• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Questions

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
I would even venture to say they have deep roots in paganism, sometimes forming the majority of their religion.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Native American, mostly Cherokee but I'm also very influinced by the Micmak, Abnaki, and the other tibes native to the area that I live in :D

wa:do

Yerda

Veteran Member
Although I suppose I have no excuse, I have no knowledge of Native American beliefs. Cherokee is a jeep to me which is kinda ironic since it guzzles fuel and pollutes the air, Geronimo and Dances With Wolves :shivers: are the only other words that spring to mind.

Oh and 'wa:do'. That means 'thank you'. Don't say I never teach you anything. :p

Care to return the favour and tell me some of that Native American wisdom?

Oh, oh, oh, Sioux. ;)

KemetBast

Hmmm, actually I know a few Jews who consider themselves Pagan. Oooo, how I dislike that definition.

Pagan comes from the word Paganus, meaning "country-dweller", because when many high figures converted to Christianity, many people following the Elder Faiths went out of the cities to avoid harrasment etc. Pagans are people who consider themselves Pagans, but mainly followers of the Old Religions, the ones of Europe/Meditarranean Area before Christianity came into 'power'.

KemetBast

truthseekingsoul said:
Although I suppose I have no excuse, I have no knowledge of Native American beliefs. Cherokee is a jeep to me which is kinda ironic since it guzzles fuel and pollutes the air, Geronimo and Dances With Wolves :shivers: are the only other words that spring to mind.

Oh and 'wa:do'. That means 'thank you'. Don't say I never teach you anything. :p

Care to return the favour and tell me some of that Native American wisdom?

Oh, oh, oh, Sioux. ;)
Oooo, what do you mean by "Wizzard" in your religion thingy?

skeeterboots

thats ridiculous! Christianity is from Christ. Christ is not from paganism. thats so silly to even suggest something like that. goofballs!

Master Vigil

There are many pagan influences within christianity skeeterbots. Christmas, easter, even the things jesus did were done by other pagan gods long before jesus.

Lycan

Preternatural
thats ridiculous! Christianity is from Christ. Christ is not from paganism. thats so silly to even suggest something like that. goofballs!
A bit of study will clear that right up.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
skeeterboots said:
That reflects a pretty simplistic understanding of the history of Christianity. Whether you are talking about the Christmas tree or Neo-Platonic philosophy, you are looking at pagan influences on Christianity.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Well Skeeterbots is correct in a way . Pagans were not called Pagans untill Christianity came along ... ;)

Lycan

Preternatural
Well Skeeterbots is correct in a way . Pagans were not called Pagans untill Christianity came along ... ;)
But christianity is just full of those traditions, customs and even god/dess(s) from the different exsisting religions that came to be known as pagan.;)

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
:) I was only trying to lighten things up a bit there Lycan . Yes , depending upon how one views it , Christianity is whole of " pagan " beliefs . But then , Christians are human too . ;)

As I said , Pagans were not called Pagans untill Christianity came along . Which may not be completely true , don't know and it really doesn't much matter . The important thing is why . But as been pointed out , this isn't a debate thread . So just take a sec to think about the politics behind religion . That is what this is all about , isn't it ? { I'm right and you are wrong type of thing ? }

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I can't remember if it's the term 'pagan' or 'heathen,' but they were called one of the two before Christianity. Romans used the word to refer to people that lived in the country.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
To whoever fruballed me for my sig: Sign your name. ;) That, and if you're curious, it's from The Sacrament by HIM (His Infernal Majesty).

I really wish I could have fit my favorite part of the song in my sig: "I hear you weep so far from me, and I taste your tears like you're next to me. And I know that weak prayers are not enough to heal... ah, the ancient wounds so deep and so dear."

But that juuust a little over 100 characters. :D ;)

This hijacking of an otherwise normal thread was brought to you by Jensa. Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.