• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reincarnation

syo

Simple. It just doesn't seem plausible to them. Could just be they already have beliefs that aren't compatible with reincarnation. They likely don't know what it is or means, as well.
Beliefs could be anything.

Ella S.

*temp banned*
I will believe in reincarnation when there is good evidence for it. That's not me being dismissive, either. I've been following along with parapsychological research on the topic for years now in case it ever manages to go anywhere.

Currently, they're a long way off. There's a lot of methodological issues with the studies and we have yet to see relevant, statistically significant data, although the research on the subject is still being done.

I don't think it will go anywhere because I think we've well-established that our mind and our consciousness is merely an abstraction of certain neural activities, and so I see no possible mechanism for consciousness or memory surviving death, much less migrating to a new body. If we do demonstrate that reincarnation is likely to exist, it could upturn everything we think we know about neuroscience and physics.

Viker

Häxan
Beliefs could be anything.
If someone believes we're born this once and that either we're accountable for this one life before a final authority or if they believe nothing happens after this life, then it's incompatible.

I'm not getting at wether reincarnation is truthful or not, myself.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
The paper reincarnates to ashes. Our bodies reincarnate to dust. :)
Are we using reincarnate to mean the same thing?

"Paper is mostly cellulose strands since it is made from wood or cotton most of the time. Cellulose is a long polymer of glucose, a sugar, that is composed of carbon, oxygen and hydrogen. The exothermic chemical reaction, fire, releases the carbon in up to three forms: elemental carbon, carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide. Meanwhile, the hydrogen combines with any available alcohol group (OH) from the sugar to form water (dihydro-monoxide), a very stable compound. Of course, this perfect picture is complicated by any print or colored inks on that paper which may contain sulfur and by the nitrogen-rich medium in which the chemical reactions happen: air. Here stable nitrogen-oxygen and to a lesser extent nitrogen-hydrogen compounds of nitrogen oxide(NO2 and NO) and ammonia(NH4) respectively may form"

... is not usually referred to as reincarnation.

- What happens to paper when it burns? - Answers

Viker

Häxan
Maybe some conflate reincarnation with jumping from one life to another at death. It could be we're broken down over time and the elements that were us are redistributed into other things (from star stuff back to star stuff), even possibly to contribute to another life form one day. That makes sense and even flirts with rational materialism.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Maybe some conflate reincarnation with jumping from one life to another at death. It could be we're broken down over time and the elements that were us are redistributed into other things (from star stuff back to star stuff), even possibly to contribute to another life form one day. That makes sense and even flirts with rational materialism.
As I think @ChristineM pointed out, the universe is one big recycling machine. It's eco-friendly!