• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reasons for Atheism if you aren't in the DIR

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
We can't please everyone. Maybe God hates you? Maybe God ignores you? Its obviously a position one has to consider when flippantly considering the possibility of God at all. The shield of agnosticism though is usually for the purpose of fending off an imposition of theocracy of some sort. I doubt anybody wakes up one morning thinking "I'll invent a concept of monotheism, call it God and then doubt if it is relevant to myself."
If any of this were true I doubt I would want to know any such God. Given that I believe there is much to our existence that is more down to luck or bad luck without any interference from some unknown entity, and as to such, life makes more sense to me than anything otherwise.

Niatero

*banned*
I deleted this because what I said doesn't belong in a non-debate forum. I forgot what forum this thread was in! Sorry! The devil made me do it!

Last edited:

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
That would be this: +

Atheism+ :grinning:
Good one :)

Maybe there's a problem with my english understanding, but I don't think a cross consisting of just 2 lines counts as a "shape" which is a geometric figure, particularly its external form / contours / outlines, meaning that it has a surface which can be calculated.

But good one, nonetheless :tearsofjoy:

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
The definition of the word "atheist"? :shrug:

It's like saying "I'm a shape with 4 corners, no curves, all corners are 90° and all sides have the same length, but I am not a square!"
A definition created by the religious and used by the religious to label people that are not like them. I assume you realize it is a label to single out people. I do not have to recognize myself with any label.

And as to your square, it is not an independent thinking thing. It is also a strict and structured design. The definition of Atheist is vague to include all those that the religious don't understand. If you wish use such a label feel free. I am not and will not be labeled.

Kfox

Indeed, why not. Then all we have to do is define the universe, know it's qualities, determine it's origins, and understand how it relates to us (and us to it).
Definition of Universe;
All that is known to exist

Qualities?
Material and energy

Origins:
Unknown

How it relates to us?
Because we exist, we are a part of the Universe.

In the context of the above answers, why not assume the Universe to be the first cause?

Wandering Monk

Grew up fundamentalist. After having come to the conclusion that evolution is a thing, had to ditch the idea of man as a special creation. If he is not a special creation, what is the need for a god?

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
A definition created by the religious and used by the religious to label people that are not like them.

Not really.

It's what the word means: somebody who doesn't believe in god(s).

I assume you realize it is a label to single out people. I do not have to recognize myself with any label.

And as to your square, it is not an independent thinking thing. It is also a strict and structured design. The definition of Atheist is vague to include all those that the religious don't understand. If you wish use such a label feel free. I am not and will not be labeled.
It's barely even a label tbh.

It's like "assymmetrical". It's a word that applies to a shape when said shape isn't symmetrical.

But oh well

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Might depend where you are.

I see your point, but if you go in and drop "atheist' in certain locales and spaces, people make a lot of assumptions about you. This may be a positive or negative depending on who you are, and how well you fit with what's being assumed.

So while the word itself is pretty basic, people aren't. If someone doesn't want the baggage associated with such a label, I understand.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Not really.

It's what the word means: somebody who doesn't believe in god(s).

It's like "assymmetrical". It's a word that applies to a shape when said shape isn't symmetrical.

But oh well

Define God, Believe or knowledge.

My definition of Atheist is a Person who believes that some or all gods and/or some or all religions cause some or all harm to our world, otherwise why would a person label themselves as a lack of belief or knowledge. Generally, we label our beliefs and knowledge or are label by others for lack of.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
My definition of Atheist is a Person who believes that some or all gods and/or some or all religions cause some or all harm to our world

That would be anti-theism.

, otherwise why would a person label themselves as a lack of belief or knowledge.

One wouldn't. The only reason the word exist is because the majority of the world happens to hold such beliefs.
If 80% of the world were soccer players and if soccer players would consider that culturally important, then we would also have a word for people who don't play soccer.

Generally, we label our beliefs and knowledge or are label by others for lack of.
Indeed. Which is why "atheist" is such a stupid word. Which is why I said that it really barely qualifies as a "label" to begin with.

Tomef

I don't think that there is anything that anyone will ever be able to imagine, describe or define, that created the universe. I agree with the Buddha that speculating about it either way, whether or not he/she/they/it exist(s) is a useless, counterproductive and positively harmful distraction which drives people mad (in more ways than one). God says so Himself. :D

I'm not actually sure how I ended up here. Maybe because I saw myself going mad (in more ways than one) trying to find some way for it to have some meaning for me to say that an unknowable creator exists, or does not exist.
I think all the weirdness scientific investigations keep turning up will eventually resolve into something that makes sense. Eventually as in centuries from now perhaps. The idea of there being a god behind it is just a figment of our tendency to anthropomorphise, I think. We make things so from there the assumption that there must be a big powerful human-like entity that made everything else. But there’s no reason beyond our own perspective and imagination to think that is actually the case.