought about Judaism. Is Judaism exclusive in any way?

There are other religions out there that I am, frankly, rather ignorant about so I thought about asking others. So, is your religion exclusive? If yes, how so?

Skwim

Veteran Member
As an agnostic I can't directly respond to your request, but do have some insight into the phenomenon. Looked at coldly, exclusivity is an important marketing tool,
images

which every good merchandiser is aware of, including those promoting religions. Thus, it would be surprising if a religion did not claim exclusivity. Short of any demonstrable evidence, it's probably the best means of turning people away from all other products and toward your own.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I think it hangs on how one understands exclusivity. Buddhism is not presented as the only 'way', but if one finds one does not accept the basis premises (whatever they may be) then one is voluntarily excluding oneself by rejecting the teaching on offer. Buddhism is there to be used, we would all have our unique take and use of it. 84,000 doors as it is said... You test it yourself, you accept or reject.

I have sat zazen with quakers; it mustn't have seemed exclusive I imagine?

(And I have read of people of other faiths (specifically Jews and Christians) melding aspects of their faith with aspects of the dhamma).

Last edited by a moderator:

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
Magog already pointed out the basic view of Buddhism. Buddhism is not very exclusive, although there are a few schools that are. But like Magog pointed out, the Buddha taught that there would be 84,000 different dharma doors, and this, to me, would include other religions. The most basic point of the teaching of the Buddha is morality, not belief. As long as one acts in an ethical way, then one can be headed toward enlightenment. However, I will say this: while any religion can lead one to enlightenment, I believe the Eightfold Path is the surest way.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I thought about Islam. Does Islam permit Jews and Christians to go to heaven?

The truthful religion is for everybody.
I quote here from Quran:

[2:63] Surely, the Believers, and the Jews, and the Christians and the Sabians — whichever party from among these truly believes in Allah and the Last Day and does good deeds — shall have their reward with their Lord, and no fear shall come upon them, nor shall they grieve. The Holy Quran Arabic text with Translation in English text and Search Engine - Al Islam Online

So whoever believes and does good work could go to heaven, in my opinion

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Hinduism, in theory, would be open to all. But in practice, because it is so difficult to follow the many guidelines (vegetarianism, anyone?) people exclude themselves from it. Many schools have some other pretty strict guidelines.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Anyone can be a Christian, despite what's always being said to the contrary. I guess people don't like to since you actually have to give up certain stuff to practice it (repenting from sin and all that). As for being saved and "going to heaven", I haven't the slightest idea- some people read the scriptures as if only Christians get afterlife, but not everyone in my faith believes that. I know that some scriptures can be interpreted that way- but there is always more than one way to take a statement.

arthra

Baha'i
Most religions have aspects that are universal and some aspects that are exclusive...

In my Faith we will accept anyone who recognizes Baha'u'llah..They also in doing that accept the Bab, Prophet Muhammad, Jesus Christ, BUddha, Moses, Zoroaster and Krishna...

For a Baha'i there are laws and ordinances that apply... They apply only to Baha'is.

BruceDLimber

While Art is correct, in fact the Baha'i Faith is accepting of almost EVERY religion, as this quote shows:

"There can be no doubt whatever that the peoples of the world, of whatever race or religion, derive their inspiration from one heavenly Source, and are the subjects of one God. The difference between the ordinances under which they abide should be attributed to the varying requirements and exigencies of the age in which they were revealed. All of them, except a few which are the outcome of human perversity, were ordained of God, and are a reflection of His Will and Purpose. Arise and, armed with the power of faith, shatter to pieces the gods of your vain imaginings, the sowers of dissension amongst you. Cleave unto that which draweth you together and uniteth you."

—(The Proclamation of Baha'u'llah, p. 114;
also Gleanings, CXI, pp. 217-8)

Peace, :)

Bruce