• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Realizing the true self through yoga! Even for atheists?

michaelm

Hema said:
This sounds just like me! :yes: I can live without any rituals, not that they are not important but I prefer to contemplate on the Divine love inside of me! I hardly ever do Aarti even. Only for Shivratri night when making offerings to the Shiv Lingam, I will do Aarti for the other murtis. I love bhajans and I love chanting! I love listening to Krishna Das sing. If you ever come across any of his CDs, I highly, highly, highly recommend that you buy them. His voice just blows me away. It is so powerful and so filled with devotion!

Aww, I'm sure you still got many blessings for your kind deeds! :yes: Nobody is perfect but we try our best! Hey, I just got an idea for a new thread, but if not today, I'll post it tomorrow. Time is limited for me today.

BTW, you seem new-ish around here. Welcome to RF. You said you are a Krishna devotee! Well then...Hare Krishna! :eek:m: :)

No, not a Krishna devotee...although I think the Baghava Gita is a wonderful teaching that I have read several versions of.

s for Krishna Das..oh yes, I have most of his CDs. He came to London a couple of years ago and a group of us went. His CDs are very popular and those are the ones I most listen to at home, especially the Live album...and the Hanuman Chalisa ..oh wow. For someone like me who isnt much into devotion, it still gets me evwery time. One of my friends sings in a slightly different style but similarly powerful. He used to never sing, but we now do get him to sing occasionally. At biggish events, with a visiting Saint present, I have heard him sing and just get faster and faster and so powerful, it was an amazing experience.
We are very lucky in London with several visiting Saints, usually stopping offi n London on their way back form the US to India.

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
michaelm said:
No, not a Krishna devotee...although I think the Baghava Gita is a wonderful teaching that I have read several versions of.

s for Krishna Das..oh yes, I have most of his CDs. He came to London a couple of years ago and a group of us went. His CDs are very popular and those are the ones I most listen to at home, especially the Live album...and the Hanuman Chalisa ..oh wow. For someone like me who isnt much into devotion, it still gets me evwery time. One of my friends sings in a slightly different style but similarly powerful. He used to never sing, but we now do get him to sing occasionally. At biggish events, with a visiting Saint present, I have heard him sing and just get faster and faster and so powerful, it was an amazing experience.
We are very lucky in London with several visiting Saints, usually stopping offi n London on their way back form the US to India.

Oh my God! You are so blessed to have heard Krishna Das live! I heard his voice on the radio this morning. It's like every time I hear him, I feel transformed. I feel elated. He has a powerful effect! I wish that I can meet him in person - I will touch his feet and embrace him!

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Over the years I have been through Raja, Bhakti, Karma and a variant of Kriya. Which is best? None, as they all have their place. It is important to exercise all aspects of being, and here I mean the physical body, the spiritual/dream body as well as learning to “expose the core". In inner terms, as well as outer terms, the old adage of "Use it or lose it" applies. Yoga is superb at both relaxing and strengthening the connection to the “spiritual/dream” body, but you’ll have to take my word for it, until you prove it to yourself. The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Heather's description of melding or phasing into dream consciously is quite accurate and a fascinating pastime. I have also explored the aspect of awakening to full consciousness while within an existing "ordinary" dream. Instantaneously that dream becomes a "non-ordinary" dream, lol as one learns they have considerable flexibility and control over the dreamscape itself. When folks manage to grasp this then you could say "now you're cooking with gas", hehe. Ah well, it’s all good. I can tell folks that regardless of which form of yoga they get into, it is unlikely that they will be disappointed.

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
YmirGF said:
Over the years I have been through Raja, Bhakti, Karma and a variant of Kriya. Which is best? None, as they all have their place. It is important to exercise all aspects of being, and here I mean the physical body, the spiritual/dream body as well as learning to “expose the core". In inner terms, as well as outer terms, the old adage of "Use it or lose it" applies. Yoga is superb at both relaxing and strengthening the connection to the “spiritual/dream” body, but you’ll have to take my word for it, until you prove it to yourself. The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Heather's description of melding or phasing into dream consciously is quite accurate and a fascinating pastime. I have also explored the aspect of awakening to full consciousness while within an existing "ordinary" dream. Instantaneously that dream becomes a "non-ordinary" dream, lol as one learns they have considerable flexibility and control over the dreamscape itself. When folks manage to grasp this then you could say "now you're cooking with gas", hehe. Ah well, it’s all good. I can tell folks that regardless of which form of yoga they get into, it is unlikely that they will be disappointed.

Thank you so much for your input. I have been able to manipulate my dreams a bit. Sometimes I know when when I'm dreaming and I can sometimes wake myself up from dreams.

I have often wondered about something. Sometimes when I begin to fall asleep, I'm in between sleep and wake and I begin to dream faces of people I have never met. Do you have any idea about what causes this? I mean, I see their faces clearly but I have never seen them before in my life! I wonder if they are souls who have departed; whether they are astral bodies of other people dreaming; whether they are people who I knew in a previous life; whether they are souls watching over me! Has this happened to you?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Hema said:
I have often wondered about something. Sometimes when I begin to fall asleep, I'm in between sleep and wake and I begin to dream faces of people I have never met. Do you have any idea about what causes this? I mean, I see their faces clearly but I have never seen them before in my life! I wonder if they are souls who have departed; whether they are astral bodies of other people dreaming; whether they are people who I knew in a previous life; whether they are souls watching over me! Has this happened to you?
My guess is that you are sensing your other aspect selves. These are aspects of you in other realities and so they MAY seem like strangers... but they are actually aspects of your entity. To them, you would also seem strange, perhaps familiar, but distant. No small feat Hema. Nice work. Are these stretched out or do they blur together in a series like so.

universalform.jpg

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
YmirGF said:
My guess is that you are sensing your other aspect selves. These are aspects of you in other realities and so they MAY seem like strangers... but they are actually aspects of your entity. To them, you would also seem strange, perhaps familiar, but distant. No small feat Hema. Nice work. Are these stretched out or do they blur together in a series like so.

universalform.jpg

Thank you so much. If I remember correctly, they sometimes stretch out or sometimes I see one face changing after another. Sort of like in Michael Jackson's video - Black or White, where one face changes into another - I think most times it is like that. Some of them are women and some are men.

zenzero

Its only a Label
The topic of YOGA
YOGA means to ADD.
Here to add what.
The individual energy with the universal energy.
How you add is the type of yoga.
If one merges with the universal soul/energy by doing asanas it is Haath yoga
If one achieves the same by prayers it is Bhakti yoga if by meditation it is dhyana yoga if by work it is kramayoga if ny sex it ids tantra yoga so on and so forth.
What is the path one is comfotable with is the best for that individual there is nothing like this is better or that.
There is nothing to compare and gain.
It is for each one to try whatever way he can and find the way that best suits as eventually the method too has to be discarded.
One can reach there by doing NOTHING as man is god by birth only a small realisation and everything falls in place.
Eat while eating, drink whoile drinking and sleep while sleeping that is the best yoga posture even Buddhas practice.
Love & rgds

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
The topic of YOGA
YOGA means to ADD.
Here to add what.
The individual energy with the universal energy.
How you add is the type of yoga.
If one merges with the universal soul/energy by doing asanas it is Haath yoga
If one achieves the same by prayers it is Bhakti yoga if by meditation it is dhyana yoga if by work it is kramayoga if ny sex it ids tantra yoga so on and so forth.
What is the path one is comfotable with is the best for that individual there is nothing like this is better or that.
There is nothing to compare and gain.
It is for each one to try whatever way he can and find the way that best suits as eventually the method too has to be discarded.
One can reach there by doing NOTHING as man is god by birth only a small realisation and everything falls in place.
Eat while eating, drink whoile drinking and sleep while sleeping that is the best yoga posture even Buddhas practice.
Love & rgds

Yes, it is up to each individual what he/she prefers but I'm asking which one do you prefer?

zenzero

Its only a Label
Where is the question of preference.
Individual is till there is a division and here the division is not felt
Who is there to choose? whatever is done all 24 hours is the WAY.
Love & rgds

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
Where is the question of preference.
Individual is till there is a division and here the division is not felt
Who is there to choose? whatever is done all 24 hours is the WAY.
Love & rgds

So I finally have your answer then - "Whatever is done 24 hours is the way." Thank you.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Approach it and there is no beginning;
follow it and there is no end.

TAO TE CHING
You can't know it, but you can be it,
at ease in your own life.
Just realize where you come from:
this is the essence of wisdom.

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
Approach it and there is no beginning;
follow it and there is no end.

TAO TE CHING
You can't know it, but you can be it,
at ease in your own life.
Just realize where you come from:
this is the essence of wisdom.

