• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quran Burning

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Could criticising religious beliefs be considered rude? I'm not sold on having to respect someones belief in something. If they want to believe it sure, but why should that affect me?

I guess that would depend on whether you do it rudely or not. I would characterize burning someone's holy text as rude.

Amill

Apikoros
Why not? To non-Muslims it is just another book.

Because you are stealing/destroying someone else's property.
Despite what some people might think, you do not own the currency in your pocket.

Ownership is a fuzzy concept to begin with, especially when it's with items not physically in that person's or people's possession. There's no reason why the belonging of scriptures in the Quran to Muslims is any less dumb of an idea than a film belonging to the studio that produced it. They are both bodies of people claiming property over something that's basically intangible.

Not that I am taking his side.

as for the falg if someone rose in protest against it, then according to logic their protests are justified, same goes for muslims when someone burns our qur'an.
And when are American mobs attacking Muslims after an American flag is torched overseas? Maybe I have missed the news articles. People who become so enraged over physically harmless acts and want to kill people(or think people deserve death) need to seriously hurry the hell up and get desensitized like most of us in the west. People in the west do take sports a little too seriously though, myself included. But I don't think anyone would go on a rampage if someone many states away burned a jersey of their favorite player. There was a brawl at a baseball stadium recently though, so my response is directed at those actions as well. But people's beliefs, hopes, dreams, passions, and personalities get kicked and spat on all the time. Maybe it's because we're now so used to the extremes of free speech that we don't react like stricter societies do when they are offended?

I'm sure thousands of holy books over hundreds of years have been burnt and thousands more will be next. It's never going to stop so people might as well get over it. People in the west make fun of everything and everyone. How exactly are we going to bring Muslims insensitive to cartoons of Mohammad and burnt Qurans up to speed? Or do we just ignore it forever because of the violence that follows?

Last edited:
To justify offending Islam by burning their "Holly Book" on the basis of "freedom" to do anything and "rights" to do anything is to jsutify yelling "fire" in a crowded theater, to promote evading taxes, joining the Klu Klux Clan, and heckling of Congressmen and the President. In other words, our secular ideals are capable of being carried to rediculous extremes and to do so is an example of not religious but secular FANATICISM.

LIke any ideals, if they are carried to extreme, then they become absurd and on the way out. We are destroying our own ideology by making it so destructive to itself that people are turning back to the old religions. What else can they do since there is no longer a sensible ideology trying to unite the world?

Sum1sGruj

Sometimes, being rude, offensive, provocative or insulting is a necessary part of freedom of speech.
Sometimes making fun of an idea is the best way to expose its weaknesses.

Like saying that the universe came from nothing, for example. That in zero-energy space, zero becomes more than zero with no interaction whatsoever.
:D

It's the biggest joke in mathematics and theory ever to grace Earth, and yet theists are ridiculed.
What other reason is it to ridicule theists other than to stir the pot on baseless assumption?

Last edited:

RitalinO.D.

Like saying that the universe came from nothing, for example. That in zero-energy space, zero becomes more than zero with no interaction whatsoever.

It's the biggest joke in mathematics and theory ever to grace Earth, and yet theists are ridiculed.
What other reason is it to ridicule theists other than to stir the pot on baseless assumption?

You claim to leave one thread on this subject, only to come spew your fundy ignorance in another. How clever of you.

Way to try and derail the thread

no-body

If we stay with this concept, God is then the biggest joke there is.

Sum1sGruj

You claim to leave one thread on this subject, only to come spew your fundy ignorance in another. How clever of you.

Way to try and derail the thread

I was speaking in lieu of this thread, nothing more, nothing less.

But okay.

It's not like I'm lying :D
And atheists, ironically, are the ones who derailed the thread.

Last edited:

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
Like saying that the universe came from nothing, for example.

Which scientist has made this claim and when?
Full citation please, because that is a blatant misrepresentation of the actual science, whether you are aware of it or not.

That in zero-energy space, zero becomes more than zero with no interaction whatsoever.

????
Do you mean Zero Point Energy?
Because that is no even close to what it means... :sarcastic

If it is a joke, then it appears that it is one you do not understand.
And in case you wondered, that is one of the reasons theists are ridiculed.

To make them realize the ridiculousness of their position?

I mean, Deism we could at least discuss, but a personal theistic god who takes an active part in the day to day running of the Cosmos and who answers prayers? Get real...

And before you get all offended now, remember you were the one who started this ball rolling by misrepresenting science.

Show some bleedin' gratitude will ya? :sarcastic

Sum1sGruj

Which scientist has made this claim and when?
Full citation please, because that is a blatant misrepresentation of the actual science, whether you are aware of it or not.

????
Do you mean Zero Point Energy?
Because that is no even close to what it means... :sarcastic

If it is a joke, then it appears that it is one you do not understand.
And in case you wondered, that is one of the reasons theists are ridiculed.

