• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quotes from the Saints

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
Hey all,

Some of you may be aware of the Desert Fathers; these people were monks, hermits and ascetics in the early centuries of Christianity who chose to live in the desert and literally give their entire lives for Christ. They're especially popular among the Oriental Orthodox and the Eastern Orthodox, but their austere and prayerful way of life had a profound influence on Western monasticism as well; for example St. Benedict based his Rule off of these Desert Fathers. In fact, the Desert Fathers were the first Christian monastics, and they were the ones who gave birth to the movement. As time goes on, I hope you all will see why these men (and women!) inspired others across Christendom to follow their example and take up the monastic way of life.

All readings are taken from "Sayings of the Desert Fathers." I highly recommend buying this; it's really cheap, and it makes great reading for Lent, or for any time when you're looking for inspiration.

Now, let us begin! :D

A brother, being tormented by a demon, went to a hermit and said, "Those two monks over there who live together live sinfully." But the hermit knew that a demon was deceiving him. So he called the brothers to him. In the evening he put out a mat for them, and covered them with a single blanket, and said, "They are sons of God, and holy persons." But he said to his disciple, "Shut this slandering brother up in a cell by himself; he is suffering from the passion of which he accuses them."

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Hey all,

Some of you may be aware of the Desert Fathers; these people were monks, hermits and ascetics in the early centuries of Christianity who chose to live in the desert and literally give their entire lives for Christ. They're especially popular among the Oriental Orthodox and the Eastern Orthodox, but their austere and prayerful way of life had a profound influence on Western monasticism as well; for example St. Benedict based his Rule off of these Desert Fathers. In fact, the Desert Fathers were the first Christian monastics, and they were the ones who gave birth to the movement. As time goes on, I hope you all will see why these men (and women!) inspired others across Christendom to follow their example and take up the monastic way of life.

All readings are taken from "Sayings of the Desert Fathers." I highly recommend buying this; it's really cheap, and it makes great reading for Lent, or for any time when you're looking for inspiration.

Now, let us begin! :D

A brother, being tormented by a demon, went to a hermit and said, "Those two monks over there who live together live sinfully." But the hermit knew that a demon was deceiving him. So he called the brothers to him. In the evening he put out a mat for them, and covered them with a single blanket, and said, "They are sons of God, and holy persons." But he said to his disciple, "Shut this slandering brother up in a cell by himself; he is suffering from the passion of which he accuses them."

Is that for real, Shiranui?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
The earliest Christians in the British isles lived a similar monastic life and as hermits. They were here before the Roman church and were though to be from the Copts. They formed the first Celtic churches. that were based on monastic centres, rather than Sees under a Bishop.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
i've always wondered how those monks lived and what they did... why hide yourself away from everyone. It sounds a bit cultish? Jesus sent his disciples out into the world to teach his word to people of all sorts...he never said to hide away from anyone.

so what did they do apart from pray???

Shiranui117

Premium Member
i've always wondered how those monks lived and what they did... why hide yourself away from everyone. It sounds a bit cultish? Jesus sent his disciples out into the world to teach his word to people of all sorts...he never said to hide away from anyone.

so what did they do apart from pray???
Pray, struggle against the sinful passions, study the Scriptures, welcome visitors and give guidance. Many live in communities and make simple products to live off of; many of the Desert Fathers especially made plaits and ropes out of palm leaves.

Last edited:

InChrist

Free4ever
Hey all,

I believe by going off to live solitary, monastic lives the Desert Fathers were disregarding the command of Christ to go into all the world and preach the good news of Christ. Living in isolation from others and everyday life is not a lifestyle which is drawn from the inspiration of the biblical scriptures. Along with this, the Desert Fathers experimented with all kinds of spiritual practices in their attempts of "getting closer to God". I think an important question to ask is, what god were they getting closer to? They seemed to have no discernment or regard for the biblical warnings against forbidden or occult type practices which lead one into the presence of and into the doctrines of demons.

