• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reconverstion in India

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I was in sales at one time, and the commandment was never talk about your opponent. Just talk about the advantages of your product. And we have a good product. In trying to defame Modi, the opposition parties talked relentlessly about Modi. I think it helped him just as it might have helped Obama.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
In Goa, the Portuguese converted the upper caste Saraswat brahmins and threatened to take away their land if they did not. In other areas, the lower castes and tribals have been converted to Christianity.

It's a great development for the collective Hindu psyche to see that it's not just lying down. I'm pleased to see that reconversion to Hinduism is taking place on this scale.

RSS will do what they need to do and will ignore the media mafia.

Also hilarious that the opposition are usingt this this as a stick to beat the govt with. Signs of truly desperate times.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Vinayaka, from your link:

"He also criticized calls for a law to ban conversions from Hinduism to other religions altogether, saying such a move would be "contrary to the rights enshrined in the constitution of the country."

"We strongly oppose the call for a national ban on conversions," the forum said. It said this amounted to "a direct attack on individuals' freedom of conscience to choose one's faith and on the freedom to profess, practice and propagate the faith of one's choice" as enshrined in India's constitution."

They know that change of faith is permissible according to Indian constitution, they want conversions to continue. But they do not want reconversions to Hinduism from Christianity and Islam. However, it will not be all that easy for Hindus. They will have to tread wisely.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
You mean reconvert. I read an article where in Amritsar, the holy city for Sikhs, Christian propaganda had been plastered everywhere ... power poles, sides of buildings, etc. What a waste of good paper. If someone just made the effort to walk around ant take it all down, maybe they'd give up.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
You mean reconvert.
Well, I do not know. They could have been Hindus before converting to Christianity like most of the Sikhs themselves. But I do not think any Hindu would mind their conversion to Sikhism. After all, Sikhism is a dharmic religion.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
Here's what that article isn't telling you:
The converts offered offering prayers before they were given religious lockets and siropas (ceremonial shawls). No major Sikh organization or functionary was present during the function ...
Some local Sikh residents questioned the organizers and the gurdwara management whether Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee (SGPC) was informed about the reconversions ...

RSS plans to hold more such events in Punjab, which could further strain ruling Shiromani Akali Dal and its ally BJP's ties in Punjab.
...re-read the highlighted portions from your link. Why are the Akaalis not being present at such events? Why and how could their ties with BJP be strained? These are the questions one should be asking. And I'll tell you why: the Akaalis are ethnolinguistically made up mostly of Jatts that practice a version of Sikhism that is extremely ethnocentric: Jatt Sikhism. And the individuals that are converting back to Sikhism, who left Sikhism in the first place because of discrimination they faced from Jatt Sikhs, are Mazhabis. And the Jatt Sikhs do not hold the Mazhabis as equals (which is, as per North Indian historicity, ironic since Jatts, themselves, are also Shudra-s; heck, all farming communities, including the community that I personally come from, are basically Shudra-s). I can bet on my life that if these were "high caste Christians from Jatt or Khatri" backgrounds, Akaalis would have been there asap.

Either way, I laud the RSS's propensity to see outside the backward peripheries of caste and acknowledge an inherent brotherhood amongst all Dharmics, regardless of their social origins. And their tendency to assist interested parties in coming back to the Dharmic faith of their choice easily illustrates the fact that they are not Hindu fanatics, as much as anti-Hindu subvertionists would want to have us believe.

Last edited:

Amrut

Aum - Advaita
@Poeticus bhai, I will re-quote an extract from my post #28

VHP does not re-convert Muslims/Christians to just Hindus, but they re-convert them to their original religion i.e. Hindu, Sikh, Jain and Bauddha dharma as these are the dharma-s of Indian Origin. So VHP and other similar orgs are not communal. They are nationalists.

ehh, btw, it is de-conversion not re-conversion ;)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Politics in Punjab:
BJP now has a nucleus of Sikh leaders to build upon. The present father-son Akali government has proved corrupt. In the parliamentary elections they could win only 4 of the 13 seats. BJP thinks that it could do better without Akali Dal and that some of the Akali Dal candidates have won only because of BJP support. However, the Assembly elections will take place only in 2017. BJP would not part with Akali Dal immediately, because the Sikh vote would be important in Delhi state elections to be held in February.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
At the moment, the biggest news in India is the BJP win in 25 (out of 87) seats in Jammu & Kashmir and its securing 23% vote (highest for any party), and the near certainty of the first-ever Hindu-Muslim government in Jammu & Kashmir, which will rule for the next six years.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
At the moment, the biggest news in India is the BJP win in 25 (out of 87) seats in Jammu & Kashmir and its securing 23% vote (highest for any party), and the near certainty of the first-ever Hindu-Muslim government in Jammu & Kashmir, which will rule for the next six years.
There is no need for BJP to compromise with PDP. It can easily take central power as long as Delhi offers its support, even though it won't be the ruling party in the Valley. I, for one, long to see the Martand Sun Temple be rebuilt.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
PDP has received 22.7% of the vote, a very close second, it currently represents the voice of the valley. It should not be ignored, just as PDP is trying not to ignore the voice of Jammu region. With PDP and BJP getting together they will have 55 + representation in a house of 87, and that augurs well for the state. BJP may give some sops to Abdullah's National Conference which has 15 in the house. BJP's old opponent is only the dynasty Congress, it has no problem with others. Why look for strife? This is politics, friend, not war. Martand and Avantiswamin temples will take time to be rebuilt, though I am hopeful.

martand-sun-temple_400_300.jpg
tourist_1369821958images%20(12).jpg

Last edited: