• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Recommended Shiva Books

TravisJC

Hello friends,

I haven't been around often, just merely coming in and out of the forums to read up on recent post and what not; however, I'm sorta back! Things have been going very well since I first started my journey with my dharma. There are lots of recourses online and offline regarding Lord Shiva but I'm looking for a book (or books) regarding a multitude of information such as creation stories, scripture, etc. I hope I'm not being too broad with my requests. Thank you all for your time.

Travis.

TravisJC

I forgot to mention that someone recommended 'Dancing with Siva' anyone read the book or heard good things about it?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I forgot to mention that someone recommended 'Dancing with Siva' anyone read the book or heard good things about it?
I read a chapter a day, every day, and have been for a very long time. The advantage, in my opinion, although some would say my opinion is incredibly biased, is that its in modern American and simple English. One does not need to wade through swamps of Sanskrit and intellectualism to get the gist of Siva worship. It also has a decent summary of all sects of Hinduism, a decent glossary of terms, and hence is a useful sourcebook.

However ... if you're looking for a scholarly tome written to debate and/pr impress other scholars, or anyone wanting that, then there are probably much longer books out there for you.

So it really depends on your approach ... are you wishing to become a bhaktar, or a scholar?

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
I liked "Shiva: The Wild God of Power and Ecstasy" by Wolf-Dieter Storl. It is much about story-telling with a little bit of psychology and with comparison to other religions. It has nicely drawn line-art. Durga is also presented inthe book. I clearly recommend it.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I read a chapter a day, every day, and have been for a very long time.

Do you go beginning to end each read through, or do you just bounce around randomly? Some books lend themselves to that.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Do you go beginning to end each read through, or do you just bounce around randomly? Some books lend themselves to that.
As formal sishya, we read the daily lesson each day, beginning April 15, Tamil New Year. Merging with Siva, and Living with Siva, each have exactly 365 daily lessons. I believe Dancing with Siva, in it's next edit (Gurudeva passed, but was always revamping things) would have followed that format. It's about 160 I think, so we just start over when we finish, and then start all over on New Year again. It helps keep the entire church membership more or less on the same wavelength, or 'on the same page'.

It's not compulsory, and I do know people who will alter it some, like bounce randomly.. or do 2 out of 3 one year, then a different 2 out of 3 the next year. The main idea is to eat a digestable amount daily so it sinks in better, not the entire thing at once. 'Today's lesson is always changed daily on-line as well, so cybercadets can stay in tune.

Its sort of nice when you can discuss it with a friend in the afternoon or evening, both knowing you read the same thing that morning. Occsionally some stuff just really sticks. Other days, not so much.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
As formal sishya, we read the daily lesson each day, beginning April 15, Tamil New Year. Merging with Siva, and Living with Siva, each have exactly 365 daily lessons.

Very cool, thanks. I’d like to form a similar discipline for myself w/ BG. I may look into the “... With Siva” books also.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
For me "The Tao of Physics" has been the Shiva story, embedded in my heart and mind. But then, I am a born Hindu. I know the stories right from the childhood, thanks to my Grandpa. And Srimad Bhagawat Purana has enough Shiva stories (not the Prabhupada's one but the Gita Press book published before my birth in 1942). I still have the copy. Read it in my childhood and refer to it (rarely) if something needs clarification (I have a downloaded version of it too). Never thought of reading Shiva Purana as I am already suffused with Shiva, our family deity. Kashmiri asssociation with Shiva is eternal.

TravisJC

I read a chapter a day, every day, and have been for a very long time. The advantage, in my opinion, although some would say my opinion is incredibly biased, is that its in modern American and simple English. One does not need to wade through swamps of Sanskrit and intellectualism to get the gist of Siva worship. It also has a decent summary of all sects of Hinduism, a decent glossary of terms, and hence is a useful sourcebook.

However ... if you're looking for a scholarly tome written to debate and/pr impress other scholars, or anyone wanting that, then there are probably much longer books out there for you.

