• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Qur'an Vs Bible Vs Bhagavad Gita Vs None

Which is best?

• Bhagavad Gita

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Bible

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • Qur'an

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • None

Votes: 13 33.3%

• Total voters
38fcfda2221e4255c3df259ad7226539.jpg

I read 2 out of 3 and touched on a summary with one of the others. Which one do you believe is the best and give your reasons for why. For those that think none of them are any good, state your reasons as well.

Attachments

• 38fcfda2221e4255c3df259ad7226539.jpg
    38fcfda2221e4255c3df259ad7226539.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 1

MikeF

Premium Member
View attachment 63555
I read 2 out of 3 and touched on a summary with one of the others. Which one do you believe is the best and give your reasons for why. For those that think none of them are any good, state your reasons as well.

I chose none. From my perspective, all three are myth systems built upon artificial constructs of reality. I much prefer learning about and understanding actual reality.

In my opinion.

Viker

Häxan
I've never fully read the Quran, so I didn't vote. Between the first two. I can't say which is best. Both are equally illustrative of their purposes and intents. Neither of them worthless for their cause. Both good reads. When I get around to reading the Quran I may feel the same way about it.

Semmelweis Reflex

Antivaxxer
There is nothing mythical in the macroscopic reality I inhabit. The world in which I operate is quite real.

You mean, like . . . days of the week, months, holidays, wind chimes, wedding rings, tombstones, planets, movies, TV shows, theatre, novels, video games, Midas tires, Trident gum, constellations, Orion Pictures, Ajax household cleaner, Apollo Theater, Mercury, Mars candy bars, the Olympics, Phoenix Arizona, Atlas Van, Nike shoes, FTD Florist logo, Spartans sports teams, Cereal, Apollo Space Program, Pandora Jewelry, Amazon, male names like Jason, Troy, Damon, Michael, Elijah, female names like Rhea, Penelope, Phoebe, Helen, car names like Apollo, Eos, Titan, Taurus, Versace label, the symbol for Medicine, architecture, Battlestar Galactica, Frankenstein, geometric art, astronomy . . . do you think that the primitive superstitious people who were allegedly trying to figure out what the world around them was all about didn't formulate some compendium of knowledge which permeated every aspect of all cultures that ever existed or just pottery shards and a few cave paintings? they weren't trying to figure the world out they were creating it. You're surrounded by the mythical everyday and you don't even know it? Good luck (another mythological concept) with the reality you inhabit. Science, education, medicine, evolution, law. philosophy, ethics, morality, marriage . . . where do you think those things come from?

Last edited:

MikeF

Premium Member
You mean, like . . . days of the week, months, holidays, wind chimes, wedding rings, tombstones, planets, movies, TV shows, theatre, novels, video games, Midas tires, Trident gum, constellations, Orion Pictures, Ajax household cleaner, Apollo Theater, Mercury, Mars candy bars, the Olympics, Phoenix Arizona, Atlas Van, Nike shoes, FTD Florist logo, Spartans sports teams, Cereal, Apollo Space Program, Pandora Jewelry, Amazon, male names like Jason, Troy, Damon, Michael, Elijah, female names like Rhea, Penelope, Phoebe, Helen, car names like Apollo, Eos, Titan, Taurus, Versace label, the symbol for Medicine, architecture, Battlestar Galactica, Frankenstein, geometric art, astronomy . . . do you think that the primitive superstitious people who were allegedly trying to figure out what the world around them was all about didn't formulate some compendium of knowledge which permeated every aspect of all cultures that ever existed or just pottery shards and a few cave paintings? they weren't trying to figure the world out they were creating it. You're surrounded by the mythical everyday and you don't even know it? Good luck (another mythological concept) with the reality you inhabit. Science, education, medicine, evolution , law . . . where do you think those things come from?

I can certainly distinguish between the abstract labels for things and the things themselves.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member

I know the Bible and the Quran are flat out "bad", so the Gita is probably the lessor of evils.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
View attachment 63555
I voted None because I believe they are all holy books, so neither one is better than the other.
However, I believe that the Qur'an is much more authentic than the other two because it was dictated by Muhammad to scribes who either memorized what they heard or wrote it down, later to be compiled in the Qur'an.

By contrast that Bhagavad Gita and the Bible came to us by way of oral tradition, they were not revealed by a Messenger of God or Prophet. Allegedly the Bhagavad Gita was composed by an ancient sage named Vyasa, but the authorship of the Bible is unknown, making it even more precarious.

The Crimson Universe

View attachment 63555

According to many that's not the best translation of the gita. The interpretations of this book is biased towards a certain denomination/school of hinduism. Its best to have more than one gita translation and read all of them at the same time. That way you'll get to know the differing views of various denominations and will get to come to your own conclusion.

