• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

relationships in your head

robtex

Veteran Member
I was wondering, how many of you have relationships inside of your head? What I mean is you see someone you like, but don't ever approach them, do to perhaps circumstance or shyness but in your head "pretend" or imagine being together? If you do this how often and elaborate is it? If you did approach them did it work out like the dream in your head? :flower:

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
It seems like a million years ago:p, but there was this girl in the very first class I had in high school. She seemed as beautiful as an :162: , and I imagined how happy we could be together. I'm a nerd these days, but back then, I was a BAD nerd and was TERRIFIED of pretty girls. We had 4 out of 6 classes together plus homeroom for 10 minutes each day, so I saw her all day long.:hearts:

When we were assigned to work in the same group on an English class project, I was thinking "Here's my BIG chance." Once I got to see up close how poorly she treated other people, particularly those who weren't as 'pretty' or 'popular' as she was, the dream went away.

Through the rest of high school, I was always cordial towards her, but she barely gave me the time of day. Truth be told, I'd completely forgotten about it until I came across this thread. The mind is a funny thing like that.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
robtex said:
I was wondering, how many of you have relationships inside of your head? What I mean is you see someone you like, but don't ever approach them, do to perhaps circumstance or shyness but in your head "pretend" or imagine being together? If you do this how often and elaborate is it? If you did approach them did it work out like the dream in your head? :flower:

Sure I did, when I was a late teenager. I had been in a boys only boarding school and home was in the country, where there were no children with which to play.

I remember seeing a girl on the long bus ride to chool in the morning, and I thought she was beautiful....but, of course, I never had the courage to say anything to her; she was in a group of girls, and I guess I was the butt of their jokes. It was nobody's fault. Just circumstance. It took me a long time to pluck up courage to even talk to a girl, after that.

evearael

I've daydreamed, I've imagined, but I've never pretended. I've definitely plotted, though, and I have an amazing marriage to show for it! (Of course, my husband was actually in the process of out-plotting me for the same purpose...)

Atheist_Dave

*Foxy Lady*
I not only imagine other people, what we would be like together etc, i also have a very close relationship with a guy inside me called Dave, we talk a lot about things, he answers me... maybe I should go to a shrink... Seriously though, I have always had a very active mind. Its easier to make the relationships in your head than to approach the person anyway :p

Bishka

Veteran Member
I did that until I reached college, and then made myself snap out of it. I never had a relationship with any guy until I came here. I stopped pretending. I met my husband, and well....the rest is history.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
robtex said:

In high school...my "pretend" relationship was with Brady Anderson, a man fifteen years my senior, who I had never met and never will meet personally.
How elaborate was it? We were married with two kids.:biglaugh:

Actually, I'm serious. I had it all mapped out in my fifteen year old head. Cars...apartment...the works...

My childhood best friend and I used to talk about our make believe lives as wives to hot baseball players. As lame as it sounds (and/or crazy)...it was an enjoyable past time...sit around and talk about life scenarios that will never happen.

For two misfit teenagers, there was almost a security and safety feature to those daydreams and fantasies.

In a wierd way...the creative world inside my head motivated me and kept me sane when my self esteem wasn't as it probably should have been. Helped me to see beyond the mundane of my boring teenage existence and to cling at least partially to the "Well...you never know...it COULD happen. Nothing is impossible" philosophy.

I can honestly say, that I've never been one to really fantasize or play out relationships in my mind with people that I actually know. I guess that makes me super strange.:eek:

I've always been pretty straight forward when it comes to sharing my feelings with people in "real life". Sometimes this was a good thing...sometimes this wasn't such a good thing.

My husband and I wouldn't be together if I hadn't acted upon my hunch that he was someone special. :)

Admittedly, I still daydream...

Hope

Princesinha
My imagination has always been an outlet for me, a way to escape reality when it's harsh, so, yes, I'd daydream all the time about certain guys. But I wouldn't just daydream about real guys....I'd make up love stories with fictional characters in my head, and often write the stories down. These people I created would become very real to me. The characters in one story I wrote became my favorites and incredibly real to me, and daydreaming about them, and different details to their story, would keep me entertained for hours.

It seems sad and pathetic now to admit all this ( I'm not crazy! )(), but it was a lot of fun, and I miss those days when my imagination was alive and kicking.