So it really depends on your approach ... are you wishing to become a bhaktar, or a scholar?

I don't really know where I am aiming to end up so, as of right now I'm going to just order the dancing with Siva and read as I please. :)

And Srimad Bhagawat Purana has enough Shiva stories (not the Prabhupada's one but the Gita Press book published before my birth in 1942).

I'm going to look into this recommendation as well, I have plenty of reading time on my hands so I'll just get both.

atanu

Premium Member
The Vedas. Tirukkural, Tiruvasagam, Shiva Purana, Agni Purana, Linga Purana, ...... many more.

To me the whole existence is a Shiva book, brought to manifestation by Shiva's mAyA. The Self, the "I am", the breath, the cognition is Shiva.

The following may help:

Sacred Texts Of Shiva.

DeviChaaya

Jai Ambe Gauri
Premium Member
Does anyone have any opinions about either of these scriptures either?

Link 1: Siva Mahapurana - 3 volume set - Rudraksha Ratna
or
Link 2: The Linga Purana - Rudraksha Ratna

I apologize for all the questions, just trying to get help in order to start in the 'right' area. Thank you to all.

I have the Shiva Purana (I've searched, I think it's the same as the Shiva Mahapurana) from Motilal Press. The only downside of this edition is that it keeps referring to the lingam as a phallic symbol. Like... lol, no. It's not. For that reason I never get very far into reading it because there's excessive amounts of 'phallic icon' etc.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Authors put in the book what they have in their mind. But nothing wrong, that is how the world came up, lingam and yoni. ;)

TravisJC

The only downside of this edition is that it keeps referring to the lingam as a phallic symbol. Like... lol, no. It's not.

I was also find that quite annoying; however, does it affect the overall translation of the puran or no? I'll what other kind of publications I can find online.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

You don't like scholars? :cry:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
You don't like scholars? :cry:
Scholars have their place, but one of the goals of bhaktars is to focus on intuition/love of God, not circular dead end reasoning. Most scholars I have met lack bhakti. An illiterate li'l ol' lady selling flowers outside a beautiful temple is far more inspiring to me than some guy reading from a boring book in a monotone voice.

So not that I don't like scholars, just not my focus. Was Sri Ramana a scholar? Was Sri Ramakrishna?

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Scholars have their place, but one of the goals of bhaktars is to focus on intuition/love of God, not circular dead end reasoning. Most scholars I have met lack bhakti. An illiterate li'l ol' lady selling flowers outside a beautiful temple is far more inspiring to me than some guy reading from a boring book in a monotone voice.

So not that I don't like scholars, just not my focus. Was Sri Ramana a scholar? Was Sri Ramakrishna?
Was Sankaracharya a scholar? ;) Vivekananda. Sarvapalli Radhakrishnan. :)
I feel that all these billionaire babas are cropping up left and right and getting blind devotion from bhakts is because discriminating knowledge is lacking among general people about Hinduism, making it easy for charismatic charlatans to emotionally manipulate people seeking escape from harshness of life. There must be a balance, and that balance is no longer there.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Was Sankaracharya a scholar? ;) Vivekananda. Sarvapalli Radhakrishnan. :)
I feel that all these billionaire babas are cropping up left and right and getting blind devotion from bhakts is because discriminating knowledge is lacking among general people about Hinduism, making it easy for charismatic charlatans to emotionally manipulate people seeking escape from harshness of life. There must be a balance, and that balance is no longer there.
Yes they were all scholars. I've never read any of them. Being scholarly doesn't make you kinder. Billionaire babas only applies to some. You have to look at their personal living conditions. Baba Ramdev runs his multinational corporations from his tiny living space. He lives like a pauper, but provides jobs and a decent living for thousands. Much better than having the non-Indian multinationals control it to fill the greedy pockets of non-Indians so they can continue the exploitation that's been going on so long.