Ella S.

*temp banned*
None of them are good.

The laws given in Leviticus and Exodus justified slavery, and Paul's teachings are outright harmful and repressive.

The Quran promotes violence and pedophilia.

The Bhagavad Gita has been used to uphold the caste system, including misogyny and slavery, as well as justifying victim-blaming through the notion of karma.

Even if these are just "misinterpretations," the fact that they are so easily misinterpreted along these lines is still bad. Nobody has misinterpreted a Shel Silverstein poem as proof that it's their divine duty to rape someone, as far as I know, for instance, whereas that has happened quite a lot with all three of these books.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I chose none. From my perspective, all three are myth systems built upon artificial constructs of reality. I much prefer learning about and understanding actual reality.

In my opinion.

<<<THIS>>>​

View attachment 63555

I don't know anything good from Bhagadav Gita and I know Quran says we should believe Jesus, therefore I think Bible is the best, because it has the words of Jesus. Also, I think Bible shows wisdom and knowledge unlike any other, which is to me one reason to think it is the best. (For example knew Jews will be scattered and now gathered back, as it was told thousands of years ago).

The Crimson Universe

No scripture is better than the other. Each has something special to offer. I've finished the Bhagavad Gita last year. It has knowledge of reincarnation, knowledge of the infinite cosmic spirit, the acts that will liberate us from this prison-world and a few more things. The Bible and Quran are in my to-read list. I've already read the book of genesis in the last decade but couldn't finish the whole scripture due to some health issues. This time i wish to read the whole bible using both NIV and NASB editions.

Semmelweis Reflex

Antivaxxer
I can certainly distinguish between the abstract labels for things and the things themselves.

You know, I don't really understand this aspect of atheistic philosophy. It's as if they have this uninformed notion that mythology must be believed. That that is its purpose. And if they have anything to do with it they would appear stupid. Like, people who pay attention to that sort of thing are ignorant and superstitious. I guess because they think that is where it all comes from. Ignorant superstitious people using it to control and then being used by the masses as a sort of crutch. Which is ironic.

Atheists seem to want to use the intellect as a control device and crutch. It makes them feel smart, safe and secure. Everything in the material world is predictable, concrete and without emotional attachment. And consequently they don't know as much about the world around them as they think they do because they have it all wrong. What is concrete about logical thought and where would it be without emotion? Where would emotion be without logic.

The believers tend to have this false sense of superior morality and the unbelievers seem to have this false sense of intellectual superiority. But look at what we've done to the noble pursuit of knowledge. The educated are told what to think rather than how to think. The religious and irreligious have many similar paradoxical illusions. The educated and the religious both tend to be offended by certain words so they will insist of intellectualizing or dumbing down substitute words which have the same meaning. A delusion is an idiosyncratic belief or impression that is firmly maintained despite being contradicted by what is generally accepted as reality or rational argument. You can't hide away the truth or the lie and not come away from it without being delusional.

Those names I listed weren't pulled out of someone's ***. Butt or glutes, if you will. They have great meanings which are deeply embedded into the culture, your thinking. It's all around you. The Greek word for spirit is pneuma. The English words pneumatic and pneumonia comes from that Greek word. An invisible force in motion which produces visible results. Wind. Breath. You can't control the wind. Since wind comes from all directions then by extension it can mean east, west, north, south. Or it can mean compelled mental inclination. What practical unseen forces influence a macrosopic and perhaps even a myopic perspective on transcendent reality? Tradition and culture.

Think of art. Music. Parables, stories, fables . . . myth. George Orwell said all art is propaganda. Pablo Picasso said that art is the lie that enables us to realize the truth. From the Bible Jesus taught in illustrations. Fictional stories that instructed his listeners. Made them think about what he was saying, not just memorize and regurgitate what he said. Aesop's fables. Fairy tales like the Emperor's New Clothes instruct children about self-deception, conformity, and obedience to authority.

I think the overly pragmatic approach to reality is unfortunate.

Semmelweis Reflex

Antivaxxer
None of them are good.

The laws given in Leviticus and Exodus justified slavery, and Paul's teachings are outright harmful and repressive.

The Quran promotes violence and pedophilia.

The Bhagavad Gita has been used to uphold the caste system, including misogyny and slavery, as well as justifying victim-blaming through the notion of karma.

Even if these are just "misinterpretations," the fact that they are so easily misinterpreted along these lines is still bad. Nobody has misinterpreted a Shel Silverstein poem as proof that it's their divine duty to rape someone, as far as I know, for instance, whereas that has happened quite a lot with all three of these books.

Just out of curiosity have you actually read any of these?