• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reincarnation/Past Lives

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Sure I understand, I guess my point is that the truth or no of reincarnation will never be proven by personal claims.

ajay0

Apart from the criminal aspect of the case, how do you know Veronica Borode's claim about knowing about her past life is false?

Where is the 'possible evidence' for it !

It is just a vague article highlighting someone kidnapping someone thinking the other to be a partner in a past life.
If Veronica Borode had given tangible evidences of some sort of a past life connection as mentioned in the other posts, it would have evoked interest of some sort. There was nothing in it.

This seems more of a post put to disparage claims of reincarnation over here. It is unfortunate that this thread put to study case examples and possible evidences with respect to reincarnation, is being derailed in this regard.

If you want, you can put posts of such sort in an another thread exclusively for that purpose, and I will find no issue in it.

Hope the moderators would look into this and ensure there is no more derailing of the thread, and all such posts to the contrary are removed promptly. This will ensure no conflicts or debates are created over here.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Where is the 'possible evidence' for it !

It is just a vague article highlighting someone kidnapping someone thinking the other to be a partner in a past life.
If Veronica Borode had given tangible evidences of some sort of a past life connection as mentioned in the other posts, it would have evoked interest of some sort. There was nothing in it.

This seems more of a post put to disparage claims of reincarnation over here. It is unfortunate that this thread put to study case examples and possible evidences with respect to reincarnation, is being derailed in this regard.

If you want, you can put posts of such sort in an another thread exclusively for that purpose, and I will find no issue in it.

Hope the moderators would look into this and ensure there is no more derailing of the thread, and all such posts to the contrary are removed promptly. This will ensure no conflicts or debates are created over here.
I would suppose Veronica does have a story about her past life connections, but since the article focuses on her criminal act, the journalist/s involved apparently were not interested to inform us the details. Of course it is possible she was driven purely by criminal intentions and made up the reincarnation story as a cover. My point is that any memory of past reincarnations remains a subjective experience, and can't be verified by another, you are left to believe, not believe, or be agnostic. For instance, I have no doubt about the truth of reincarnation, but I may be agnostic about peoples claims of their memories of their previous lives.

ajay0

A pdf book of Dr. Brian Weiss's bestselling book, Many Lives, Many Masters: The True Story of a Prominent Psychiatrist, His Young Patient, and the Past-Life Therapy That Changed Both Their Lives.

http://mindguruindia.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/MP056_many-lives-many-masters-brian-weiss.pdf

Dr. Brian Weiss is a western psychiatrist, traditional psychotherapist and author who have written books on past life regression using insightful case studies of his patients, which have become bestsellers. Dr. Weiss claims he has regressed more than 4,000 patients since 1980. Weiss advocates hypnotic regression as therapy, claiming that many phobias and ailments are rooted in past-life experiences whose acknowledgment by the patient can have a curative effect.

'Many lives, many masters' was Weiss's first book which catapulted him to fame worldwide. It narrated the case study of his patient 'Catherine' , who began discussing under hypnosis past life experiences , which seemed to exert influence on her present life experiences, judgements, relationships and even psychological illnesses.

A graduate of Columbia University and Yale Medical School, Brian L. Weiss M.D. is Chairman Emeritus of Psychiatry at the Mount Sinai Medical Center in Miami.

Brian L. Weiss, MD

ajay0

Last edited:

ajay0

ajay0

A book of Dr. Ian Stevenson,M.D.,' Twenty Cases Suggestive of Reincarnation ' in pdf format....

http://www.futureofmankind.co.uk/w/images/1/1b/Twenty_Cases_Suggestive_of_Reincarnation.pdf

Dr. Ian Stevenson was a Canadian-born U.S. psychiatrist. He worked for the University of Virginia School of Medicine, for fifty years, as chair of the department of psychiatry from 1957 to 1967, Carlson Professor of Psychiatry from 1967 to 2001, and Research Professor of Psychiatry from 2002 until his death.

Dr. Ian Stevenson's Reincarnation Research

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
A book of Dr. Ian Stevenson,M.D.,' Twenty Cases Suggestive of Reincarnation ' in pdf format....

http://www.futureofmankind.co.uk/w/images/1/1b/Twenty_Cases_Suggestive_of_Reincarnation.pdf

Dr. Ian Stevenson was a Canadian-born U.S. psychiatrist. He worked for the University of Virginia School of Medicine, for fifty years, as chair of the department of psychiatry from 1957 to 1967, Carlson Professor of Psychiatry from 1967 to 2001, and Research Professor of Psychiatry from 2002 until his death.

Dr. Ian Stevenson's Reincarnation Research

When you're already convinced something is baloney, no amount of experts or books would move you to even think about it, let along pick up a book and actually read about it.

ajay0

When you're already convinced something is baloney, no amount of experts or books would move you to even think about it, let along pick up a book and actually read about it.

As a teenager, I was also once convinced it was baloney.

However, this thread is for, "easy to read book(s) presenting case examples and possible evidence?" as mentioned in the op.

If you want to discuss about reincarnation, you can do it in an another thread so that the present thread will not be derailed.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Sure I understand, I guess my point is that the truth or no of reincarnation will never be proven by personal claims.
I don't think it ever will. It's an existence where once the intellect dies, it's forever gone.

Awareness/consciousness however seems to be something that can be snuffed out and 're-lit' as evidenced by our own birth, minus any past recollections of course that may have transpired prior.

Intellectually we will never know for sure one way or another.

ajay0

I don't think it ever will. It's an existence where once the intellect dies, it's forever gone.

Awareness/consciousness however seems to be something that can be snuffed out and 're-lit' as evidenced by our own birth, minus any past recollections of course that may have transpired prior.

There are techniques in ancient eastern psychology which have enabled individuals to shed light on the subject. Many adept in meditation have also stated that they had uncovered past lives.

In Buddhism, the Buddha is seen to be knowledgeable about his past lives.In Jainism, Jati smaran is a technique used to remember past lives.

A similar thing is happening in contemporary western psychology as shown by the works of Dr.Brian Weiss and Dr. Michael Newton.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
hhe

"Awareness/consciousness however seems to be something that can be snuffed out and 're-lit' as evidenced by our own birth, minus any past recollections of course that may have transpired prior."

That is what I understood the concept reincarnation to mean. And perhaps the potential is there in such a cosmic process for such awareness to evolve and thus ultimately transcend human limited time based consciousness.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
"Awareness/consciousness however seems to be something that can be snuffed out and 're-lit' as evidenced by our own birth, minus any past recollections of course that may have transpired prior."

That is what I understood the concept reincarnation to mean. And perhaps the potential is there in such a cosmic process for such awareness to evolve and thus ultimately transcend human limited time based consciousness.
I find it's part of teachings in regards to rebirth but even rebirth, of which I myself am privy to, isn't recognized in Buddhism. It's because in essence there really is no actual life and death or reincarnation or rebirth to speak of because nothing is really considered destroyed or absent.

It's why the candle analogy is so fitting and even the burning of incense to signify interrelationships and impermanence as it applies with emptiness. One of my favorite koans to meditate on is original face or just ringing a bell.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Yes, it is ultimately beyond words, and thus really beyond conveying to another if one has realized the goal. So I am all about the practice of stilling the mind as you know well from our past exchanges. Nevertheless I do utilize various aids from anywhere if I find they are of practical help in stilling the mind. I am not intending to promote this video or the so called channel, but fwiw if you would take the time, check it out. Incidentally, I use earphones and close my eyes, so I don't actually watch the video, I am always open to try aids at times at times when I become aware I am wasting my time on non-essential mundane activities.

ajay0

Author Michael Talbot's book 'Your Past Lives' sheds light on reincarnation experiences and past life hypnotic regressions, giving valuable psychological insights into the nature of the human mind and psyche, and how past life experiences affect one's present life experiences, tendencies and inclinations.

YOUR PAST LIVES