• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Questions about Islam

Deidre

So, here is something I do know will be a slight struggle. I don't drink much but sometimes socially, I like to have wine or a fun alcoholic drink. I'll meet friends out for drinks sometimes and like tonight, I went out with my relatives in town for my grandmother's funeral, and someone bought a bottle of wine and so I had a glass. I guess I fail to see the "wrongness" in having alcohol on occasion. I think perhaps it could interfere with prayers and alcohol if not done in moderation, or can cause a person to not use sound judgment.

Anyway, just being honest.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I don't share your erroneous opinion. Simple as that. ;)

He does however have a point. There is something of an inherent oppressive element in wanting others to share of one's belief in God.

Belief in some deity (or even a lot) in itself is fine, if IMO a bit unfortunate. It can be useful and very constructive as a personal belief and a source of inspiration and motivation.

But expecting others to support it, let alone to make concessions to it... now, that is just not at all a good idea. For anyone.

JamesYaqub

Nobody Special
Care to flesh that out a bit?

He is one man. So was Joseph Smith and Abraham and Muhammad and Jesus and Zoroaster and the English King who began the Church of England. Jakob Amman was also. Mr. Phelps differs from these in that he is whacko. His followers, however, think he's the cat's meow. Herein lays the danger to society. The frailties of humanity, be they common or obscure, are nothing to do with logic. The thinking person will not dismiss his kind of crazy.

Deidre

He does however have a point. There is something of an inherent oppressive element in wanting others to share of one's belief in God.

Belief in some deity (or even a lot) in itself is fine, if IMO a bit unfortunate. It can be useful and very constructive as a personal belief and a source of inspiration and motivation.

But expecting others to support it, let alone to make concessions to it... now, that is just not at all a good idea. For anyone.

I agree. When I was a Christian, I didn't try to recruit people to my way of thinking but would explain much in the way I do here, my attraction to a particular faith belief. I was however indoctrinated into Christianity so I felt like it was never my own doing. It was something I grew to accept but once I started reasoning against it, I felt it wasn't based on truths. Likewise, if I convert to Islam, I won't try to recruit people to it. I will tell people but only to share if they ask.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
You know, Deidre, you make it look like whatever actual affinities you may have or have had in the past for the Christian doctrine and teachings have become casualties to the need to assert your own identity while under a fairly oppressive upbringing.

You have my sympathy. Here is hoping that you learn quickly, well and joyfully to understand and develop your natural religious inclinations. I have a hunch that you have lived way too long under the shadow of someone else's.

Deidre

You know, Deidre, you make it look like whatever actual affinities you may have or have had in the past for the Christian doctrine and teachings have become casualties to the need to assert your own identity while under a fairly oppressive upbringing.

You have my sympathy. Here is hoping that you learn quickly, well and joyfully to understand and develop your natural religious inclinations. I have a hunch that you have lived way too long under the shadow of someone else's.

Your hunch would be correct.
:(

And thank you :sunflower:

MD

qualiaphile
Dont waste your time on enemies like shahz.

They are soldiers of Satan.

May Allah guide him tho.

Bahahahahahahah

If you only knew the help I have given people and the work I do. You sicken me, but it's typical of your faith, to label me as such. I truly hate people like you, who do nothing more than to bring onto others over your fairy tales.

You may be able to brainwash people but in the end your religion, like every other in the history of man, will die. This I promise you.

I have done more in my life with my work than you will do in a trillion years with your holy book of myths.

Last edited:

MD

qualiaphile
Please do not insult me ... I haven't insulted you.

If you dismiss Islam as a dark religion or belief system, it is ok ...you are welcome to think this but I can't explain why I find it illuminating. But, I do. It is not necessary to follow it to have a good life but it is not a dark belief system. Every religion has its dark people within it who twist it for bad.

I will call out something for what it is. Islam is a path to darkness imo, and I feel bad that you have chosen this path. But in the end it is the very liberalism which will allow you to choose repression.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I will call out something for what it is. Islam is a path to darkness imo, and I feel bad that you have chosen this path. But in the end it is the very liberalism which will allow you to choose repression.

There may be something to that, Shahz. I will even say outright that I think there is, and I just barely disagree with you, if I do at all.

But please, let's not deny Deidre the space she needs to find her own heart. That is sort of the main goal in the first place, isn't it?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
He is one man. So was Joseph Smith and Abraham and Muhammad and Jesus and Zoroaster and the English King who began the Church of England. Jakob Amman was also. Mr. Phelps differs from these in that he is whacko. His followers, however, think he's the cat's meow. Herein lays the danger to society. The frailties of humanity, be they common or obscure, are nothing to do with logic. The thinking person will not dismiss his kind of crazy.
You're really comparing Phelps and his crazy bunch to the founders of world religions? Phelps essentially started a hate group (one that kicked him out of it before he died because he changed his views at the end of his life, apparently). Are you going to throw out the KKK as an example next? Charlie Manson? David Koresh? Marshall Applewhite? :rolleyes:

MD

qualiaphile
There may be something to that, Shahz. I will even say outright that I think there is, and I just barely disagree with you, if I do at all.

But please, let's not deny Deidre the space she needs to find her own heart. That is sort of the main goal in the first place, isn't it?

Would you allow a man join a neo Nazi organization and spread hate, if that's what he wanted in his 'heart'?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Oh my gosh! Are you kidding me? I just got home and scrolled through the thread...and saw this and gasped. Lol This is exactly how I feel!

Add to that...that I like that Muhammed isn't believed to be divine. He was a man, who was enlightened and shared his path with others. And he was fallible, which makes him more understandable to me. I have my own opinions of Sharia law, and I will share them another time.

I just can't believe what you posted Sha... ^_^

Can you answer my questions? :(

JamesYaqub

Nobody Special
You're really comparing Phelps and his crazy bunch to the founders of world religions? Phelps essentially started a hate group (one that kicked him out of it before he died because he changed his views at the end of his life, apparently). Are you going to throw out the KKK as an example next? Charlie Manson? David Koresh? Marshall Applewhite? :rolleyes:

The point, which plainly completely eludes you, is regarding the unpredictability of human beings. It is nothing to do with founding a religion vs modifying one. See this, without embellishments, and understand.

You must begin to realize that your's is not the only valid world view. Further a man is not required to modify his beliefs to suit those of another. Perhaps when you are older you will see this. This is my last response. I will not argue.

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Would you allow a man join a neo Nazi organization and spread hate, if that's what he wanted in his 'heart'?

I would ask myself what I can do to stop him, and how righteously so.

But since you are making this comparison, please allow me to point out that, dangerous as we may perceive Deidre's sympathies for Islam to be, ultimately we may have more to fear from our own influence on her perceptions.

Deidre has given plenty of evidence of a sensitive and well-meaning heart. One, I just learned, that has suffered from people trying to remote-control her beliefs.

So to me it looks like we may either respect her right and need to find out how best to express her religiosity - and yes, that may well involve going through vicinities I may like to advise her away from - or end up repeating the very mistake that hurt her in the first place.

I admit I do have hopes for some specific choices from her. But ultimately I can't hope to deserve her respect if I deny her her own.

MD

qualiaphile
I would ask myself what I can do to stop him, and how righteously so.

But since you are making this comparison, please allow me to point out that, dangerous as we may perceive Deidre's sympathies for Islam to be, ultimately we may have more to fear from our own influence on her perceptions.

Deidre has given plenty of evidence of a sensitive and well-meaning heart. One, I just learned, that has suffered from people trying to remote-control her beliefs.

So to me it looks like we may either respect her right and need to find out how best to express her religiosity - and yes, that may well involve going through vicinities I may like to advise her away from - or end up repeating the very mistake that hurt her in the first place.

I admit I do have hopes for some specific choices from her. But ultimately I can't hope to deserve her respect if I deny her her own.

Would you respect it if say someone became a neo Nazi?

MD

qualiaphile
And the irony is...your comments have been the most hateful in this thread.

Not really, criticizing an idea isn't hate. And Islam is simply an idea.

Then again I was called an enemy of Islam and a servant of Satan. And Islam has committed genocides throughout history with this belief.