• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reincarnation and Random Infatuation

I know, that's an odd title, but bear with me here. The following presumes that reincarnation is true, so if the reader doesn't believe in reincarnation, that's fine, but the context is based on it being a thing (which I currently believe it is).

So anyway... Lately I've been wondering about the whole business of falling in love with -- or crushing on / being infatuated with -- someone one has never met. My question is, what’s really going on with that?

Call it a crush, infatuation, or something deeper, I’ve read that it’s simply the limbic part of the brain reacting in a way that ensures the perpetuation of the species, the goal being the uniting of two people resulting in offspring.

While I can see that being the case for standard-issue attraction, the more I think about it, the more I have to wonder if the stronger, all-consuming, world-rocking feelings are in the same category, let alone even necessary for mere species-perpetuation to happen. One can be attracted to someone enough to want to have relations with them without needing to be head-over-heels in love with them to accomplish this.

So I've been overthinking wondering what else is going on that brings about such strong emotions towards some people, specifically those one hasn't met?

My theory (which is contingent upon the concept of reincarnation) is that the one having the stronger, mega-dose-sized pull towards another might have known that person in a previous life, and had a relationship with him/her that involved those stronger feelings. Those feelings might not be merely part of some evolutionary mechanism to ensure the survival of the species (at least, not each and every instance thereof), but possibly an indicator that a connection was already in place from before-and-beyond; there's a sort of recognition kicking in, there.

Couple that with some largely synchronistic events that leave one wondering if the loved-one (in this case deceased) is trying to connect (which is why I'm putting this thread in the Paranormal section), and, well, that doesn't help crumble the theory much. The question then becomes, "We never met in this life, so why me (not that I'm complaining, of course! :D)?"

Thoughts?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
As a believer in reincarnation, my sense is that relationships last life-after-life and are ever so complex. In this life, husband and wife. In other lives, wife and husband, brothers/sisters, boss/employee and so forth until we've done it all.

And yes, in some cases, that would include paranormal communications.

David T

Premium Member
I know, that's an odd title, but bear with me here. The following presumes that reincarnation is true, so if the reader doesn't believe in reincarnation, that's fine, but the context is based on it being a thing (which I currently believe it is).

So anyway... Lately I've been wondering about the whole business of falling in love with -- or crushing on / being infatuated with -- someone one has never met. My question is, what’s really going on with that?

Call it a crush, infatuation, or something deeper, I’ve read that it’s simply the limbic part of the brain reacting in a way that ensures the perpetuation of the species, the goal being the uniting of two people resulting in offspring.

While I can see that being the case for standard-issue attraction, the more I think about it, the more I have to wonder if the stronger, all-consuming, world-rocking feelings are in the same category, let alone even necessary for mere species-perpetuation to happen. One can be attracted to someone enough to want to have relations with them without needing to be head-over-heels in love with them to accomplish this.

So I've been overthinking wondering what else is going on that brings about such strong emotions towards some people, specifically those one hasn't met?

My theory (which is contingent upon the concept of reincarnation) is that the one having the stronger, mega-dose-sized pull towards another might have known that person in a previous life, and had a relationship with him/her that involved those stronger feelings. Those feelings might not be merely part of some evolutionary mechanism to ensure the survival of the species (at least, not each and every instance thereof), but possibly an indicator that a connection was already in place from before-and-beyond; there's a sort of recognition kicking in, there.

Couple that with some largely synchronistic events that leave one wondering if the loved-one (in this case deceased) is trying to connect (which is why I'm putting this thread in the Paranormal section), and, well, that doesn't help crumble the theory much. The question then becomes, "We never met in this life, so why me (not that I'm complaining, of course! :D)?"

Thoughts?
"I’ve read that it’s simply the limbic part of the brain reacting in a way that ensures the perpetuation of the species"

Pay no attention to that idiot region of the brain that created the above quote. it doesnt realize it too is only a region of the brain and is just creating chemical reactions to ensurure the perpetuation of its own self importance and play make believe science! My daughter lacks that region and she is a rock star at least to me. And smarter than most smart people.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
falling in love with -- or crushing on / being infatuated with -- someone one has never met.

The closest I've come to this is someone I met with whom I formed not an instant attraction, but in short time, a very deep and intense attraction. It was a feeling of familiarity, that we had something in common or something that intertwined or bound us together. The oddity is that at first I thought he was an absolute jerk. lol But then it didn't take long for me to fall in love with him, and remain in love with him over 33 years later. Both of his wives, his ex- and his current wife, knew how in love I was (and still am) with him. He never seemed to pick up on it. As his current wife once said to me "you know he's lame in the brain". :D

I have a feeling that were were together in past lives either as friends or lovers. We're both married to other people, and this has never gone beyond a "bromance". That's largely because he's straight, and I would never step outside my marriage. I take my vows seriously, as do most people. There was a time, however, when he was going through a divorce and I was single that I would love to have made a move. But again, he's straight but even if he was bi-curious it was a vulnerable time for him. But there's something that tells me he is and probably was previously the one true love of my life, my marriage notwithstanding.

I do have a flair for the theatrical, but it's no hyperbole to take a quote from the movie 47 Ronin: "I will search for you through 1,000 worlds and 10,000 lifetimes until I find you." It's happened once, in this lifetime... so close to, yet so far from being together.

So yeah, I definitely believe it can happen.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Thoughts?

I have a couple of past life memories. Maybe fake memories but they seem like real experiences. Anyway as best I can describe it. They were completely different people or the memories were of being someone else. Different thoughts, different ideas, different attractions.

The only thing familiar is that of being an conscious observer. Maybe there is more to it as I only remember small bits and pieces. Of these lives.

I suspect attraction is complicated. I think many are attracted to some aspect of one parent. I suppose a lot of other things can be influencing attraction. Even though it sounds romantic, probably not necessarily the soul, spirit, consciousness. This attraction is not necessary. We don't see the soul, know the soul. A person's personality, traits come from this life. Maybe something from a past life attracts you to a person, but it's not necessarily their "soul" you/they are attracted to. Could just be a trait/characteristic just like something from this life. Maybe something reminds you about your father that's attracts you. Obviously that's not your actual Dad.

Koldo

Outstanding Member

Thoughts?

If you are correct then I had some pretty interesting past lives considering I have had strong feelings for over a dozen different women and I have yet to reach my thirties.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I don't believe in reincarnation, and I didn't believe in three of my other lives as well. Having said that, my wife swears we have been together in previous lives. Just to nit pick, what you're actually referring to is rebirth, not reincarnation. Rebirth, as I understand it, is returning without knowledge of past lives. Reincarnation, again as it was explained to me, entails an almost immediate soul transfer with all memories intact.

allfoak

Alchemist
Attraction is just that, attraction.
When a dove expends all of it's energy on every call it makes to attract a mate, it knows that the only thing that will respond is a female dove looking for a mate.
We seem to think that it is different for ourselves because we are human.
It is not.
Whatever vibes we are putting out will be picked up on by others putting out vibes that are compatible in some way.
For example, if we see ourselves as a victim, then we will attract someone to victimize us.

If we are not happy with the people that we draw to or are drawn to in our life then it is us that must change who we are in order to create different circumstance and attract different people.

allfoak

Alchemist
I don't believe in reincarnation, and I didn't believe in three of my other lives as well. Having said that, my wife swears we have been together in previous lives. Just to nit pick, what you're actually referring to is rebirth, not reincarnation. Rebirth, as I understand it, is returning without knowledge of past lives. Reincarnation, again as it was explained to me, entails an almost immediate soul transfer with all memories intact.
Souls often come back together.
Sometimes in groups.
Remember?:rolleyes:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member

Yeah, there is a nuanced difference, and for the lives of me (pun intended :p) I never got it. And then there's the fancy upscale "transmigration of souls". I just prefer a basic "oh no, not this **** again!"

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I think reincarnation is a valid concept and does in deed have a direct affect onthe vibe we may be putting out to the world.
We may not even know what that vibe is but others do.

This is why we should live our lives as best we can because it will affect our next incarnation in the reaping what you sow aspect. Also, I try to live as best I can because I have this innate fear of coming back as a pair of truck drivers underwear.