The Desert Fathers - Bringing Mysticism to Today's Church

Last edited:

Shiranui117

Premium Member
I believe by going off to live solitary, monastic lives the Desert Fathers were disregarding the command of Christ to go into all the world and preach the good news of Christ. Living in isolation from others and everyday life is not a lifestyle which is drawn from the inspiration of the biblical scriptures. Along with this, the Desert Fathers experimented with all kinds of spiritual practices in their attempts of "getting closer to God". I think an important question to ask is, what god were they getting closer to? They seemed to have no discernment or regard for the biblical warnings against forbidden or occult type practices which lead one into the presence of and into the doctrines of demons.

The Desert Fathers - Bringing Mysticism to Today's Church
If I may, I would like to keep this thread from becoming a debate thread. If you want to argue about the benefits and practices of monasticism, I courteously ask you to open another thread elsewhere, preferably on one of the debate forums. You can link to the debate thread if you wish, but as I said, I would like to prevent this from turning into a debate thread; my original intent in creating this thread was to post sayings of the Desert Fathers, in order to both provide a source of inspiration and pleasant reading, and also to open up a discussion (not a debate!) the meanings and significance of the sayings posted, and how these sayings could benefit us in our walk with Christ.

Thank you for understanding, and God bless you!

InChrist

Free4ever
If I may, I would like to keep this thread from becoming a debate thread. If you want to argue about the benefits and practices of monasticism, I courteously ask you to open another thread elsewhere, preferably on one of the debate forums. You can link to the debate thread if you wish, but as I said, I would like to prevent this from turning into a debate thread; my original intent in creating this thread was to post sayings of the Desert Fathers, in order to both provide a source of inspiration and pleasant reading, and also to open up a discussion (not a debate!) the meanings and significance of the sayings posted, and how these sayings could benefit us in our walk with Christ.

Thank you for understanding, and God bless you!

Although, I don't really understand and I fail to see how sayings from those who have departed from biblical doctrine and faith can provide inspiration or benefit anyone's walk with Jesus Christ, I will respect your request and refrain from debating.

May God bless you, too.

Shiranui117

Premium Member
Although, I don't really understand and I fail to see how sayings from those who have departed from biblical doctrine and faith can provide inspiration or benefit anyone's walk with Jesus Christ, I will respect your request and refrain from debating.

May God bless you, too.
Again, if you really want to debate this or pursue this line further, you are completely free to create a debate topic elsewhere, and post a link to that debate thread.

I do thank you for your self-restraint, though :)

Shiranui117

Premium Member
The snippet for today:

[Hyperichius] also said, "It is better to eat meat and drink wine than to eat the flesh of the brothers by disparaging them."

Shiranui117

Premium Member
47. A brother asked Poemen, "What is the meaning of the text, 'Whoever is angry with his brother without a cause' (Matt. 5:22)?" He answered, "If you are angry with your brother for any kind of trouble that he gives you, that is anger without a cause, and it is better for you to pluck out our right eye and cast it from you. But if anyone wants to separate you from God, then you must be angry with him."

48. Poemen said, "If a man sins and denies it, saying, "I have not sinned," do not correct him, or you will destroy any intention he might have of changing. If you say, "Do not be cast down, my brother, but be careful about that in the future," you will move his heart to repent.

Posting thoughts about any quotes is encouraged :)

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
I for one am really glad this thread is going. So thank you, Brother.
I love reading the Desert Fathers and Mothers words and stories.

For those reading who are wondering 'Why?'....

I don't want to turn this into a debate either,
but thought I'd share a few favourable words on the subject.

This isn't a simple topic to address with people
and it takes deep understanding of the whole picture to get what is going on with these people and their spiritual calling.

Please don't think ill of them.
They are misunderstood for sure.

Contemplative/Mystic Christianity is a new thing to a lot of people,
but it's been common in Non-Protestant, especially Non-Western Christianity for nearly as long as Christianity has existed.

Of note:
One of the scriptural foundations for seclusion and cloistering is the practice of "prayer without ceasing", which is a scripture I'm sure you are all familiar with.

One of my favourite Desert Fathers: Moses the Black

st_moses_the_blac.jpg

Some info and the Quote to share-

Taken from: St. Moses the Black : Meditation Strengthens Spiritual Life

St. Moses the Black grew to become an effective prophetic spiritual leader. He was known for his wisdom, as well as his non-judgmental attitude towards others.

The story of St. Moses the Black's sandbag is known by all. Once a brother had been caught in a particular sin, and the abbot of the monastery asked St. Moses to join council that would convict the monk. He reluctantly came to the council, carrying on his back a leaking bag of sand. Seeing this strange scene, the brothers asked him the significance of it. He simply said, "This sand is my sins which are trailing out behind me, while I go to judge the sins of another." At such a reply the brothers forgave the offender and decided to focus on their own salvation rather than their brothers sins.

It is said that through meditation the desert fathers learned to accept self, others, and any circumstance. Inasmuch, meditation then taught him acceptance of all things. St. Moses had to learn to accept himself including his past; "Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature?" (Matthew 6:2); others "And why do you look at the speck in your brothers eye..." (Matthew 7:3); and his current circumstance, "for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content" (Philippians 4:11).

For what it's worth:

That link above might shed some Light onto the subject for those who don't quite get what these folks were up to out there.

They were just men and women seeking to know God, but they served others (which was mentioned several times in this thread) by inspiring others to be constantly mindful of God and their pilgrimage home to the Divine.

:namaste
SageTree

Shiranui117

Premium Member
I for one am really glad this thread is going. So thank you, Brother.
I love reading the Desert Fathers and Mothers words and stories.

For those reading who are wondering 'Why?'....

I don't want to turn this into a debate either,
but thought I'd share a few favourable words on the subject.

This isn't a simple topic to address with people
and it takes deep understanding of the whole picture to get what is going on with these people and their spiritual calling.

Please don't think ill of them.
They are misunderstood for sure.

Contemplative/Mystic Christianity is a new thing to a lot of people,
but it's been common in Non-Protestant, especially Non-Western Christianity for nearly as long as Christianity has existed.

Of note:
One of the scriptural foundations for seclusion and cloistering is the practice of "prayer without ceasing", which is a scripture I'm sure you are all familiar with.

One of my favourite Desert Fathers: Moses the Black

st_moses_the_blac.jpg

Some info and the Quote to share-

For what it's worth:

That link above might shed some Light onto the subject for those who don't quite get what these folks were up to out there.

They were just men and women seeking to know God, but they served others (which was mentioned several times in this thread) by inspiring others to be constantly mindful of God and their pilgrimage home to the Divine.

SageTree
Ahh yes, the story of the sandbag/basket full of sand! There are several quotes and versions of that story in the book I'm quoting from; I think it's one of the most brilliant metaphors/parables since Jesus's time :D

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Yeah, I think it's a pretty obvious choice....

But it's likely only blokes like us know it, so thought I'd best to share it for the others.

Definitely a good 'first stone' kind of story.

Thanks again for this thread.

InChrist

Free4ever
I find these quotes to be trite when compared with the truths and wisdom of the scriptures. Not debating, just my thoughts and opinion.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Not debating either and appreciate you saying so.

I'd like to add:

The quotes are based on the contemplation on the scriptures.

And

This tradition is basically one of the oldest in Christian history, starting around 270.

I encourage you to read more neutral sources on the topic. :)
You might find something that relates to your own pondering of the Word.

InChrist

Free4ever
Not debating either and appreciate you saying so.

I'd like to add:

The quotes are based on the contemplation on the scriptures.

And

This tradition is basically one of the oldest in Christian history, starting around 270.

I encourage you to read more neutral sources on the topic. :)
You might find something that relates to your own pondering of the Word.

I think the idea of this tradition being one from "Christian" history is questionable because the term "Christian' has been given different meanings, most often meaning Catholic. Thank you for the encouragement to read more neutral sources, but I don't believe there is such a thing as a neutral source. I was raised Catholic and was also involved in various esoteric and mystical practices before becoming a believer in Jesus Christ and accepting the Bible as God's revealed truth and wisdom, so I am not unfamiliar with other sources of reading material. Again, not debating, just sharing thoughts.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Interesting dichotomy you draw there between mystic and believer.

Would be interesting to see this talked about in another thread.