1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for the Christians

Discussion in 'Christianity DIR' started by Ori, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Ori

Ori Angel slayer

Ratings:
    +362
    How can Jesus be the true Messiah if he is of virgin birth?
    Because the Messiah must be a descendant of King David.

2. Mister Emu

Mister Emu Emu Extraordinaire
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,340
    Religion:
    Christian
    Orichalcum,

Through Mary He is blood related to David.

3. Scuba Pete

Scuba Pete Le plongeur avec attitude...

Ratings:
    +3,192
    Religion:
    Christian Taoist
    Whew! Thank-you, Mister Emu... I was sweatin' it for a moment there. I thought I was gonna have to deconvert! :D

• Like Like x 2
  4. michel

michel Administrator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,655
    Where do you get that from Mr Emu?:)

5. Mister Emu

Ratings:
    +1,340
    Religion:
    Christian
    Well, I can't remember the reference, but I read that in the (Talmud? not sure, a Jewish writing) a Mary the daughter of Heli was condemned, Heli just happens to be the father(mentioned after Joseph) in the Luke lineage.

I also read somewhere else that when you married someone then that the male was then regarded as the son of the mother's father.

6. Linus

Linus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +132
    I have heard the same. Although I have also heard that Mary's case is a peculiar one in that she had no brothers. So when she did get married, her husband would have been considered the son of her father anyway. Doesn't make a difference, but I thought I'd mention it. I hope that made sense.

7. Lloyd

Lloyd Member

Ratings:
    +25
    Does it really matter whether or not Jesus was descended from David or not? So here comes a carpenter from the backwaters of Israel who for some reason shows incredible wisdom regarding God, the purpose of the Mosaic law, life in the spirit, etc. despite his total lack of formal education. He was of spotless virtue and still proclaimed himself to be the Messiah. His life and ministry is ample proof that Jesus was wise enough to know the divine punishment awaiting somebody who falsely proclaims himself the Messiah. Yet still he fearlessly made the claim.

The way I see it all signs point to that he was the promised Messiah, whether or not he was actually descended biologically from David.

8. Linus

Linus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +132
    It does. Because God made the promise to David that that's how it would be. Take this verse for example...

2 Samuel 7: 12 When your days are over and you rest with your fathers, I will raise up your offspring to succeed you, who will come from your own body, and I will establish his kingdom. 13 He is the one who will build a house for my Name, and I will establish the throne of his kingdom forever. 14 I will be his father, and he will be my son.

Intrinsically, I guess It really doesn't matter whether or not Jesus was a descenant of David. But God set things up a certain way. He said that the Messiah would be a descendant of David, so that is what the Jews expected.

9. jorylore

jorylore Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Mary was of the tribe of Judah and a descendant of David. Hence it could be said of her son Jesus that he "sprang from the seed of David according to the flesh." (Rom. 1:3) Through his adoptive father Joseph, a descendant of David, Jesus had a legal right to David's throne, and through his mother, as the "offspring," "seed," and "root" of David, he held the natural hereditary right to "the throne of David his father."--Mt. 1:1-16; Lu 1:32; Ac 13:22, 23; 2 Ti 2:8; Re 5:5; 22:16.

10. Ceridwen018

Ceridwen018 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +399
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    http://www.simpletoremember.com/vitals/jewsandjesus.htm#1
    [/font]

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mister Emu

Ratings:
    +1,340
    Religion:
    Christian
    Ceridwen,

Are you supporting this view of scripture, or merely reporting its presence?

Because neither of those two verses implies that the messianic lineage must come from the father.

12. Ceridwen018

Ceridwen018 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +399
    I'm mostly reporting its presence. I looked up both of the verses myself and I agree with you, but I'm going to check other translations.

Have you looked at the rest of the site?

13. Mister Emu

Ratings:
    +1,340
    Religion:
    Christian
    No, I haven't, I will though presently.

14. roberto

roberto Active Member

Ratings:
    +35
    Jesus was a fable created by Emperor Constantine. In the year 352 they even made him out to be a god.

Jesus will never return.

15. Doulos

Doulos Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Jesus' virgin birth itself is a sign of his being the true Messiah.

The prophet Isaiah writes:
    Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel (which means "God with us").
    (Isaiah 7:14)

Peace be with you.