• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question on the Word in John

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
if i may but in . there was a time before the most high God created anything . soooo long ago we may not have a number that describes it.
how long did God think about it before he took action? piff, its not even possible for us to contemplate it .
And that answers the question on the Word...how?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Did God also create darkness?
yes

and the Carpenter gave instruction
Go to your closet and close the door
and the Spirit that knows you will hear your prayer

kinda dark in there....is it not?

and if ever a Voice would speak.....
would you STAY in the closet?

cataway

no everything arises from the one. only the form is destroyed. energy cannot be created/destroyed it only changes form, transforms. that form is a change in vibration/energy

everything, all forms, comes from and returns to that from whence it came. ecclesiastes 12:7

it all comes back to the name at exodus 3:14

pantheism

as also understood in AUM.
is fire energy?

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
and the Carpenter gave instruction
Go to your closet and close the door
and the Spirit that knows you will hear your prayer

kinda dark in there....is it not?

and if ever a Voice would speak.....
would you STAY in the closet?
Sorry, but huh?

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
John opens up with: "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."

I don't quite understand this. Clearly the author of the book is trying to parallel this with the opening of Genesis "In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth." However, Genesis opens up with stating that first time itself began/came into being - i.e. there was a beginning ("In the beginning"). Next, the verse makes mention of God. Where did God come from? That's not stated, but as God was already there at the beginning and we don't know where He came from, it's inferred that He was there before the beginning.

In John, however, things appear to be different:
First there's a beginning - much like in Genesis ("In the beginning") - but then says "was the Word" - as I understand, "was" is a word that denotes coming into existence - that is, the Word came into being after time began. Yet then we are told "...and the Word was God." - if in Genesis we are made to infer that God was before time began, and here the Word was - came into being - after time began, how then can the Word be God? And how then can it be said in the next verse "He was with God in the beginning."? One entity was pre-time and the other post-time.

I hope this makes sense...:sweatsmile:

The Word Jesus was God WHEN Jesus created. He was not "created to be God". At the time of Creation He was. He is the self-existent eternal One who was and is and is to come.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
Sorry, but huh?

He is talking about praying in secret. Seems to me to a be a reference to Matthew 5 or 6.

People pray in secret hoping their prayers will be answered but if a voice did speak to them they would probably run for their lives cos a voice in the dark is scary.

Ironically God created the darkness. He is a scary God.

I hope that is what he meant.