• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question regarding Nicene Creed

NoraSariah

I visited a Methodist church a few times, and noticed they recited the Nicene Creed. In the creed, it says 'we believe in the Catholic church.' Why does the Methodist church use this creed if it mentions believing in Catholicism? Methodists are Methodists, and Catholics are Catholics. Or am I reading this wrong?

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
Not Methodist, but as someone who isn't a Roman/Eastern Catholic who recites the Nicene Creed at least weekly, I feel qualified to give a response, which I believe the Methodists would agree with.

"When we say "I believe in One, holy, catholic and apostolic Church", we don't mean "Catholic" as in the Catholic Church which is headed by the Bishop of Rome. When the Creed says "Catholic church," it doesn't mean the Catholicism headed by the Pope. Here's an excerpt from an Orthodox source that the Methodists would agree with:

The Church is also catholic because of its relation to God, Christ, and the Holy Spirit. The word catholic means full, complete, whole, with nothing lacking. God alone is full and total reality; in God alone is there nothing lacking.
Sometimes the catholicity of the Church is understood in terms of the Church’s universality throughout time and space. While it is true that the Church is universal—for all men at all times and in all places—this universality is not the real meaning of the term “catholic” when it is used to define the Church. The term “catholic” as originally used to define the Church (as early as the first decades of the second century) was a definition of quality rather than quantity. Calling the Church catholic means to define how it is, namely, full and complete, all-embracing, and with nothing lacking."

Now, to back out of this DIR... :run:

Last edited: