• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quotes from Famous Freethinkers

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
"The more Christian a country is the less likely it is to regard the death penalty as immoral. Abolition [of capital punishment] has taken its firmest hold in post-Christian Europe, and has least support in the church-going United States. I attribute that to the fact that, for the believing Christian, death is no big deal." - Antonin Scalia

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
“This is why American Atheists openly criticizes religion, as opposed to accommodating it. We see the harm religion does to the human mind, and we recognize that feigning respect for religion merely legitimizes and strengthens it in the eyes and minds of believer. After all, if ‘even the atheists respect their religion,’ then it must be respectable. By criticizing religion openly, fervently, and honestly, we chip away at the pedestal on which religion sits.” – David Silverman

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
"The fact that [the Catholic church] can do good is a testament to the fact that there are good people who will do good, but the organization is corrupt. It is poisoned to its core and it serves no essential good purpose, no true purpose, it is lie after lie, promoting harm to real people....the Catholic Church is not a force for good."- Matt Dillahunty,

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
  • "Atheist are routinely asked how people will know not to rape and murder without religion telling them not to do it, especially a religion that backs up the orders with threats of hell. Believers, listen to me carefully when I say this: When you use this argument, you terrify atheists. We hear you saying that the only thing standing between you and Ted Bundy is a flimsy belief in a supernatural being made up by pre-literate people trying to figure out where the rain came from. This is not very reassuring if you're trying to argue from a position of moral superiority." - Amanda Marcotte

Bob the Unbeliever

"If you don't understand something, and the community of physicists don't understand it, that means God did it? Is that how you want to play this game? If that's how you want to invoke your evidence for God, then God is an ever-receding pocket of scientific ignorance that is getting smaller and smaller and smaller as time moves on."

~ Dr Neil deGrasse Tyson

Bob the Unbeliever

The Church is very loose on evil morals. They, for example, thought that slavery was perfectly fine, absolutely okay. And then, they didn't.

And what is the point of the Church, if it says, "Oh, well, we couldn't know any better, because nobody else did."

Then what are you for?

~ Stephen Fry

Bob the Unbeliever

A long point by Robert G. Ingersoll

"Some Christian lawyers--some eminent and stupid judges--have said and still say, that the Ten Commandments are the foundation of all law.

Nothing could be more absurd. Long before these commandments were given there were codes of laws in India and Egypt--laws against murder, perjury, larceny, adultery and fraud. Such laws are as old as human society; as old as the love of life; as old as industry; as the idea of prosperity; as old as human love.

All of the Ten Commandments that are good were old; all that were new are foolish. If Jehovah had been civilized he would have left out the commandment about keeping the Sabbath, and in its place would have said: 'Thou shalt not enslave thy fellow-men.' He would have omitted the one about swearing, and said: 'The man shall have but one wife, and the woman but one husband.' He would have left out the one about graven images, and in its stead would have said: 'Thou shalt not wage wars of extermination, and thou shalt not unsheathe the sword except in self-defence.'

If Jehovah had been civilized, how much grander the Ten Commandments would have been.

All that we call progress--the enfranchisement of man, of labor, the substitution of imprisonment for death, of fine for imprisonment, the destruction of polygamy, the establishing of free speech, of the rights of conscience; in short, all that has tended to the development and civilization of man; all the results of investigation, observation, experience and free thought; all that man has accomplished for the benefit of man since the close of the Dark Ages--has been done in spite of the Old Testament."

~ Robert G. Ingersoll, About The Holy Bible

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
  • "When I looked at the galaxy that night, I knew the faintest twinkle of starlight was a real connection between my comprehending eye along a narrow beam of light to the surface of another sun. The photons my eyes detect (the light I see, the energy with which my nerves interact) came from that star. I thought I could never touch it, yet something from it crosses the void and touches me. I might never have known. My eyes saw only a tiny point of light, but my mind saw so much more ... That blue twinkle will blow up one day, sterilizing any nearby solar systems in an apocalypse that makes the wrath of human gods seem pitiful by comparison. Yet it was from such destruction that I was formed. Stars must die so that I can live. I stepped out of a supernova… And so did you." - anonymous Internet persona

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
  • "When I delete God from the equation, I take God's place. I don't need God to care about and accept me in order to belong in the universe. I already belong in the universe - by myself, without any help from God - because I'm a completely natural, head-to-toe, inside-and-out part of it." - Peter Mosley

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
  • "Don't speak to me about your religion; first show it to me in how you treat other people. Don't tell me how much you love your God; show me in how much you love all God's children. Don't preach to me your passion for your faith; teach me through your compassion for your neighbors. In the end, I'm not as interested in what you have to tell or sell as I am in how you choose to live and give." - US Senator Corey Booker

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
  • “The crowd, as a crowd, performs acts that many of its members, as individuals, would never be guilty of. Its average intelligence is very low; it is inflammatory, vicious, idiotic, almost simian. Crowds, properly worked up by skillful demagogues, are ready to believe anything, and to do anything.” – Mencken

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
  • “It is no credit to the orthodox that they do not now believe all the absurdities that were believed 150 years ago. The gradual emasculation of the Christian doctrine has been effected in spite of the most vigorous resistance, and solely as the result of the onslaughts of freethinkers.” - Bertrand Russell