• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Qur'an and the Shariah Law

gnostic

The Lost One
I really don't know much about the Shariah Law, but the recent events about Abdul Rahman, has brought my attention of Islamic Law being used in Afghan court.

Since Western societies don't get the full picture of how Shariah Law works, and I am often told I don't under Islam, I am wondering if someone would explain the differences.

So my questions are:
  • How much of the Shariah Law is really related to the Qur'an?
  • Is the Shariah Law is Islam?
  • If there are differences between the Qur'an and Shariah Law, does the Shariah Law take precedence over the Qur'an?
  • If the Shariah Law is different from Islam or the Qur'an, then when was the Shariah Law first used?
  • Does Shariah Law take precedence over secular or civil law of the country?
  • How many Muslim-populated or Muslim majority countries had enacted the Shariah Law into their legal system?
  • Is the Shariah Law mis-represented or mis-used by Muslims for personal gains?

zorro307

can't say I blame them either

poke around this website

http://www.nosharia.com/

Canada had a quasi-legal alternative for Jews & Christians for several years and then muslims wanted to join this party

fortunately the truth came out thanks to alot of motivated females & sharia was squashed in Canada

Nehustan

I'm going to answer this blind (maybe unwise) without turning to reference. Shariah to my understanding is built upon the Quran and the hadith, but beyond that jurisprudent decisions based on Islamic sources. So for instance if one found a document from Islamic Bagdad outlining a court case (or just a theological point), argued pro and con, it could and would form a basis for jurisprudence and thus 'shariah'.