Thank you but how did you realize this - from your personal experience?

zenzero

Its only a Label
Hema,
Read it again:
You can't know it but you can be it.
What you ask is again trying to know.
That woll be of no help.
BE IT.
To BE IT the jouney is totally INWARDS.
Not outside. Outside are all pointers, they can give/show directions nothing more.
When the finger points at the moon;
don't look at the finger or the moon.
Follow it. Travel inwards.
Reading, knowing is for getting an understanding best a starting point or a better preperation for the jouney. Eventually the jouney INWARDS has toi be made.
Wahtever WAY one choses finally it is transedenting the mind that truth can be realised.
Love & rgds

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
Hema,
Read it again:
You can't know it but you can be it.
What you ask is again trying to know.
That woll be of no help.
BE IT.
To BE IT the jouney is totally INWARDS.
Not outside. Outside are all pointers, they can give/show directions nothing more.
When the finger points at the moon;
don't look at the finger or the moon.
Follow it. Travel inwards.
Reading, knowing is for getting an understanding best a starting point or a better preperation for the jouney. Eventually the jouney INWARDS has toi be made.
Wahtever WAY one choses finally it is transedenting the mind that truth can be realised.
Love & rgds

What you are describing sounds like Jnana Yoga. Does this describe your journey? I acknowledge that the final destination is within.

Jnana Yoga
"(The Yoga of Knowledge) Jnana Yoga uses the intellect as a tool to understand that our true Self is behind and beyond our mind. It is, however, a mistake to think the Source could be found with the intellect alone. For the purpose of Self-discovery, Jnana Yoga probes the nature of the Self through the question "Who am I?" Thus Jnana Yoga may be called the Quest for the Self or the Inquiry into "who we are.""

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Hema,
The process of internalising is not only through gyan or knowledge but as mentioned earlier whatever is done 24 hours has to be done conciously meaning just as a witness to the happening. If you are brushing your teeth witness the brushing as if it is not you who is brushing but some unknown hands cleaning some unknown teeth or whatever. You are just a witness not Hema.
Always looking inwards. The eyes do not focus on objects outsides. Eyes see what we desire. Ears hear what we desire tongue tastes what we desire etc. Be aware of the desires, every small desire should come out and drop of its own accord.
Love & rgds

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
Friend Hema,
The process of internalising is not only through gyan or knowledge but as mentioned earlier whatever is done 24 hours has to be done conciously meaning just as a witness to the happening. If you are brushing your teeth witness the brushing as if it is not you who is brushing but some unknown hands cleaning some unknown teeth or whatever. You are just a witness not Hema.
Always looking inwards. The eyes do not focus on objects outsides. Eyes see what we desire. Ears hear what we desire tongue tastes what we desire etc. Be aware of the desires, every small desire should come out and drop of its own accord.
Love & rgds

It is knowledge of the true self which is within. It is more of a realization process.

zenzero

Its only a Label
The knowledge ihas two dimensions. One of information which one takes before the jouney and on realising truth the dimension of the knowledge is different.
Before the jouney it is like ;
rivers are rivers and mountains are mountaiuns.
Just on having the rebotrh/satori/first glimpse of truth
rivers are no longer rivers and mountaibns are no more mountains as they are a flow the become ONE
after realising truth
rivers are again rivers and mountains are mountains
as truth itself is clear no more duality. The self is completely annhilated.
Love & rgds
realsing/achieving/merging are similar words but may depend on the glasess one wears.

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
The knowledge ihas two dimensions. One of information which one takes before the jouney and on realising truth the dimension of the knowledge is different.
Before the jouney it is like ;
rivers are rivers and mountains are mountaiuns.
Just on having the rebotrh/satori/first glimpse of truth
rivers are no longer rivers and mountaibns are no more mountains as they are a flow the become ONE
after realising truth
rivers are again rivers and mountains are mountains
as truth itself is clear no more duality. The self is completely annhilated.
Love & rgds
realsing/achieving/merging are similar words but may depend on the glasess one wears.

Well it does sound similar. Thanks for your answer. I agree that everything is one. To me everything formed and formless is God.

zenzero

Its only a Label
The difference is in naming it. The name too has to be dropped finally as that too is duality.
Rama krishna Paramahansa as you would know was a devotee of kali and eventually he too had to be take guidance from another budhha who could get ramakrishna to get rid of kalli and see RINAKAR,/nothingness.
Love & rgds

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
The difference is in naming it. The name too has to be dropped finally as that too is duality.
Rama krishna Paramahansa as you would know was a devotee of kali and eventually he too had to be take guidance from another budhha who could get ramakrishna to get rid of kalli and see RINAKAR,/nothingness.
Love & rgds

Kali is just another name for the same one God.