For one, I would love someone to challenge me on physics.
Even Stephen Hawking cannot answer the problem with zero-point energy at the fundamental origin of existence.
Like many theories, this concept in particular answers many questions, but fails under a certain condition.

Zero-Point-Energy Quantum Theories, Experiments and Star Travel Possibilities

The first three paragraphs sum it up pretty well, and this isn't even a source denying the possibility, which makes it even more damning.

I was not raised on Christianity, and I do not make false clams on science, I only bring out it's obscurities. You on the other hand, have just made a huge contradiction of yourself.

Last edited:

RitalinO.D.

I was not raised on Christianity, and I do not make false clams on science, I only bring out it's obscurities. You on the other hand, have just made a huge contradiction of yourself.

You made several false claims on science, including but not limited to calling it laughable.

How do you look in the mirror and not completely fall out laughing at how rediculous your claims are?

Sum1sGruj

You made several false claims on science, including but not limited to calling it laughable.

How do you look in the mirror and not completely fall out laughing at how rediculous your claims are?

There are many things in science that amount to nothing but speculative theory. You mistake them for truth. You do realize that if this problem with zero-point energy is not solved, the entire theory falls apart, right?
This is the spice of scientific theory. You should educate yourself a little more and give a few laughs in a mirror.
Even a proper scientist would tell you these things.

You're just ****** that I'm bringing up some truth about the field of science that you hide (or are not aware of) to fool theists into thinking they are stupid.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon

I just did.
Still waiting for that citation.

Even Stephen Hawking cannot answer the problem with zero-point energy at the fundamental origin of existence.

And, when exactly did anyone claim that we had a complete understanding of the Universe?

The first three paragraphs sum it up pretty well, and this isn't even a source denying the possibility, which makes it even more damning.

Reading material for you:
Casimir effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Virtual particle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You on the other hand, have just made a huge contradiction of yourself.

I made a contradiction OF MYSELF? :sarcastic
I'm not even sure that is possible.
But on the off-chance that you meant "You contradicted yourself", where exactly did I do that?

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
There are many things in science that amount to nothing but speculative theory. You mistake them for truth. You do realize that if this problem with zero-point energy is not solved, the entire theory falls apart, right?
This is the spice of scientific theory. You should educate yourself a little more and give a few laughs in a mirror.

You're just ****** that I'm bringing up some truth about the field of science that you hide (or are not aware of) to fool theists into thinking they are stupid.

You really need to learn what a Scientific Theory is. :facepalm:

Sum1sGruj

Virtual particle: I'll break it down for you. Electrons are the best example. The pop in and out of existence. Electrons need a source. Zero energy is not a source.

Casimir effect: Requires a quantized field. Zero-point space is not quantized.

The entire crux of the problem lies on the fact that there must be a quantum with some kind of charge for expansion to occur.

I would have thought that by saying "Stephen Hawking cannot answer this", it would more than suffice. He's one of the top authorities of physics,, in the world.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
I would have thought that by saying "Stephen Hawking cannot answer this", it would more than suffice. He's one of the top authorities of physics,, in the world.

And that proves...what?
That we don't have the answer to everything?
We already knew that, and so does every scientist on the planet.

Still waiting for citations on those claims you made by the way.

See, unlike religion science doesn't have to be right about everything. But also unlike religion, science has to TRY to be as right as it possible can.
Dogma is the death of progress, and if admitting that we are indeed ignorant about many aspects of the universe is such a problem for you, then I guess sticking to your religious texts is the only solution.
Me, I'll stick with science, because, again unlike religion, science works, female dogs! ;)

Now, perhaps we can get back on topic?

RitalinO.D.

But what you do not understand about science is that it is ever evolving. Science has never claimed to know everything, and that in and of itself does not mean science is laughable, or unreliable in any regard. It means that when new evidence appears, it changes. Religion does not do this.

You do know the difference between the lamens term theory and scientific theory right? If not you should look it up. You have not demonstrated one single truth about science thus far. All you have managed to do is rant aimlessly about a subject of study you obviously know nothing about.

Injecting your "God" into every question asked of you accomplishes nothing except to show anyone reading your replys that you have zero desire to consider any outside possibility that this God doesn't exist, or exist in a different form.

What would you say to the scientists in the world that also believe in God? Would you call them crazy? Or the people that believe in the same God you do, who also have seen and believe the facts of evolution?

Can you seriously say you've never had a single doubt about your beliefs? I'm not trying to convince you to stop believing the way you do, I am just wondering exactly how blind you really are.

PhAA

Grand Master
Like many theories, this concept in particular answers many questions, but fails under a certain condition.

Zero-Point-Energy Quantum Theories, Experiments and Star Travel Possibilities

Not knowing the answer doesn't mean there is no answer. You claim to be very knowledgeable. Why don't you answer it?