• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quick language question

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
Hello,

language and translation websites are fairly good these days but there's an expression I couldn't find anywhere.
Suppose there was a bomb placed behind a door and the force of the explosion pushes the door inside the room. What's a good way to describe this? A German would say "the door comes flying in" but this doesn't sound "right" to me in English.

Thanks for your help.

HonestJoe

I'm happy to say it isn't a phrase I've ever needed to use and I do hope this is in a fictional context. :cool:

"The door comes flying in" sounds fine to me (though it would be "The door came flying in" for the more usual past tense, which might be why your version sounded a bit odd).

I wouldn't say there is a standard phrase so anything similar could work as well; "The door was blown in", "The door was forced in", "The door was pushed in" or "The door exploded into the room".

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Hello,

language and translation websites are fairly good these days but there's an expression I couldn't find anywhere.
Suppose there was a bomb placed behind a door and the force of the explosion pushes the door inside the room. What's a good way to describe this? A German would say "the door comes flying in" but this doesn't sound "right" to me in English.

Thanks for your help.
"Blow the door inwardly" "Blew the door in"

"Turns the door into an inward going projectile, smashing everything in its way."

"Propels the door inward" "Propelling the door inward." Its a synonym. Maybe you are going for variety, or perhaps you want the letter P in your sentence.

"Ejects/ejecting the door inward" Its got a nice J in it, and it has the connotation of a mechanical failure.

"Fragments/fragmenting the door inwardly." Implies dangerous splinters of the door will fly inwards.

"Obliterate/obliterating/obliterates the door, and its particles fly inwardly" or "...such that it flies inwards" or "such that pieces of it fly inward." Obliterating is a lot like fragmenting the door, but the pieces are a lot smaller. Context determines whether the door is turned to dust or gas or splinters or chunks, but obliteration is more complete and exciting than fragmentation. It sounds more energetic.

You can be precise and say something like "An implosion caused the door to fly inward, smashing everything in its way."

"The door flew into the interior." This means the whole door flies in.

"Explodes inwards." Probably the door breaks or is fragmented, but you leave it to context or the imagination of the reader.

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
"Blow the door inwardly" "Blew the door in"

"Turns the door into an inward going projectile, smashing everything in its way."

"Propels the door inward" "Propelling the door inward." Its a synonym. Maybe you are going for variety, or perhaps you want the letter P in your sentence.

"Ejects/ejecting the door inward" Its got a nice J in it, and it has the connotation of a mechanical failure.

"Fragments/fragmenting the door inwardly." Implies dangerous splinters of the door will fly inwards.

"Obliterate/obliterating/obliterates the door, and its particles fly inwardly" or "...such that it flies inwards" or "such that pieces of it fly inward." Obliterating is a lot like fragmenting the door, but the pieces are a lot smaller. Context determines whether the door is turned to dust or gas or splinters or chunks, but obliteration is more complete and exciting than fragmentation. It sounds more energetic.

You can be precise and say something like "An implosion caused the door to fly inward, smashing everything in its way."

"The door flew into the interior." This means the whole door flies in.

"Explodes inwards." Probably the door breaks or is fragmented, but you leave it to context or the imagination of the reader.

Thanks for the explanation, this was very detailed. It's amazing to learn about the variety of words.:)

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Hello,

Thanks for your help.

i would say "the explosion blew the door in" but im a Lancashire lass with an accent that doesn't really work elsewhere.

I can recommend deepl.com as a good translator, it uses AI and gives options by hilighting a word so colloquial expressions can be translated too.

Terry Sampson

Suppose there was a bomb placed behind a door and the force of the explosion pushes the door inside the room.
Sorry. I'm not able to visualize how a bomb could be "behind a door" and it's explosion "pushes the door inside a room."
  1. If the door is closed and the bomb is "behind the door", IMO, the bomb is "inside the room" and its explosion would push the door "out", and probably off its hinges and away from the room.
  2. If the door is open and opens outward, a bomb "behind the door" would be outside the room.
  3. If the door is open and opens into the room, a bomb "behind the door" would be "behind the door" and inside the room.

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
Sorry. I'm not able to visualize how a bomb could be "behind a door" and it's explosion "pushes the door inside a room."
  1. If the door is closed and the bomb is "behind the door", IMO, the bomb is "inside the room" and its explosion would push the door "out", and probably off its hinges and away from the room.
  2. If the door is open and opens outward, a bomb "behind the door" would be outside the room.
  3. If the door is open and opens into the room, a bomb "behind the door" would be "behind the door" and inside the room.

Thanks for your input. What I was trying to say is that the the bomb would be out on the hallway, in front of room with a closed door. IMHO the pressure of the explosion would push (parts of) the door inside the room. In case there's a less complicated way to express the scenario, I'm always open to suggestions.

Last edited:

Terry Sampson

What I was trying to say
Ahhh, so the bomb isn't in the room and the door to the room is closed. Gotcha.
  • The force of the bomb, exploding in the hallway, blew the door off it's hinges and into the room.
  • The bomb exploded outside the room, blowing the door off it's hinges and into the room.
  • The bomb exploded outside the room, shattering the door and blowing parts of it into the room.

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
Ahhh, so the bomb isn't in the room and the door to the room is closed. Gotcha.
  • The force of the bomb, exploding in the hallway, blew the door off it's hinges and into the room.
  • The bomb exploded outside the room, blowing the door off it's hinges and into the room.
  • The bomb exploded outside the room, shattering the door and blowing parts of it into the room.

Thank you!

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
In Hindi, we will describe the two things separately, 'Darwaza toota' (the door broke) and 'andar ja kar gira' (fell inside). For effect, we will add the sound of bomb 'Dhad' or 'phatak'. These different words will indicate how big the explosion was and the sound with what the door hit the floor. :D :)

Last edited: