• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for Atheists...

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
No, not by gravity or magic. Simply chemistry for the basic interactions. The point is that 'thinking' isn't a thing, but a process. It is the result of trillions of atoms, not single ones.
Ah, simply chemistry you say. Simple? Like atoms simply coming about by chemical means? And then with their positive, neutral and negative charges? And then eventually thinking compositively? hmmm. (I don't think so, and -- no human really knows...)

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Atoms do not think. Thought is an emergent process that cannot be ascribed to the smallest of parts.
Someone here said that a collection of atoms think. So thought emerges from the right combination of atoms? :) Let me put it this way -- no matter what a person may posit about this, it's beyond me now. That means that I do not believe that atoms miraculously bonded together (you know, by magic or better yet, sheer THOUGHTLESS UNINTELLIGENT CHEMICAL MEANS) and thought thereby emerged from the right combination of atoms (magically). And that's about where I'm leaving this now.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Someone here said that a collection of atoms think. So thought emerges from the right combination of atoms? :) Let me put it this way -- no matter what a person may posit about this, it's beyond me now. That means that I do not believe that atoms miraculously bonded together (you know, by magic or better yet, sheer THOUGHTLESS UNINTELLIGENT CHEMICAL MEANS) and thought thereby emerged from the right combination of atoms (magically). And that's about where I'm leaving this now.
When you phase your sentences so poorly there is no purpose in giving you an answer. Right now you do not even know enough to ask the right questions.

We Never Know

No Slack
What evidence for an alternative do you have?
To be clear, I'm asking for evidence, not beliefs.

Darkstorn

This shows how unique i am.
In my defense I want to say, in Finnish, rain can mean water in any form. :D

Incorrect. I'm a native Finnish speaker.

Finnish is not an Indo-European language. Sometimes there are no true equivalents to words, only practical ones. The word "rain" does not directly translate into Finnish.

We use the word "sade" which means "things falling from the sky."

It can even mean kittens falling from the sky. The word-combination to mean "rain" is vesisade. It's a compound word comprising of the words "vesi" and "sade." "Vesi" means water.

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Finnish is not an Indo-European language. Sometimes there are no true equivalents to words, only practical ones. The word "rain" does not directly translate into Finnish.

It can even mean kittens falling from the sky. The word-combination to mean "rain" is vesisade. It's a compound word comprising of the words "vesi" and "sade." "Vesi" means water.

INFORMATIVE

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Ah, simply chemistry you say. Simple? Like atoms simply coming about by chemical means? And then with their positive, neutral and negative charges? And then eventually thinking compositively? hmmm. (I don't think so, and -- no human really knows...)

You are trying to understand a mountain by looking at the grains of sand that makes it up. Thinking only happens when a LOT of atoms come together in the right configuration. Individual atoms do not think. Even hundreds of atoms together do not think.

Someone here said that a collection of atoms think. So thought emerges from the right combination of atoms? :)
Yes, precisely. You are made up of atoms. And you think. So certain collections of atoms are able to think. A car is also made up of atoms. But that car cannot think. So there are also large collections of atoms that cannot think.
Let me put it this way -- no matter what a person may posit about this, it's beyond me now.
Can you understand that you are made of atoms?
That means that I do not believe that atoms miraculously bonded together (you know, by magic or better yet, sheer THOUGHTLESS UNINTELLIGENT CHEMICAL MEANS) and thought thereby emerged from the right combination of atoms (magically). And that's about where I'm leaving this now.
OK. But it sounds like a *you* problem, not a problem with the claim.

Audie

Veteran Member

Seems in the Kingdom of snow, there would
be a clear distinction between water drops and
snow flakes.

It seems to me that you didn't understand what I said. But, I agree, "sataa/sade" means "things falling from the sky". And if for example we translate it to english, with google translator, it gives "it rains/rain". So, Google translator doesn't seem to agree with you in that "rain" is always "vesisade", and I think the translator is correct in this case, which makes me to doubt that you are a real Finn. :D

Audie

Veteran Member
It seems to me that you didn't understand what I said. But, I agree, "sataa/sade" means "things falling from the sky". And if for example we translate it to english, with google translator, it gives "it rains/rain". So, Google translator doesn't seem to agree with you in that "rain" is always "vesisade", and I think the translator is correct in this case, which makes me to doubt that you are a real Finn. :D
You really don't get it that your " rain in Antarctica
invalidating ice core dating " is garbage.

Darkstorn

Using "sade" to strictly refer to water falling from the sky is a colloquial use case / slang. Almost everyone will understand it but it could be misconstrued.

The word itself has nothing to do with water. Remember: I was replying to a post where you claim in Finnish rain can mean water in any form.

No: it can refer to precipitation in any form. It never means water or any of its forms.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Using "sade" to strictly refer to water falling from the sky is a colloquial use case / slang. Almost everyone will understand it but it could be misconstrued.

The word itself has nothing to do with water. Remember: I was replying to a post where you claim in Finnish rain can mean water in any form.

No: it can refer to precipitation in any form. It never means water or any of its forms.
In any form?

1688315529041.png

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Even that form.
it would be interesting to know how one would say "Sharknado" in Finnish. But then I don't think that climate wise that Finland has very many tornados. I grew up in Minnesota in the US, A state with a significant number of descendants of Finnish immigrants. I myself am about half Finnish by descent. And some of my relatives still have an accent that reflects their Finnish roots. On YouTube when I first saw "The Hydraulic Press" channel I became an instant fan since their English reminded me of those relatives.

I do not speak a lick of Finnish, but it is interesting in hearing about the language of my ancestors.

Darkstorn

it would be interesting to know how one would say "Sharknado" in Finnish. But then I don't think that climate wise that Finland has very many tornados. I grew up in Minnesota in the US, A state with a significant number of descendants of Finnish immigrants. I myself am about half Finnish by descent. And some of my relatives still have an accent that reflects their Finnish roots. On YouTube when I first saw "The Hydraulic Press" channel I became an instant fan since their English reminded me of those relatives.

I do not speak a lick of Finnish, but it is interesting in hearing about the language of my ancestors.

Interesting stuff. Also, thou shalt receive:

The "norm" in Finnish is to use loanwords to refer to tornados or hurricanes. In this instance, English is used as the basis.

The name of the movie series in Finnish is Haihurrikaani: "Hai" for "shark" and "hurrikaani" for well... You know.

But the more appropriate term would be "haipyörremyrsky." Which directly translates to "swirly storm of sharks."

And as a bonus: "Haisade" is an appropriate term for sharks falling from the sky.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

The "norm" in Finnish is to use loanwords to refer to tornados or hurricanes. In this instance, English is used as the basis.

The name of the movie series in Finnish is Haihurrikaani: "Hai" for "shark" and "hurrikaani" for well... You know.

But the more appropriate term would be "haipyörremyrsky." Which directly translates to "swirly storm of sharks."

And as a bonus: "Haisade" is an appropriate term for sharks falling from the sky.
Thank you very much.

Heyo

Veteran Member

Interesting. The German word for shark is also Hai.

Darkstorn

Interesting. The German word for shark is also Hai.
So it is probably a loanword in itself.

One of the "main" features of Finnic languages for linguists is the retention of ancient proto-Germanic words through cultural influence even though they're not even from related language groups.

For example: the current Finnish word for "king" is "kuningas," from proto-Germanic "kuningaz."

It is thought at least 1/3 of all Finnish words are loanwords from Germanic languages.