• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Real Christians

Mr Cheese

If someone believes in all the teachings of Jesus above all other religious, and lives it, and does not follow any of the teachings of the Church is he/she a
Christian?

if you follow the teachigns of Jesus sure

but then the teachigns of Paul are often mixed in....

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes...
tongue.gif
Whew... thought I might be part of the Bearian heresy ;) :D

Spiritone

If a human being tells me that they believe that Jesus Christ was the Son of God that died on the cross for their sins than they are a Christian in the basic sense. That is the core of Christianity.

If that person then tells me that they believe that upholding their fellow man with little judgment (I allow the leeway of forgetting no judgment) then that person is a Christian with the basic teachings of Christ in mind.

Anything else is simple indoctrination. The aspect of eternal life is irrelevant if one does not act in the manner that Jesus taught. Thus the notion of "born again" salvation is ridiculous in my opinion. Simply believing in Christ, as the Pauline doctrine states, is also ludicrous.

I may be pushing the no true Scotsman fallacy and hope others will correct me but the notion of Christianity was to elevate the self and then to help elevate others above the life of the downtrodden, the disposesed and the oppressed without bounds regarding culture, race or politics.

Which is why I view Christian politics in America with such a disdainful taste.

I mostly agree. There's a few reasons why I can't say that I am truly Christian. The biggest one is that I am not sure if Jesus was divine. His teachings were to help us to help ourselves. It's a real loss to us all that so much arguing and hatred has been going on for so long about interpretations. So un-Christ-like or so un-Jesus-like to be more exact.
Did the Messiah come??? Or did Jesus take on the role of being the Messiah. He was in the right blood line and appeared at the right time. But the prophesies said He would lead the Jews to victory against their enemies. The biggest being the Romans.
Now I think it really doesn't matter who was right or wrong. Some day something will happen that will eliminate all that has gone on through history and we will be in a new age. The sooner the better. mho.

Spiritone

if you follow the teachigns of Jesus sure

but then the teachigns of Paul are often mixed in....

Paul could only extrapulate on what Jesus had taught, or should have done, but I think he was like an apprentice trying to be the Master. imo

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Brother, check my post,
I'm not your brother. I'm a woman.

where did i misrepresent ur religion?
You said, "Jesus died for them, and their salvation is done, rest keep on doing all things in life, theey got eternal life." That's not what I believe. Of course, as a Christian, I believe that Jesus Christ is my Savior. I believe that through His atoning sacrifice, I can be reconciled to God. On the other hand, I have a responsibility to repent of my sins (not just once, but throughout my life) and to do everything within my power to keep God's commandments. I definitely do not believe, and my religion does not teach, that my salvation is a done deal as long as I believe in Christ.

I quoted from ur own Bible.
Learn to spell.

syberpriend

I'm not your brother. I'm a woman.

yeah now I get u r WOMAN, coz u talk desperatly,

You said, "Jesus died for them, and their salvation is done, rest keep on doing all things in life, theey got eternal life." That's not what I believe. Of course, as a Christian, I believe that Jesus Christ is my Savior. I believe that through His atoning sacrifice, I can be reconciled to God. On the other hand, I have a responsibility to repent of my sins (not just once, but throughout my life) and to do everything within my power to keep God's commandments. I definitely do not believe, and my religion does not teach, that my salvation is a done deal as long as I believe in Christ.
May I ask the verse where Jesus said himself that he will die for mankind sin? Madam, its church teaching, for many catholics and BA, that u belief in Jesus died for ur sin, anad ur salvation is done, even if u drink, do adultery, no prblem.

Learn to spell.
Whats wrong with spelling? think u should wear glasses BIG ONE !!!:run:

Muffled

Jesus in me
If someone believes in all the teachings of Jesus above all other religious, and lives it, and does not follow any of the teachings of the Church is he/she a
Christian?

I am reminded of the rich young ruler who kept all the commandments but something was lacking. A person who follows Jesus probably qualifies from the world view as a Christian and the term Christian was originally coined by worldly people. So real Christians tend to refer to themselves as Born Again Christian even though early church members referred to themselves as Followers of The Way.

The teachings of the church only make you a churchian and some churches are about as far from Christian as one can conceive.

Jesus is my Lord not the church. If the church disagrees with Jesus I will go with Jesus.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
May I ask the verse where Jesus said himself that he will die for mankind sin? Madam, its church teaching, for many catholics and BA, that u belief in Jesus died for ur sin, anad ur salvation is done, even if u drink, do adultery, no prblem.
What you speak of is commonly referred to (at least around here) as "Once Saved, Always Saved" and it is my experience that most Christians do NOT adhere to this religious theory.

I rather suspect that you would not like it much if someone used as wide a brush as you use describing Christianity to describe all Muslims as suicide bombers waiting for their turn to blow up helpless innocent children in order to get their 72 virgins....

McBell

If the church disagrees with Jesus I will go with Jesus.
So what you are basically saying is that if your opinion of what Jesus taught differs from the churches opinion of what Jesus taught, you will take your own private personal interpretation over the interpretation of the church?

Muffled

Jesus in me
I mostly agree. There's a few reasons why I can't say that I am truly Christian. The biggest one is that I am not sure if Jesus was divine. His teachings were to help us to help ourselves. It's a real loss to us all that so much arguing and hatred has been going on for so long about interpretations. So un-Christ-like or so un-Jesus-like to be more exact.
Did the Messiah come??? Or did Jesus take on the role of being the Messiah. He was in the right blood line and appeared at the right time. But the prophesies said He would lead the Jews to victory against their enemies. The biggest being the Romans.
Now I think it really doesn't matter who was right or wrong. Some day something will happen that will eliminate all that has gone on through history and we will be in a new age. The sooner the better. mho.

In that case you are not really following the teachings of Jesus since He taught His divinity.

Jesus came to help the helpless (which is all of us). The lame man wasn't able to heal his lameness but Jesus was. The pharisees had trouble understanding the scripture so Jesus taught it to them. The wicked thought that they could get away with murder but Jesus showed them how wrong they were. The sinful couldn't overcome their sin no matter how hard they tried but Jesus overcame it for them.

In some things this is true, however everything short of God's perfection produces Karma of some kind. Take the divinty of Jesus for instance: This affects whether you can have faith in Him to follow Him. If Jesus is just a man, is He any more worth following than Jim Jones? Men are fallible and easily go astray and lead others into the pit of destruction with them. (The blind leading the blind)

Thief

Rogue Theologian
You are what you follow.
Jews follow after Moses, Christians after Jesus, and Muslims after Muhammad.

Perhaps the question could have been better?
If you are not following...are you not displaying a resistance....and are you greater than the one you choose not to follow?

I suspect any prophet worthy to stand in the Presence of God, will do so.
When we get there, the nay saying should be dropped at the door.

Last edited:

syberpriend

You are what follow.
Jews follow after Moses, Christians after Jesus, and Muslims after Muhammad.
To Correct you my friend, Muslims not only follow Muhammad, but follow teachings of Jesus as well as of Moses, but in real Muslims only follow 1 God. and take Jesus, Moses, Muhammmad as prophets of God
Perhaps the question could have been better?
If you are not following...are you not displaying a resistance....and are you greater than the one you choose not to follow?

I suspect any prophet worthy to stand in the Presence of God, will do so.
When we get there, the nay saying should be dropped at the door.
Thanks

Spiritone

I am reminded of the rich young ruler who kept all the commandments but something was lacking. A person who follows Jesus probably qualifies from the world view as a Christian and the term Christian was originally coined by worldly people. So real Christians tend to refer to themselves as Born Again Christian even though early church members referred to themselves as Followers of The Way.

The teachings of the church only make you a churchian and some churches are about as far from Christian as one can conceive.

Jesus is my Lord not the church. If the church disagrees with Jesus I will go with Jesus.

That is a good answer to my original question and I agree because the different denominations and even within the same denomination Churches and people have their own interpretation. There is nothing wrong with your believing what you think is right regardless of any Church teachings. But I would not argue with someone who has a different interpretation. It is foolish imo to try and persuade someone to change their belief. If they ask, then I would explain and answer question. If they want to debate, great, but argue, no.

Spiritone

In that case you are not really following the teachings of Jesus since He taught His divinity.

Jesus came to help the helpless (which is all of us). The lame man wasn't able to heal his lameness but Jesus was. The pharisees had trouble understanding the scripture so Jesus taught it to them. The wicked thought that they could get away with murder but Jesus showed them how wrong they were. The sinful couldn't overcome their sin no matter how hard they tried but Jesus overcame it for them.

In some things this is true, however everything short of God's perfection produces Karma of some kind. Take the divinty of Jesus for instance: This affects whether you can have faith in Him to follow Him. If Jesus is just a man, is He any more worth following than Jim Jones? Men are fallible and easily go astray and lead others into the pit of destruction with them. (The blind leading the blind)

I mostly agree. But it is debatable as to whether Jesus said He had divinity. Jesus had greater powers than just about anyone who ever lived. But there were others in the OT like Moses who did great things. I have my own, long sought after and studied beliefs re: both OT and NT people etc. I had to change my beliefs along the way because of what I learned/found. And may again. There is always other possibilities.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Hey Syberpriend....
Thanks for the correction, and while not wanting to distract too far from the discussion.....
I was under the impression, Islam holds Muhammad as the last prophet, and therefore, Muhammad is preferred. Is this correct?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
So what you are basically saying is that if your opinion of what Jesus taught differs from the churches opinion of what Jesus taught, you will take your own private personal interpretation over the interpretation of the church?

That is what people do.
To believe otherwise is wishful thinking.

A churches interpretations are the majority concensus at a given time. They are never a unanamous consensus that can never be changed.

syberpriend

Hey Syberpriend....
Thanks for the correction, and while not wanting to distract too far from the discussion.....
I was under the impression, Islam holds Muhammad as the last prophet, and therefore, Muhammad is preferred. Is this correct?

Yes, Muhammad (pbuh) is the lasst among all the prophets sent for mankind. but Muslims follow the commandments of God, the same commandments mention in Bible, Torah, Quran, and further clarified by Muhammad (pbuh).

McBell

That is what people do.
To believe otherwise is wishful thinking.

A churches interpretations are the majority consensus at a given time. They are never a unanimous consensus that can never be changed.
oh, do not get me wrong, I completely agree with you.

It just surprised me that with all the talk against private personal interpretations that he would come right out and say that he prefers his private personal interpretation.