• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quotes from Famous Freethinkers

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
  • "Religious institutions that use government power in support of themselves and force their views on persons of other faiths, or of no faith, undermine all our civil rights. Moreover, state support of an established religion tends to make the clergy unresponsive to their own people, and leads to corruption within religion itself. Erecting the 'wall of separation between church and state,' therefore, is absolutely essential in a free society." - Thomas Jefferson

Thumper

Thank the gods I'm an atheist
“Whatever we once were, we are no longer just a Christian nation; we are also a Jewish nation, a Muslim nation, a Buddhist nation, a Hindu nation and a nation of non-believers.” ~ President Obama

Bob the Unbeliever

“Whatever we once were, we are no longer just a Christian nation; we are also a Jewish nation, a Muslim nation, a Buddhist nation, a Hindu nation and a nation of non-believers.” ~ President Obama

That moment in History, was the first time a sitting president admitted that it's Okay, for US Citizens to be non-believers.

Made me proud, for a bit, to be a Citizen.

Bob the Unbeliever

(This may be a repeat)

“This is rather as if you imagine a puddle waking up one morning and thinking, 'This is an interesting world I find myself in — an interesting hole I find myself in — fits me rather neatly, doesn't it? In fact it fits me staggeringly well, must have been made to have me in it!' This is such a powerful idea that as the sun rises in the sky and the air heats up and as, gradually, the puddle gets smaller and smaller, frantically hanging on to the notion that everything's going to be alright, because this world was meant to have him in it, was built to have him in it; so the moment he disappears catches him rather by surprise. I think this may be something we need to be on the watch out for.”

~ Douglas Adams, The Salmon of Doubt

Bob the Unbeliever

"Faith is the surrender of the mind; it's the surrender of reason, it's the surrender of the only thing that makes us different from other mammals. It's our need to believe, and to surrender our skepticism and our reason, our yearning to discard that and put all our trust or faith in someone or something, that is the sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith must be the most overrated."

~ Christopher Hitchens

Bob the Unbeliever

"If I were not an atheist, I would believe in a God who would choose to save people on the basis of the totality of their lives and not the pattern of their words. I think he would prefer an honest and righteous atheist to a TV preacher whose every word is God, God, God, and whose every deed is foul, foul, foul."
– Isaac Asimov

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
"Why can't I leave religion alone?" Because it storms its way into my children's schools, it weasels its way into my government, and its followers demand I can't do what I want with my own body. Right now people are being tortured, beaten, raped and murdered in the name of religion. Is that reason enough? ~ Allie Jackson

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
"When they make harmful laws that control everyone based on their religionIt is necessary for human survival to offend religion with reality. Do not be afraid to tell people - your religion offends my reason." - anon

Shadow Link

IMG_2253.JPG

Here's the full text...

I HAVE studied many times
The marble which was chiseled for me—
A boat with a furled sail at rest in a harbor.
In truth it pictures not my destination
But my life.
For love was offered me and I shrank from its disillusionment;
Sorrow knocked at my door, but I was afraid;
Ambition called to me, but I dreaded the chances.
Yet all the while I hungered for meaning in my life.
And now I know that we must lift the sail
And catch the winds of destiny
Wherever they drive the boat.
To put meaning in one’s life may end in madness,
But life without meaning is the torture
Of restlessness and vague desire—
It is a boat longing for the sea and yet afraid.

Last edited:

Poppa

whats going to happen when we, who are made in his image, finally meet the intelligent insectoids of the Nebulon galaxy, who believe they were made in his image? holy-moley that will make the crusade look like a tea party.
- me