• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quitting your religion

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
When I converted from strong atheism to weak atheism, there was no looking back.
It was no conscious decision...it just happened seamlessly & inexorably.
I experienced no loss of community or anything else. Dull, eh?

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't think I could shed my Hinduism even if I wanted to. But I doubt that I would ever want to.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
I don't think I could shed my Hinduism even if I wanted to. But I doubt that I would ever want to.

I am with you sister. I am just embraced the fact I will never stop being a semi-Muslim yesterday :facepalm:.
I am going to just live my life as a Muslim in between a Deist. There is a major difference between leaving a religion and not agreeing with it. I have also learned that heterodoxy is not apostasy. Forget scriptural infallibility and just live my spiritual life as best I seem fit
I see no issues with this now :)

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I am with you sister. I am just embraced the fact I will never stop being a semi-Muslim yesterday :facepalm:.
I am going to just live my life as a Muslim in between a Deist.
I see no issues with it :)
As I see it, you will be where you are called.
Nuthin you can do about it.
Is one's state permanent?
One won't know until one changes.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Something bizarre I should mention is that it has taken me weeks to convince a Satanist (very knowledgeable in Islam) to convince him I was no longer a Muslim. Apparently I score 8/10 for "residual iman(faith)" :sarcastic.
If it takes me this much time to convince a person I am not a Muslim I might as well embrace it. I am by no means a normal Muslim but whatever. I believe in evolution and secular thought but my spiritual viewpoint is undoubtedly Islamic to the greater degree.
I am unable to say anything negative about Muhammad still. I still feel compelled to protect his name. :thud:
I am an odd and confusing person and I shall just suck it up and live my life gracefully

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Out of curiosity, what made you come to this realisation? What are your reasons for holding on?

The issue is that there are only a few things I disagree with about Islam such as Jahannam(hell), divine prophecy, myths and miracles. In a odd way this does not affect Islam greatly despite how Muslim view it.
The Qur'an is not overly abundant with prophetic events (unless supplemented by ahadith) or the things most religions do. Islam is very narrow and displays a straight path despite its obvious flaws. The conceptualization of god is without a doubt pure of mythos.
I was reading some books by various theological philosophers criticizing religion and most of them like me came to the conclusion god exist but to rely on a book is not important. Holy books are just books and they are all opinionated. Nobody has to accept it as the mandate of god.
I mean no offense by this but you as a Hindu should know that Hindus tend not to view their scriptures in an authoritative manner. It is viewed as divine poetry and display more perception of man reaching to god than god reaching to man. Hindus place more emphasis on one seeking god instead of god beaming commands into ones head.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Sure, but why Islam? I mean, is it for you an identity thing? Or that it is the closest to truth you have found out of all religions you have studied?

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Sure, but why Islam? I mean, is it for you an identity thing? Or that it is the closest to truth you have found out of all religions you have studied?

Identities are useless because anyone can make a label.
For me it is because Islam is without a doubt the closest thing to the truth I have ever known. It is not as if I have not learnt other religions extensively. islam by far is the most perfected of all the religions.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Something bizarre I should mention is that it has taken me weeks to convince a Satanist (very knowledgeable in Islam) to convince him I was no longer a Muslim. Apparently I score 8/10 for "residual iman(faith)" :sarcastic.
If it takes me this much time to convince a person I am not a Muslim I might as well embrace it. I am by no means a normal Muslim but whatever. I believe in evolution and secular thought but my spiritual viewpoint is undoubtedly Islamic to the greater degree.
I am unable to say anything negative about Muhammad still. I still feel compelled to protect his name. :thud:
I am an odd and confusing person and I shall just suck it up and live my life gracefully

Grew up under the practice of several different households....several different religions.
At one point made a bid to join the priesthood.

Now glad they chose someone else.

As my banner notes....I have no religion.
And I don't miss it.

The only instruction needed......
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

You've never needed anything else or more.

In what I have read in this thread, it supports my view that there is a common thread among many organized religions. Once the doctrine is adopted/revealed/written, one significant role of the religious infrastructure is to make sure that it survives.

To do this, the adherents must be trained/indoctrinated/proselytized concerning the key factors of the faith. This can take place by repetition (among other methods) and the repetition takes place in a variety of ways. Memorization of the sacred documents, singing of songs, repetition of prayers/recitations/statements of faith/ceremonial functions and even in dealing with each other.

I am an optimist, so I believe that most people within the faiths do this for good motive (if they consider it at all). That is to make sure that the followers, both adults and children, have an understanding of, and inherent affinity for, that which they have learned. This will keep aspects of that faith with you for the rest of your life. It only makes sense that if someone has identified the true path, that they make sure that those they love know about it.

So, how then do we move on? What I do is concentrate on what is valid based on where I currently find myself on the path to my destiny... embracing those things from the past that make sense, and building on them... and those things that are no longer relevant to me fade over time.

Titanic

I was raised as a Southern Baptist but I never really had any attachment to it. The only time I ever went to church was with a few of my cousin's. It was when I was real young so I do not recall most of the teaching's there. My parent's had the title of Southern Baptist and expected me to follow along but they never went to church after I was born. So anyway's I quited my religion once and for all when I was 15. Just did not see any reason why to pretend to be something I was not.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I was raised as a Southern Baptist but I never really had any attachment to it. The only time I ever went to church was with a few of my cousin's. It was when I was real young so I do not recall most of the teaching's there. My parent's had the title of Southern Baptist and expected me to follow along but they never went to church after I was born. So anyway's I quited my religion once and for all when I was 15. Just did not see any reason why to pretend to be something I was not.

I, too, left the Southern Baptist fold when I was 13 (my father was actually studying for the ministry when he passed). Over the last 50 years I have discovered one thing when it comes to religion: everyone has to find their own truth. No person knows any more than the next person. Choose who you listen to with the utmost skepticism.

Titanic

Also after that I went through a craze phase for about 3 year's were I felt like I needed to have some kind of a religion. So I dabbled around and They were like only two religion's I felt close too, but not enough to try and convert though. I really do not miss my childhood religion though. So I can not really get what you are feeling. I just did not agree with it. I still think religion is neat and helpful to people but I am not a buyer into it. I do respect it and I am sure that some part of me will

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I had no problem leaving Roman Catholic, then Eastern Orthodox doctrine and practice behind. Christianity as it is today is too narrow and confining, and too dogmatic. It is Paulism; Jesuism is perfectly acceptable as an adjunct to the Dharmic and east Asian religions of compassion, peace and respect for all of creation.

I don't think I could shed my Hinduism even if I wanted to.

I have to second that. Even though I'm perfectly willing to adopt other religious teachings and philosophies (though not necessarily practices) and incorporate them, Hinduism is my "home base", as it were. I don't know if Laozi or Jesus existed, but whoever wrote in their names had wise things to teach, which I find not incompatible, rather, complementary and supplementary to Hinduism. They same the same basic truths in slightly varying ways. I think this lends a richness, making the whole greater than the sum of the parts.

Titanic

alway's have that good ole baptist burn etched in me. That is only a part of me and i accept that. I am apart of the Las Vegas Religion now. Which is being a open minded

Titanic

Agnostic. cheer's! p.s is converting out of the question? I do not think so. (it's my view that anything can happen).